Strategizing Substantial Mileage Overage on BMW

Volvo and Lease Over miles should never be in the same discussion, lol. Volvo is the absolutely worst to get out of especially if over miles.

An alternative is to lease another car very cheaply and spread the miles to that. Some of the 2023 Ariya’s (if available) are going for <$200/mo for 18 months. Some even cheaper than that. (You can buy extra miles for 10 cents each too). Of course, you have to pay insurance and additional registration. But if you can get one of those <$100/mo Ariyas, it might work out. It might not. It depends on whether you want to deal with another car, and an electric vehicle at that.

Example Ariya. Signed: 2023 Ariya Platinum+ e-4orce 18m/10 66.29/month 0DAS

1 Like

[quote=“mdd, post:22, topic:566238, full:true”]
An alternative is to lease another car very cheaply and spread the miles to that. Some of the 2023 Ariya’s (if available) are going for <$200/mo for 18 months. Some even cheaper than that. (You can buy extra miles for 10 cents each too). Of course, you have to pay insurance and additional registration. But if you can get one of those <$100/mo Ariyas, it might work out. It might not. It depends on whether you want to deal with another car, and an electric vehicle at that.

Example Ariya. Signed: 2023 Ariya Platinum+ e-4orce 18m/10 66.29/month 0DAS

I thought about this, but lease for 18 months is likely 3600, plus insurance it will likely be a wash or more expensive.

I think my wife will drive it into the ground and re-evaluate closer to lease end. I already replaced the tires, rears were shot already, but the fronts have enough tread for lease return.

Running costs such as gas, tires, maintenance are fine- just hoping I can get lucky before lease end and unload the care for less than $4k out of pocket.

Ya the buyout will be right above $30k.

I was just thinking about the mileage- I drive a X5 and crazy that the mileage charges are the same for both with 50k vs 80k msrp cars.

I suppose for 7 series and X7 the mileage overage is probably close to buying them ahead of time.

I was thinking only other option is to switch to EV and then running costs like gas and oil changes would be offset.

i4 leases are pretty good this month- if I could get an offer for $34k maybe I could roll 5 k negative equity into a lease and maybe have a similar payment with 15k miles per year? Still would have a mileage overage unless mileage changed…

If you’re in an owned car or are tracking to be under miles on your lease, swapping cars every now and again could help too if that works for your family. From the numbers, every commute day you save on your wife’s car is like $15 in savings!

You don’t have to pay sales tax if you line up a buyer and do it within (10?) business days. It may minimize your other lease end costs especially if you don’t plan to lease another BMW.

Ok but why an i4 when there are so many EVs at a fraction of the price?

Especially when you factor in excess miles and tire replacements.

If the payment is good maybe put it up for lease transfer? Also you can offer an incentive less than the $4,750 and come out on top by getting into a more suitable vehicle earlier.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.