Spot delivery issue with NorCal Toyota dealer

Signed for a new Grand Highlander Platinum on Friday after lots of back and forth negotiating on the phone over many days. Have copies of all the deal sheets they sent. We eventually locked in the lowest available MF at .00311, drive offs only on a 39 months lease with $2,500 off MSRP. Same MF was offered for the 36 months lease option by the sales person but the monthly payment was $865 on the 39 months vs $909 on the 36 months lease.
Today we get a call from the dealership that we need to re-sign for 36 months or bring the car back. Toyota financial can’t do the MF at 39 months and won’t sign off on it.
They further told us that, if we were to not do the latter by Friday, they would report the car stolen. Ironically they made another error that my wife caught and used the wrong residual where all of a sudden the monthly would’ve been $937.
Our alternative is an Acura MDX advance for around 750 with drive offs only but it’s a smaller car. My wife wants to sign for the $909 and move on with our lives and keep the Grand Highlander but the people at the dealership, including the owner, are such jerks that it leaves a foul taste in my mouth.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, we have family in town, and two babies. The dealership is an hour away. It’s all a major hassle… but only for us. They have a vested interest in getting the car back because the person who gave us the $2,500 off and honored the MF was let go last week and they can turn this car around and make more money with less discount and a marked up MF.

We have travel plans for the rest of the week in this car and seems insane what they demand. There is no goodwill from this dealership or trying to make it right. No offer to reimburse for gas (travel with our other car to and from), or just eating the difference.

If we intend to return the car and tell them FU, can we let them know that we’re hundreds of miles away and won’t be able to do so before Monday? This seems awfully unfair to consumers. Can anyone chime in on consumer rights with these “spot delivery” issues? We’re not desperate for this car but were stoked to have gotten a halfway decent deal on the Grand Highlander.

IANAL, I think expressing intent to return the car/make things right will cover you. Depending on when you received notice of the dealerships error they may have a case for damages against you if you use the car excessively after that period or don’t make an attempt to return in a reasonable timeframe.

I’d say they can send someone to a location of your choice to pick up the car and both keys and consider it a wash or have someone come to you with the paperwork. Otherwise pitch the Monday idea and see what they come back with.

2 Likes

Don’t pitch any ideas. If they’re contacting you in the middle of travel plans during a holiday, then it is what it is.

Nothing to say about leasing a 55k vehicle for 33.7k + drive offs? Not to mention 2,500 off MSRP, so really a 52.5k vehicle for 33.7k + drive offs.

3 Likes

Return it and move on. Pretty much the only option that makes sense here. Youre actually lucky you found a way out of it, thats a pretty bad lease.

Either get the mdx or check out a cx90

3 Likes

We didn’t think it was that terrible considering that it has a more spacious third row than an X7 and lots of great options on the platinum trim. Our drive offs were roughly $1,700. We test drove the XC90 recharge with ultimate trim and while it was a smoother ride, the interior felt tiny compared to the Grand Highlander. Not to mention that it’s a lot more DAS and some deals through LH require a $500-700 broker fee. Definitely hearing you though, it’s a terrible lease on its face no matter how you look at it but the best that’s available for the GH/Toyota.

This is a terrible lease. :100:

That’s $65,000+ in monthly payments over two leases (don’t know the DAS) with nothing to show at the end vs owning all the equity after 72m financing on a vehicle that’s basically guaranteed to be a stellar value retainer.

At the same time I have no obligation to comment on every bad quote presented on LH.

1 Like

Return it. You got lucky.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.