Story Time - Grab your popcorn!

Not all, but about 75%.

The standard for car dealers is to be as manipulative as possible. I’ve seen the YouTube videos to train salespeople. If you try to manipulate people, they should be rude back. It’s the dealers fault full stop. Don’t complain when people aren’t nice when you try to manipulate them.

1 Like

You were being a jerk long before anything regarding your trade in was determined. “ be honest” “ I don’t want to hear “

This conversation is also like two 13 yr olds texting. Maybe have some respect for the person you are trying to do a business deal with.

14 Likes

I agree with your true car part of convo. I thought it was rude at first but reread the texts and the TCO price is the price is the price……I would be upset also.

But one part of convo I would be annoyed at, as a salesman/ manager/ or owner, is when you asked if car was a loaner and they replied it was not. But you go on to tell them the car is a loaner.

1 Like

Sending someone a text saying “be honest is it used by the owner or the service department” is being a jerk?

2 Likes

Clearly there are two opposing POV that are never gonna align. Let’s slow this down otherwise it will inevitably get locked for beating a dead horse.

5 Likes

You were both wrong, but you were a dick from the very beginning, you wanted a fight and you treated the guy with no respect. He said the Wagoneer was the owners car after you asked him to verify. He said owners again, and you called it a service loaner, basically calling him a liar.

It’s much easier to just be professional, yet firm. You get better results. You wanted to be a dick and sh*t on the guy though, congrats.

12 Likes

I think you were both wasting each other’s time. It seems like something that started out with him basically saying “it needs to be inspected before we can agree on a price” and being non-committal and you both turned it into a pissing match after that.

As always, this seems like something that could have been very easily shortcutted by simply saying “I want your jeep for x price, I have this trade that your site has said this, pending approved credit and the trade being in the condition as described, this is my offer” and just let him say yes or no.

7 Likes

At a certain point you walk away, you clearly aren’t getting anywhere and besides you have a good offer from another dealer so whats the issue.

Yes, salesperson is wrong about not honoring the price and you called him out but it clearly didn’t go anywhere. That’s your que to say, “have a nice day :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have a question… maybe it was mentioned before.

But if this was just a lowly salesperson… who like you said (cannot make decisions like cancelling truecar)

Why did you insist on being very rude to him and not ask to speak to a decision maker.

13 Likes

Went into this wanting to side with the buyer, now I’m siding with the salesman/owner.

1 Like

It just says the dealer is obligated to offer them that price on Truecar’s behalf pending inspection. However, the dealer is under no obligation to buy it themselves.

Again, read above. I am saying the dealer is under no obligation to buy it on their own. As I stated before, Truecar is the one cutting the check and the dealer is a middleman.

I don’t know why they care so much. Truecar will reimburse the dealer for the purchase if they pass on it.

I worked at a dealer that piloted the KBB instant cash offer program. I know what I am talking about on the dealer side. The service is a lead generator and a tool to under appraise a trade-in and nothing more. Let me explain how it works using the section 18, which you kindly provided. FYI I don’t work for a dealer now that participates in this program -

“In the event that the inspection reveals misrepresentations and/or inconsistencies in the vehicle condition identified by you, the Participating Dealer may (1) refuse to purchase the vehicle or (2) provide a revised True Cash Offer to you based on the actual condition of the vehicle as determined through the inspection (for clarity, such revised True Cash Offer shall invalidate and replace any prior True Cash Offers created prior to the Participating Dealer’s inspection).”

Guess what, whoever is inspecting it found a small scratch, curb rash, or anything else not reported and now instead of being worth $69,900 that KKB said, it is now worth $65,000. Nothing you can do about it either since the terms says a final inspection can invalidate previous offers. Honestly, I would stay away from KBB/TrueCar cash offers. It is pure lead generation and nothing more.

On a side note, I realize that as a customer you don’t think this way but as a sales person, I read “seeing what dealer is most serious about selling Wagoneer” as the same as the guy walking in, waving their title, and shouting “who wants to sell a car today”. Everyone runs for the bathroom or service while the new guy gets to waste a few hours of their time with a difficult customer. Also I got a little laugh from the salesperson pretending to be the owner. And you can complain as much as you want for that dealer to be kicked off the program, but TrueCar wants that dealer/dealer group to pay their monthly subscription fee.

6 Likes

Why are we surprised an independent dealer wouldn’t honor the true car offer? Autonation dealers refuse to honor the Autonation offers all the time.

OP was 100% rude from the rip. To me it seemed OP was desperate to get the 69.9k because it was way better than any other offer he got. I’ve been there and done that.

It seems you cherry picked section 18 of the TOS of the true car offer. This was in the previous paragraphs “ Each True Cash Estimate is for informational purposes only and does not constitute, and should not be construed as, a True Cash Offer or otherwise as an offer by TrueCar, a dealer or any third party to purchase your used motor vehicle. All True Cash Offers are subject to inspection and verification of the vehicle by, or on behalf of, the purchasing dealer, as well as the terms of, and your full compliance with, these Terms of Service and any other applicable terms.”

3 Likes

OP you seem truly insufferable! Jesus, why the f**k would you post something so personally embarrassing to yourself? Get help Simone.

18 Likes

Truecar is owned by dealership association lobbies. There is nothing in the terms of service that will actually help the consumer… it is not a consumer tool, it is a tool for dealers to generate leads.

Complaining to truecar about this dealer will do nothing… OP doesn’t pay Truecar anything, the real customer is the dealership.

OP was 100% way too aggressive and impolite throughout the entire conversation especially right out of the gate. Starting with the first screenshot I interpreted their wording as “I’m an informed customer and know what I got. Give me what I want on my terms.” At least terms like “thank you” and “I appreciate your help.” You said “sorry” only once and that was in the very first text. Every text after that put the salesman on the back foot.

With that being said… I believe the salesman was 100% wrong for their unprofessional behavior. They definitely should have been more polite and probably just given up the lead.

OP, once you saw that you weren’t going to get what you want how you wanted, you should have just pulled chalks and tried another dealer. Dealers are a dime a dozen in the states. No need to force a square peg into a round hole.

11 Likes

Looks like your post backfired on you bud :rofl:

6 Likes

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: these threads usually happen on Monday mornings…

7 Likes

I asked him about it being the owners vehicle versus a service loaner and then called it a “loaner”…didn’t say service loaner. Does it really matter what it’s called? It’s a “new” vehicle with 3k miles on it. Should have said demo instead of a loaner. Somehow that makes me a dick? Come on…

As I said previously, I knew it wasn’t going anywhere after the first 2-3 screenshots worth of text. Why did I continue? Deep down I was hoping they’d correct their mistake. They didn’t and at that point I just kept going out of principle and in the hopes that they’d learn something.

Because if he’s a newer salesperson then he doesn’t have access to any trade-in values etc anyways. He’s getting all the info from someone higher up. So either way…that was going to be the final answer anyways.

So you went into this wanting to side with me because the dealer was wrong but then you were influenced by the “you’re rude” comments and all of a sudden their obligation to honor the truecar offer suddenly went poof?

True but I got one of those online quotes from Autonation last fall and they not only honored it, they gave me about $500 more than what they sent me originally in order to make the deal happen. So the lesson is that not all dealers are created equally. No?

1. Last fall Autonation paid me about $500 more than the quote they emailed me so…maybe they do things a bit differently? Also, “rude” is such an emotional term…this is business…i’m not looking for a girlfriend. Maybe it’s a geographical difference but in the northeast there’s a stark difference between rude and direct.

2. It seems like you failed to comprehend what you copied and pasted in your attempt at a “gotcha” moment. TrueCar has a “TrueCar Estimate” and a “TrueCar Offer”. They’re 2 different things. What you copied from the page says the estimate isn’t an offer…again…they’re 2 different things.

Oh look how cute, a personal attack because you have absolutely nothing to add to the discussion.

Backfired? Why? Because there’s some posters that look at things from an “emotional” standpoint while ignoring the actual facts of what took place? Oh that’s right…because someone feels offended that I wasn’t a complete pushover that it somehow justifies disregarding the contractual obligation a dealer has to honor a cash offer. Or is it because the LH broker with overpriced vehicles and horrible people skills that supplies pom poms to cheer on dishonest dealers says so?

So let’s recap so far…

Some recognize the typical dealer games this dealership was playing and say he was in the wrong.

Some also recognize the typical dealer games the dealership was playing and say he was in the wrong but think my approach was too direct or aggressive.

Some throw out the facts and rely on emotions to make a determination that because I didn’t say please/sorry after every text that I was rude and therefore it excuses the dealer from their contractual obligation with TrueCar to actually value the trade at the stated amount.

Last category is the LH broker that is the official cheerleader of dealerships worldwide…especially those who don’t honor their deals.

Missing anything?

1 Like

Can you imagine trying to do a Facebook marketplace deal with the OP? Selfish, entitled, and stubborn.

11 Likes

Thread started out as a possibly difficult customer, then a definitely difficult customer, then outright rude and nasty, and now the mask finally comes off. OP is simply a vile person who isn’t actually looking for input/advice, but reassurance; this thread is a good example of the expression “misery loves company.” No amount of discussion can make OP less miserable, that desire must come from within.

Blessings

12 Likes

My 2 cents.

I definitely think OP could have communicated way better. If I am on the other side, I would interpret it as being rude or insulting. OP either has a cringeworthy communication skills (but good intentions) OR he feels entitled. I am not sure which one it is.

I do think that calling out dealership on refusing to honor a price of a program they participate with is the right thing to do. May be not the best use of one’s time but not wrong in itself.

TrueCar (or other such programs) may not actually be favorable to consumers but they sure are advertised as such. So what’s wrong about calling it out?

You of course want to be professional or respectful in everything you do in life, not just when discussing a car deal but you can still complain. No? (this is in response to folks implying that OPs argument is wrong in principle)

Dealer could have said something like " Sure, we can definitely honor TrueCar price as we participate in that program. We will of course need to inspect the vehicle for accurate description".

BTW, I have dealt with Deland before. They assured me (on phone) that they will honor KBB instant cash offer. When I showed up, (drove 100+ miles) they said they will only honor what CarMax offers. I said its fine. I will not trade in or sell my car. The deal did not happen because we could not come to an agreement on the car that I wanted to buy. They were quite a bit over what they advertised on their website. So I just walked away. No big deal. No surprises. Happens most of the times.

7 Likes