Some interesting data on the NJ rebate program

Not to sound like a dick or anything, but all I see are ionics/konas/bolts/i3s being discussed here, when my $37/month leaf deals AFTER the charge-up program expired absolutely destroyed any of the aforementioned cars/deals WITH the charge-up program…

5 Likes

But the Leaf deal comes with an unfortunate burden of having to be seen in a Nissan :slight_smile:

1 Like

If Nissan Leaves are so great, why wasn’t Carl Ghosen smuggled out of Japan in one? :leaves:

3 Likes

The problem I have with the Leaf is the best rate is at the 24mo term and that doesn’t qualify for the NJ rebate. You wind up paying $30/mo more to get to 36mo.

2 Likes

By this statement, “How about incentivize based on the car you are replacing? If I junk an 85 towncar in favor of an ionic I get a free ionic.” smart people will simply buy the 85 towncar used and then “junk” it for the EV, so that too is like a loophole to get free gov’t cash!

Seems like those Costco deals earlier this year where could get $800 off a new Samsung Galaxy S21 phone if you trade in any other Galaxy phone starting from S6 which can be bought used on ebay for 50 bucks and up to the S10+ which went for well over $400-$500+. Would be pretty dumb even if you already owned the S10+ to use for trading in right :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s not accurate. On a 36 month, with the full ev rebate, it’s much cheaper

Obligatory - Tesla - Pretend to Save the Environment While Looking Rich - YouTube

2 Likes

That was the joke. Lookup cash for clunkers brilliance and what that accomplished.

And I’ll be tracking the leaf SV+ (or SL+) deals with the Kona deals right around July 1st!

Hi,

What deal is it, could you link to the calculator or sheet listing it?
I have friends waiting for the rebate, so that they could get the same Bolt Premier deal I got last year, with $2K total cash, post - NJ rebate, MSRP $44K.
My other friend leased two similarly priced Leafs at $265/mo ea, which is 5x more per month.
Thank you.

I’m considering making a deal on an in-stock car and leaving a deposit then taking it once the rebate is active again, but I assume that would be a major no go since dealers want to sell cars as quickly as possible. I’m just growing impatient and slightly impulsive.

When do they estimate the program will be funded again and start accepting rebate applications or allowing the dealers to process at point of sale?

Please buy the car. As soon as you do the program will become active for the rest of us.

It’s supposedly coming soon. July was the time frame that was always targeted.

based on what? haven’t seen anything in the news and my future Leaf isn’t going to buy itself…

They’ve changed the wording to “Summer” but up until recently July was always being used.

1 Like

It’s coming back as a POS rebate, so if your dealership isn’t aware of the program I suspect they being left out. For example, Tesla has been promising that any new orders delivered after 7/1 will get the NJ POS rebate. This has been a major topic of discussion on the Tesla forums.

1 Like

Tesla was ahead on advertising phase 1 IIRC so the messaging may not have trickled down to other traditionally non EV brands and dealers just yet. If the dealer in question is located in NJ I don’t believe that there is anything in particular that would keep them from participating in the program once it officially launches.

I clicked on the “learn more” button on your screen shot.

1 Like

I watched the webinar and dealers are now able to sign up for the POS…gearing up for July launch I suspect.

The terms are still not finalized but there was a proposal to keep the max rebate to $2k for cars $45k-55k and $5k for cars under $45k

Yet to be decided