Staying home thread # 498: What instruments are in your home?

I can’t be the only wanna e musician here.

Here are my two most loved music makers. On the left is an Eastman AC422CE I just picked up. She was a blem so I stole her at a 50% discount from MSRP. On the right in a late 70’s Alvarez 5022 that has some wear and dings, but she’s got stories to tell, most of the starting with “Hold my beer!”

The Alvarez was dad’s, and despite being a humble instrument it plays and sounds like a pretty decent guitar and I don’t have to worry about Incurring bumps and bruises.

As I start rummaging thru the house, I’ve chosen to omit a dandy PRS SE Tremonti, the Rogue $100 bass, the Casio keyboard my daughter is “learning,” and a tiny portable xylophone.

:bat:

1 Like

Who’s your favorite guitarist?

1 Like

Cody Canada
Mike Ness
David Gilmour
EVH
Brad Paisley
John Mayer
Dave Mathews
Buddy Guy
Jim Heath
Warner Hodges

I can’t stop.

No love for Mark Knopfler?

2 Likes

Anyone else learning any new fun pieces? My instrument is nothing special - just a digital piano in my apartment. While I’ve been staying at home, though, I’ve started trying to pick up some new classical music. I’ve recently worked through Fantasie Impromptu and Clair de Lune, and I’m currently focusing on Chopin Etude Op. 25, No. 1 “Aoelian Harp”, and some simple Yiruma stuff.

2 Likes

No dislike for Knopfler, just never somehow got into it. He’s unbelievably talented to be certain. I’d put Lindsey Buckingham in that same category. Phenomenal musicians, maybe not my taste.

I’ve been trying to learn some old hillbilly guitar stuff like Big Sandy River and Last Steam Engine Train @jananth1.

1 Like

No pics with me, but have the following instruments

Taylor 314CE - owned since 2005
Ovation Celebrity Standard - owned since 2003
Martin Backpacker - owned since 2004
Hagstrom Super Swede Electric - owned since 2018

And for fun got the kids (aka me) a Loog 3 string acoustic and a Loog 3 String Electric

Tempted to now get a baby taylor mahogany acoustic soon. Something simple to leave out that I can grab at any time and not worry about kids destroying it.

1 Like

Ibanez AEG10II Cutaway in Black with Abalone Inlay - owned since 2003

Certainly not expensive but I just LOVE the aesthetics. It’s freakin’ gorgeous! And I’m a self-taught wannabe on guitar anyway so…:laughing: Was trained on classical piano at a very young age and then didn’t play at all until I picked up a guitar in my 20’s.

3 Likes

My kid has a Contra bass and we have an electronic keyboard. We also have a couple of recorders, does that count?

1 Like

Only if you can play something other than hot cross buns

Good grief, how much practicing are you doing on the piano to be able to play such pieces???

Back when I was playing more often, I liked both of Debussy’s Arabesques (#1 moreso than #2) and liked Bach’s Invention #8.

1 Like

Haha, for the last couple months, I’ve practiced anywhere between 30 min to 1.5 hours a day. Way more than when I was taking lessons :laughing: I took lessons from 3rd grade through college, so I’ve been playing for a while.

Those are all excellent (had to look up the Invention, but immediately recognized it). I appreciate Debussy much more now than when I was younger - I’m planning to continue exploring his music in the future

2 Likes