Sold one to VROOM!

Cannot answer your question, but here is one thing to double check, perhaps. I also got a quote from VROOM and it turned out to be in line with carvana, algo, rodo, all around the same with 1500 above residual.

VROOM was the only one though who said they will be buying out from dealer, not the financial company (Nissan-Infiniti LT) in that case. that meant I would need to pay doc fees, processing fees and some other crap making the deal useless besides saving 400 on disposition but risking to mess-up the credit if something goes wrong.

I dont know maybe my contact at VROOM wasnt knowledgeable, or they really couldn’t do it.

I double checked with the financial company and they said they wouldn’t turn off third-party offer, and Carvana/Rodo said the same - residual it is an no fees.

anyhow, I think it is worth double checking.

Ok, good to know. I will check. Did seem a little too good to be true. Only one that was close was Algo but I heard once they do a visual it comes in about 1k lower.

Anyone have experience with selling an older car they own? I got a $2900 quote for an 09 camry. Obviously with a lease they are not too concerned about damage but here I’ve got over 10 years of wear and tear. There’s nothing that major except for a bit of rust on the quarter panel. Do I need to be concerned that they will adjust the offer after they receive the vehicle?

I’m working on selling a 2019 clarity to zoom. Lease obviously. Would it be better to pay off myself and they just cut me a check? Their offer is $2700 over payoff amount. $1500 more than any other offer I’ve received from the usual spots.

Prob not bc you pay tax on the buyout and vroom doesn’t

How much was your offer

So I recently sold a 2016 Maserati Ghibli S with 23k and a 2019 BMW X3 sDrive 30i with 17k to Vroom.

I bought the Maserati 18 months ago with 16k on the clock for $31.5k and enjoyed 16 months and 7,000 very fast miles in it, but the warranty was running out so it was time to let it go. I decided to try Carvana and Vroom for an easy sale and Vroom came back with a high offer of $28,963 so I bit their arm off. The transaction went through perfectly as I expected as the car was mint, virtually like new, and a few days after pick-up a check came through and that was that. At roughly $160 per month in depreciation and zero costs on the car, I was a happy bunny.

Next was the BMW X3 - this was a lease car from BMW and had a shade over $33k left on the payoff, I was just bored of it so wanted out, so again I tried both Carvana and Vroom and Vroom came back with the higher offer of $33,487. Perfect - having had an easy transaction with the Maserati I started the process, they picked up the car, sent me a notification that BMW had been paid in full and I later saw the car on their site for sale for $35,480.

Today I get a notification from BMW that Vroom shorted them by nearly $9.5k on the pay off and I was still liable. Has this happened to anyone else? Vroom are investigating, but still, scary position to be in.

2 Likes

I sold a car to vroom and it went smoothly (not leased), I would start with providing them the notification it must be a mistake on their end

Post moved twice…one was removed to clean up. Original post remains above.

This has not happened to me personally but I did see other reviews and threads where Vroom either did not send any money at all or it was short. That’s what made me nervous to use their service even though I may make some money on my buyout through them.

$22,700 via vroom vs $20k at carmax.

Wanted to provide a change in process I noticed recently. I’ve submitted owner verification before on this car just to see what the payoff would be and if i’m positive or negative (Audi Financial won’t provide dealer payoff to the owner; only to the dealer). This time they sent this e-mail with a rough idea of timing. Don’t think i’ve seen it before

I’m in the process of selling them another car and received the same email. It actually took them 5 days and no new info. I called and got the ball rolling again. Just sent them the power of attorney and one key yesterday.

1 Like

I sent my request out Saturday, received fedex envelope yesterday and sent out same afternoon so they should receive it today. First time using them so hopefully this goes smooth. Payment is not due till Nov 23.

You should be good. I have sold 3 cars before to them with no problem. My next payment was the 7th of this month and I won’t send it.

Has anyone ever damaged the car during the selling process?

We just got a new car for my wife and I’m in the middle of selling her “old” car but we just realized there’s a ~4” paint scratch/dent on the bottom of the front passenger door.

I accepted their offer already and mailed everything in, I’m just waiting for them to assign a carrier.

Based on the pictures attached, do you guys think they’ll lower the price after receiving the car? If so by approximately how much and if it’s a large amount, can I undo the sale and fix it myself at a local body shop before trying to resell it?

I called around and no body shop around me has availability within next few days so I can’t fix it before the carrier arrives.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Same thing happened to my friends car. It had a big dent in fender after the process started. He just went along with it and was like they can charge whatever. The driver took pictures at pickup, but Vroom never dinged him for it.

That’s awesome, appreciate the post! I was worrying about this for a couple days but I’m somewhat relieved now.

Hopefully someone else can confirm the same happened with them, then we can get a better idea that it wasn’t just a more laid back employee that handled your friend’s sale haha.

Thanks!

Haha he could have just gotten lucky.

So when it gets picked up, they take like a few pictures. Specially if there is a damage. The driver will then mark it on his side.

When you get the BOL it will have markings of any damage/scratches or if anything is missing.

Once you send the BOL to vroom, they will process the payment.

Yes, to your point. The person that did the payment might have not paid a lot of attention to BOL.

Yeah exactly! I sold to Vroom before but the funny thing is the carriers almost always put random scratch marks on the BOL to protect themselves even if there’s nothing there and it never really bothered me because the sale price wouldn’t change, but this one is somewhat significant.

Did your friend just have a dent that can easily be popped back out or did it scratch through some paint?

Because my thought is that if they have to take it to a body shop for repaint, they’re more likely to deduct the expense. But then again, I’m sure they factor in that every car will need some sort of refurbishing before listing it for resale and they probably have their own repair centers and keep repair costs at a minimum.