Terrible return with Chase / Subaru / Autovin

FYI, turned in a 2018 Subaru Outback recently and had a terrible time with Autovin and Chase and Subaru. They really nit picked the car and said I had $1400 in damages. I am posting a few pics from the report, but each of these was around a “$200” repair and added up. I called and they said they waive $1000 of this (so I owe $400 on top of the return fee) but I am really annoyed that they are this picky. I never had this sort of issue with Toyota. I will avoid Chase / Autovin / Subaru in the future for sure. I really feel like they are WAY too picky on these. What do you think?

Seems like a lot of scratches (7 @ $200 each). If you are on the hook for $400 I think you did pretty good.

3 Likes

definitely seems nit picky, most of these seem like regular wear and tear…but since chase gives a $1k voucher, autovin maybe just listing it for whatever reason that is unknown, since the customer would not be on the hook for most of it regardless

damn… I’ve returned Lexus and BMW with much more damage than you have here.

BMW forgave a lot worse before. Though $400 is not too bad either.

Just on the side note. Have You ever tried scratch remover? I have used many times and it worked in most cases. Maybe I am mistaken but based on Your pictures some of them are fixable.

1 Like

If you were buying the same car used from a dealer, would you be generous and say no matter all these dings are regular wear and tear or would you want those fixed and/or price reduced…

4 Likes

I haven’t ever nit picked about a few scratches on a 3 year old car. I was pretty certain that any used car is expected to have some minor scratches. I guess next time I buy a used car I will demand flawless paint.

I have buffed out scratches way worse than those. That is ridiculous. But spend 30 mins with polish before turn in and you could avoid those. They’ll get it done for $100, so, sure, they’ll take your $400 quite happily.

Did you not get a report prior to turn in? ALWAYS do that. I can’t even tell what they are showing in pic 3.

It’s really strange how these experiences vary. The Volt I just grounded with no inspection went back with minor hail damage on the roof, rear quarter panel and hood and a rear passenger window that my youngest son thought would be fun to scratch with a rock (I was able to polish some of it out). I initially had a $260 something balance on my account that was zeroed out after the car was sold at auction.

Always return/have inspection when the car is dirty, then they can’t see the scratches, preferably after a snow storm

3 Likes

If I did the inspection on my last lease return, I would have made a lot of notes. But the guy who did the inspection barely even gave the car a walk-around and was on his way in 2 minutes. Never got billed for damage. I may or may not have taken a black marker to some of the paint :rofl:

Looks like Posters AutoVin inspector is really pissed at him to hit him up on things that are W&T.

Yes! I rarely wash my cars anyway, and they are always “as is” during inspections with Autovin.

1 Like

Oh the old sharpie trick, that’s standard practice for used car sales(and maybe new, don’t ask questions). Comes off after the first wash! LOL! Only benefit of black vehicles.

2 Likes

Three prior Chase leases and not surprised. They just take the Autovin report and generate a bill.

Did you read through the guide they gave you when you signed your lease, on what counted as excess wear and tear? That looks like it to me.

The COVID effect and grounding a car uninspected also opened Poster up to this.

1 Like

I was concerned for everyone who did, but in this case I don’t think it was the difference between a bill and no bill, I think they might have gotten their paperwork for insurance slightly easier.

Usually the inspector goes over with the owner the cars condition and explains why X is $$$ and why Y is $, Poster here might’ve been able to get a couple of items knocked off or realized that the picture is bad but the scratch is deep.