Sold two cars to Vroom - it didn't go well

So I recently sold a 2016 Maserati Ghibli S with 23k and a 2019 BMW X3 sDrive 30i with 17k to Vroom.

I bought the Maserati 18 months ago with 16k on the clock for $31.5k and enjoyed 16 months and 7,000 very fast miles in it, but the warranty was running out so it was time to let it go. I decided to try Carvana and Vroom for an easy sale and Vroom came back with a high offer of $28,963 so I bit their arm off. The transaction went through perfectly as I expected as the car was mint, virtually like new, and a few days after pick-up a check came through and that was that. At roughly $160 per month in depreciation and zero costs on the car, I was a happy bunny.

Next was the BMW X3 - this was a lease car from BMW and had a shade over $33k left on the payoff, I was just bored of it so wanted out, so again I tried both Carvana and Vroom and Vroom came back with the higher offer of $33,487. Perfect - having had an easy transaction with the Maserati I started the process, they picked up the car, sent me a notification that BMW had been paid in full and I later saw the car on their site for sale for $35,480.

Today I get a notification from BMW that Vroom shorted them by nearly $9.5k on the pay off and I was still liable. Has this happened to anyone else? Vroom are investigating, but still, scary position to be in.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Sold one to VROOM!