Sub-1% deal on 2017 Ford Fusion SE Energi Luxury

Year, Make, Model, and Trim: [2017 Ford Fusion SE Energi Luxury]

MSRP: [$37,520] = $33,120 + $4,400 in options (paint, driver assist, moonroof, 18" wheels, Sync3-Nav)
Selling Price: [$27,336] includes $5500 of ford factory incentives, roughly 2.5% below invoice.
Rebates: [$0]
Trade-in: [$0]

Months: [36]
Annual Mileage: [10,500]

MF: [2.5%]
Residual: [13020] - 48.5%

Security Deposit: [$0]
Total Due At Signing: [$2789] - $1551 downpayment, $645 acquisition, $295 1st-month, license/ev/tire fee.
Monthly Payment (incl. tax): [$295]

Zip Code: [94306]
Sales Tax Rate: [9%]

Leasehackr Score: [10]

The total monthly expense ($365) is below 1% of MSRP ($375).
A federal rebate of $4007 was received by Ford for a plug-in hybrid car.
It’s possible to get improved overnight electric rates from PG&E.
My employer provides free charging and it’s possible to get an additional $1500 from CA rebates.
Sticker says $750 a year in fuel costs, so over 3 years I could save an additional:
($1500+$2150)/36 = $101 per month, net cost = $264 per month.

This deal was negotiated on the last day of the month, negotiation started 3d before the end of the month. The dealer said it was a great deal because it was the last day of the month. For more information about this, listen to “This American Life” podcast episode about how car dealers make their money.

Interesting. I had the 2015 version of this car and loved it, other than the trunk space. If you don’t need trunk space, it is all good. Solar, plus plugging it in at home was great, as was the carpool lane sticker.

I am also in California. Can you share dealer?

1 Like

Here are two dealers that gave me similar offers in Northern California, one was on a stripped-down car, another was on a loaded car, which is the one that I went for. Note that negotiating when the dealer is trying to make a monthly quota, on the last day of the month, was a very effective strategy. Incentives end on 4/2 so please make this deal in MARCH. The mega-incentives direct from ford ($5500) on 2017 models make this deal very attractive; the dealer cannot touch those deals on a 2018 model. The only thing ford did in 2018 is to play musical chairs with the options, so why not drive a 2017, you’ll still get 3 years of new-car experience …

Capitol Ford of San Jose (only 1 car / 2017 left)
Livermore Ford, Livermore, CA (only 1 car / 2017 left)

I am afraid that these dealers might have exhausted their 2017 car supply. You might try this dealer which seemed to advertise good deals and had a lot of 2017 Ford Fusion Energi cars available :slight_smile:

Marin County Ford, Marin (5 cars / 2017 available)

The Hybrid model (42-44mpg) is more popular (the cars sell in a ratio of 6-gas : 3-hybrid : 1-plug-in on carsdirect.com) and is also a really great car and has 12 vs. 8cu ft. of trunk space and better acceleration. I think I’m going to get some soft duffel bags to maximize our use of trunk space in the energi model, and you could do likewise with the hybrid.