Terminating lease early ... before going lemon

The two main car forums I check daily are for my Alfa Romeo and the other here for leasing. I posted this on the AR forum to get their perspective and wondering how people on this forum have dealt with a similar situation with other brands.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

“I’ve always loved this forum and have learned a ton about AR and cars in general but looking for some advice regarding my 18 Giulia Ti.

Please note, this is not some AR bashing. I participate in S. FL Alfa club and constantly advocate for this brand but at this point, I need to cut my losses and make sure my family is safe.

It’s a two-year lease with 6 months left. Currently have 22k miles on it and have had a bunch of electrical issues the first year. In the shop more times than I can remember but each time the problem was fixed, loaner was provided … so just sucked it up to owning an Italian.

The biggest issue I had was the engine replaced back in December. The whole thing was an absolute embarrassment from the start. You can read more about here but bottom line, eventually it was completed, and I was on my way.

2.0 Engine Replacement …

About a week after the engine was replaced, started getting a Christmas tree worth of lights upon starting the car. Throttle, ESE, auto/stop, etc and would be stuck in N mode. I would have to drive a block or two, restart my car and the put it back in D mode. This occurred 1-2 times a week. Very busy with work and just dealt with the inconvenience. Finally had time to bring it in and they replaced the steering column rack. That was a 2-week ordeal but at least had a reliable loaner.

Picked up the car ready to enjoy my car. The next day, dash lit up again. Now starting to lose my patience. Happened 2-3 more times in the next two weeks. Then while driving, dash cut out and restarted (which has happened before) but this time also got an ABS light flash and it felt like the car turned off but didn’t.

Last weekend, I go out to my car and it’s completely dead. Tow comes on Monday and they kept it until Wed. They couldn’t replicate anything. Picked it up and first 48 hours fine. My wife jokingly said she was taking the car to go food shopping and to have my phone on me “just in case”. No joke, upon shopping , the car wouldn’t start. After a few resets, it turns over. She is now over this car.

I was hesitant to drive it over this weekend … that’s how much faith I have lost. Anyways, drove it about 30 minutes down to Ft. Lauderdale for work yesterday. No problems … whew … I made it.

Last night, decide to take a nice 10-mile ride to Delray Beach to just see how many people are out there. Everything is great until I get a throttle error followed by a check engine light. I start to pull over to an open spot and make it halfway in the spot and halfway in the middle of a busy strip. Car just died and the car behind me hits the break. After two hours, tow comes and brings it back to my driveway, where it’s sitting now. Having it towed to the dealer tomorrow and will be meeting with the general manager to start.

Bottom line, I don’t feel comfortable driving this car anymore. Now it’s much more than a huge inconvenience, it’s the safety of myself and family. Wife refuses to go it in now.

I have 6 months left on the lease. Do I start Lemon Law, knowing that it will probably take 30-90 days, demand a replacement (loaner) for remaining time, insist on talking to regional manager, etc?

At a loss for the next steps. No matter what they tell me they’ve fixed, I don’t want to drive this car ever again.

What would you advise?”

What reason would you have for not starting to explore a lemon claim?

1 Like

I guess time - with 6 months left.
If I could get out without having to deal with the bs of filing but not sure if that’s possible?

Talk to a lemon attorney. Most lemon law cases never get filed. The attorney sends a letter to the manufacturer outlining how you satisfy the state lemon law requirements and they settle.

4 Likes

What reason did he have not starting it earlier? Now he might have only 2k miles left or 2k over for the remaining 6 months and is trying to avoid overage penalty. Or he may have 8k miles, of course, but then the first part still stands - why not earlier

they will look over your paper work for free and take on the case no charge to you if its win able.
1 Like

Its a 2 year lease with 15k miles per year. Currently at 22k, so about 1k under.

Didn’t start it earlier because wanted my car fixed and to enjoy the last few months but it’s gotten out of control now and it’s become a safety issue to my family.

Is there any chance dealer will terminate lease early or will I have to go through the attorneys?

Thanks Chaoz90 for the link.

There’s 0 reason to not go through an attorney here. Just call them up.

Surprising how you managed for 1.5 years, but now you’ll probably save only couple of months with decent amount of time spent on this.
Our resident lemon expert @jeisensc can chime in

Depending on when the first documented issue was, a large amount of money could be recouped here.

With my wife’s Lincoln that we went down the lemon path with, we settled with Ford and turned in the lease on schedule rather than the buy it back.

They handled both of my successful :lemon: law cases. Can’t say enough good about the whole team.

I guess if that’s all I am to you…BTW check out my citrus trees :baby_symbol::lemon::seedling::baby_symbol::tangerine::seedling:

Get copies of every single repair order, sort them in chronological order, unstaple them and scan them, and have them ready for the lemon lawyer to review once you fill out the inquiry form on their website.

It’s all going to come down to documentation which an attorney should review.

3 Likes

thank you all for the input.

Will get all repair orders tomorrow.