Sold one to VROOM!

Thanks a lot for the heads up. Yea. I am currently exploring what’s the best option. I am enquiring about the 10 day rule in CA that allows us to sell the car without paying use tax. I will get clarity on that soon. If that works out, it will be good. But yea, by the time this happens, the market condition may change. So, have to figure out all the backup plans.

Try a quote with Autonation. Their online quote was close to Vroom. But, when I visited in person, they cut 1k off saying tires are worn off. I told I will only sell for what’s quoted earlier. And mentioned about the Vroom quote too… So, finally (you know - going back to manager and saying no - then you walk out- then they call you back)… they agreed. Worth a shot…

Unfortunately no CarMax or Autonation in Detroit area, and Shift not here yet. Give me the Vin was lower as well.

I’ll give Vroom a few days.

Sold one! It wasn’t a lease, but here is a data point on cash offers for those of you considering exiting one early… 2016 BMW 550i w/ 49,000 miles, 1 previous accident, 1 dent on grill ~ $900 repair.

Carvana = $21,544
Vroom = $22,165
KBB initial = $20,582
KBB post appraisal = $23,398

KBB emailed me saying 80% of cars get inspected and appraised higher than baseline offer. I took it in for appraisal and after a very very brief walk around and validation of VIN was offered $23,398! I was in/out in about 20 minutes, couldn’t believe how easy it was. Highly recommended.

1 Like

Sold one to Vroom! My parents’ 2018 Mazda CX5 Touring w/Tech Pkg financed thru Chase Auto/MFS was up for return in a month or so so I convinced them to sell. We got the following quotes:

• ALgo: $22,606
  • Carvana: $22,800
  • Vroom: $23,559

Went with Vroom since they had the highest appraisal. Tried to negotiate for more from ALgo, but when I got someone via SMS, they told me they couldn’t offer more than $20K for the car :thinking: (this was before any kind of virtual tour). Carvana doesn’t seem to have a process for haggling their appraisal, so I didn’t bother.

Buyout was $18,185 (same buyout for customer and third party), but Chase made a big deal about how Vroom HAD to call them for the buyout, wouldn’t let me give them an email or fax number to send the 10 day payoff letter. After calling Vroom several times, they finally got the payoff and the rest of the process was pretty smooth. After DocuSign as well as overnight of a physical document (POA), couple days later they had the car on a truck and few days after that I received my payment of $5,387.

Process overall took about 3ish weeks, but it was well worth it. Never thought we could get this much for the car, it’s more than a third of the total lease cost!! Hope these inflated prices can stick around for a bit longer as my mom wants to get rid of her Odyssey for a new one soon haha.

I submitted for appraisal my recently leased 2021 330xi just for fun. $53K MSRP, ~3.5K miles, only about 6 months into the lease, they only offered $40K flat :joy::joy:. Guess they don’t want bimmers.

3 Likes

So just for kicks I’ve been submitting for buyout quotes on my leases and wanted to share what I got for my MB lease:

This had been in negative equity like most luxury cars since I drove it off the lot, but 2021 is indeed a strange year. Current MBFS payoff is $49.5k and Vroom offered $59.3k. Nearly $10k in equity is insane. No interest in going down to one car and no deals to be had on a new one, so will just keep watching the market. If I have equity when the lease is up in a year, then that’ll be great.

Tried to sell one to Vroom!

2019 Tundra 21k miles
US Bank
My payoff 39600
Vroom offer 46,400
Vroom payoff 51k!!! lol

Since there is so much conflicting info on whether or not US Bank will sell to Carvana, Vroom etc, I just called and asked. The associate stated yes they just have to request a payoff. So I get a hold of Vroom, super nice guy helps me. We get a three way call going and the payoff they give Vroom is 51,452! So much for that.

Reading all the horror stories for Vroom, I went with Shift, so here’s my story!

2018 Honda Accord 1.5T, lease last payment 5/18
Maturity date: 6/18
6/7 - got quotes from Carvana, CarMax, Shift , Vroom
Shift was the highest with Vroom close 2nd
Decided to go with Shift after reading here
6/8 scheduled inspection and possible buyout, but Shift called me last minute and told me they can’t make it since they are severely understaffed, reschedule for 6/9
6/9- Shift guy comes on time (actually a little before) inspects the car, original offer was 20900 but they took $150 off since there was a small chip on front bumper that I didn’t care getting fixed
Shift does offer extra $200 if you decide to sell the car the same day and accept offer right away
So $150 evens out with $200. All the papers and offer details are done on the iPad, the only thing I had to manually sign was POA and look at the breakdown of the deal. My personal payoff was $14400 from Honda and 3rd party payoff was $14800 (they got this figure by contacting Honda)
Signed everything and whole process took an hour. I entered my bank info for profit and they drove off the car! Great experience and would do it again!!!

1 Like

You should start a “Sold one to shift” if it’s not already started. Would give people (who are stuck with Vroom/Carvana) more options if they hear how easy the process is from first have experience.

1 Like

so buy it yourself and sell it.

Good idea actually, didn’t mean to hijack this post

You can buy it and sell it to vroom. Make sure your payoff includes sales tax as well if it’s applicable in your state.

Edit: i sold my jeep to Vroom and it took them 3 weeks to post it for sale on their website. They might be waiting for the title from US bank. Keep in my mind, you need the title as well when selling and it might take some time with DMV backed up in most states.

1 Like

Sold a 2018 velar lease. For $13,000 (profit)

. Makes up for the poor leases these days.

13 Likes

Probably won’t touch another Volvo lease after my recent experience getting rid of a XC90.

Vroom, GMTV, Algo, and Carvana said no. Carmax would’ve left me about $5k underwater. (Buyout was 47,XXX)

Called about a dozen Volvo dealers in the Northeast. Most of them said they can’t buy out leases anymore. Two offered me $40-42k. Finally one said they can do the buyout value, so went with them.

Even tried some local luxury dealers like Lexus and Mercedes. They were around 45k.

Hello Jon!

Volvo payoff letter received, and they paid $2,998 over because GMTV got it at dealer price.

Wanted to update you

Cheers!

1 Like

So I had the same thing happen. Called Ally and I was told that with large checks, the send them back to the issuer and have them reissued to ensure that it is correct and not a mistake. So you’ll see the initial check come in, the ‘reallocation’ reversing the transaction, then you should see a new amount hit once Vroom reissues the check.

1 Like

This is very very helpful! I called vroom for days since they didn’t send out the payment and they never provide me useful information. After I emailed to straightbuydocs I got the tracking number within half an hour!

1 Like

What did you replace it with?

X3 M40i. Much more fun than the 4cl Velar.

Decided to delete my above post until we get paid by Vroom. Then I’ll repost it.