Sold one to CARVANA!

Unfortunately, I see a lot of unfinished sales. I spent 24k to buy a Civic-Si, and if they give me 28k, then how they make money, I still don’t understand. There may be tax breaks, but I am very pleased with the offer I received. Carmax also whispered to me that they said I could no longer make deals. I think you are wrong.

I’m not really sure this thread needs another glowing Carvana review but why not?

Model: 2015 Mazda 3 iTouring (owned outright w/title in hand)
Mileage: ~35,000
MSRP/Purchase Price: $~21k/$18.5k
Carvana Sale Price: $18,077 (!!!)
Condition: Dings and deep scratches on bumpers and passenger side doors but mechanically perfect (the persons first car)

The process was unbelievably easy. I had been getting quotes from all of the major car buyers here and there but Carvana seemed to add money every time I quoted it. When the quotes finally broke $18k I thought it was way too good to be true so I pulled the trigger and scheduled the inspection. They came, did a quick walk around and started the car. Then pulled out the paperwork which took five minutes to complete and initiated an ACH transfer on the spot. The car sat on the street for three days and the money actually arrived before the car was picked up, but I presume that was down to the thanksgiving holiday.

All in all, the process couldn’t have been easier. I’m still astounded the car was driven for six years and 35k miles, and was purchased for $400 less than it was bought for. This market doesn’t make any sense!

Can anyone confirm that they don’t buy Kia leases anymore? Got an offer of $24500 for my 2021 Forte GT. Dealer Payout (I called Kia) is $21k.

Edit: Carvana chat confirms.
Please note, we do not buy out leases through Ford Motor Credit, Ally, GM Financial, US Bank, Honda/Acura, Hyundai/Kia, Nissan/Infiniti, Mercedes-Benz, Lincoln, Tesla, or Volvo, nor those within 30 days of the maturity date.

Sold my 2019 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum with 29k miles for a shy over $49k!

OP Lease post: 2019 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum AWD $462/mo + VA tax 36/15k 6k MSD + 1st mo. DAS

Overall the process took a lot longer than expected. I got an unbelievable offer of $49.2k from Carvana for this car. I immediately paid off the car but Volvo took their sweet time sending the title. DMV was a bit difficult to work with in VA to get the title in my name. They wanted to see I paid the taxes to purchase the car but the letter did not include the tax amount, only my last statement did which they would not accept without Volvo’s signature.

Regardless, the process was about 5 weeks. The price expired once but I called them and they honored the price. The new price generated was 3k lower, but they honored it because we were already in the process of submitting everything.

They were also nice enough to meet me about 25 miles from my house even though the local Carvana is over 150 miles away and was out of their range. The inspector looked over the car, did a test drive in the parking lot, and handed me the check after signing a couple things. About a 25 min process.

2 Likes

What area in VA are you?
You paid cash, I guess?
Very helpful info - same car, same state :slightly_smiling_face:
Would your original lease satisfy DMV re: sales tax? It is clearly there.

SW VA. I sent a Cashier’s check. I had a printed out statement from Volvo with taxes due and showed them where the original taxes were rolled in to the car payment. They were not ready to believe it even with the original lease, but after the supervisor was done with her power trip and spoke to someone in Richmond, they said the Title + letter from Volvo saying account was clear and there wasn’t a lien on it + original lease + buyer’s order from the lease + Volvo statements – they finally agreed to it and got me a new title with just my name.

2 Likes

So there is no outstanding property tax since we already paid it for this year. I’ll be on the hook for the estimated next year. And Volvo’s “estimated” is double or more than the actual.

Nope! On the new title, it said exempt as well.

Because you are exempt, period lol

It’s always the worst experience at VA DMV’s lol. The car was appraising at about 37k pre/early-pandemic with 17k miles on it so this was an absolute win in my book!

2 Likes

Sold a base 2021Chevy Trax front drive 9,000 miles to Carvana for $23,632. Sticker was $22,400.

GM sent the title in 2 weeks then had to fight with VA dmv over sales tax like above.

Very easy and direct deposit hit Monday after selling on Sunday.

Hello Guys,
Just want to share my Chevy Volt Lease buyout timeline. I had 2 Chevy Volts which has the lease expiration on Dec End 2021. Both were leased with one pay. I saw the used car sale prices and decided to buyout the car lease and sell on Carvana/vroom/shift etc.

Chevy Volt 1 - 9500miles (Very low mileage)
09/17/21 - Mailed Payment of $17454
10/19/21 - Original signed dealer Title received by mail
10/20/21 - Registration Done at DMV. Paid tax of $1660
11/4/21 - New Title Received
11/6/21 - Car Sold with Carvana for price of $23572
Profit - $4458.
Plus I received $350 from GM. Not sure about the category, but I guess it is due to the buyout 2 months early.

Chevy Volt - 2 - 15100 miles

10/21/21 - Mailed payment of $16925
11/08/21 - Original signed dealer Title received by mail
11/09/21 - Registration Done at DMV. Paid tax of $1609
11/26/21 - New Title Received
12/01/21 - Car Sold for $26376.
Profit - $7842

I have applied for a tax refund and explained the situation that it is impossible to sell the car within 10 days. I have low hope, but never know.

This is from SF Bay Area, CA

Tips:
In Carvana, if you create a login and then get a quote, the quote is valid for 3 weeks, I think(Definitely not 7 days). When you have all documents ready, get another quote. You will be surprised.

I tried vroom/shift/carvana and Carvana gave the best price.

Update:
I requested for a sales tax refund to cdfta and send supporting documents like the day the title is received/dmv registration date/sold date etc and mentioned that the car was sold in 19 days instead of 10 day window. There is 0 delay from my part and all the delay is caused by covid delays in companies and companies not accepting the titles with the leasing company etc. Today I got the mail that my refund is accepted and get the refund in 14 days. Wooo…hoooo…

Took about 2 months from the time that I mailed.

Update 2: Received sales tax refund for both cars from CDFTA

2 Likes

Another successful sale to Carvana, though it cost me some money for not knowing how the process works. If anyone is interested and doesn’t want to lose the offer and you are approaching the 7 days, just create an account and accept the offer. They give you an additional 30 days from that date to finalize everything. I have also heard you can request an extension from the 30 days if needed.

Vehicle: 2018 Audi A4 Premium Plus w/ 31,250 miles
Profit: $6,568 (roughly 17 payments back of the 36 made over the 3 year lease)

11/11/2021 - Carvana offers $32,854
11/18/2021 - I attempt to speak to Carvana and can’t get a hold of them, offer expires
11/19/2021 - Carvana offers $31,468
11/19/2021 - I buy my lease out at local Audi dealership for $24,900 out the door (I suggest anyone buying their Audi lease to shop around. This dealer was charging me $1500 less in dealer fees)
12/6/2021 - Dealer finalizes electronic title in their system and I request a title be mailed to me
12/13/2021 - I receive the title from the State of Florida and submit missing title information to Carvana
12/14/2021 - Carvana requests updated odometer reading
12/16/2021 - Carvana shows up at 9AM to pick up the car with check in hand

Overall, Carvana customer service has been awful and unresponsive. That being said, while I am bitter that my check could have been for about $1400 more, I am still very happy at how easy the process was when they picked it up. The rep was early and had already inspected the exterior before ringing the doorbell. I signed a few papers and handed over the keys. She handed me a check and parked the car on the street and told me that someone would be there within 24-48 hours to pick it up. She had a newer Rav4 parked on her truck. The car was gone within the hour.

For anyone trying to do this in the State of Florida, dealers will say it can take up to 10 weeks to receive your title. This is entirely on them being lazy. Immediately after paying for the car on 11/19, I could see on the DMV website the paperwork had been processed and the status was “Pending Dealer Transaction”. I called my Audi dealership repeatedly and finally got it from them that the person in charge was out of town the week after Thanksgiving. I called again first week of December and couldn’t get ahold of her, but the gentleman I was speaking with told me it could take up to 10 weeks and it had only been 2. I was clearly concerned with losing my offer and knew i ran that risk with close timing. I asked him to please leave her a note if she could expedite it since I was working against time. The next day the DMV site showed it as processed.

Other offers:
CarMax: $28,800
Vroom: $30,003
KBB Instant Offer: $30,915

If we pay taxes on a lease buyout is there a way to get Sales Tax back in California ? Or it’s all gone?

1 Like

Thank You very much !

I requested for a sales tax refund to cdfta and send supporting documents like the day the title is received/dmv registration date/sold date etc and mentioned that the car was sold in 19 days instead of 10 day window. There is 0 delay from my part and all the delay is caused by covid delays in companies and companies not accepting the titles with the leasing company etc. Today I got the mail that my refund is accepted and get the refund in 14 days. Wooo…hoooo…

4 Likes

Carvana is requesting my lease maturity date from Chrysler capital. It’s not on the lease agreement or statements. Anyone know where to find it?

Is it available when you log into your lease account?

This is from a different lessor, but I can see mine.

Not that I can find anywhere. Everything just shows first payment date and “38 months remaining”. I don’t see why that wouldn’t be enough for them.