Sold one to CARVANA!

Curious, did you have substantial positive equity on the 330i? BMWs typically aren’t good candidates. Would you be willing to share the numbers?

342xx was buyout, they offered 34880. We got a check for 580.

1 Like

Anyone do a Mercedes deal with Carvana - curious of experience with MBFS

There is no disposition fee since it is being bought out.
Pretty much a win however you look at it, any extra is better than paying the captive to take the car back

Wow, equity on a BMW lease.
#COVID

My 2018 Tiguan S and Carvana experiences (long post):

MSRP 25,865
Selling price 20,212 (including any incentives)
MF 0.0071 with MSDs x 7
24 mos / 12,000 miles
Residual @ 24m = 65%
TDAS was pretty much 1st month plus DMV = $640 + 7x MSDs = $1750 = $2390
Base payment 196.50 + tax

Quotes timeline
Leased the car June, 2018
Sept, 2018 - payoff 21000; Vroom offer 19000; did not check others
Feb, 2019 - payoff ???; Carvana offer 17100; did not check others
Apr, 2019 - payoff 19470; forgot to record offers
May, 2019 - payoff 19200; Vroom offer 17500 , Shift 17000
Aug, 2019 - payoff 18550; Vroom offer 17750, Carvana 17430, Shift 18400 *
Nov, 2019 - payoff 17950; Vroom offer 16500, Carvana 15900, Shift 18000
May, 2020 - payoff 16,800; Vroom offer 14000 then 14500, Carvana 14300, Autonation 15000
Early June, 2020 - payoff 16,600; Vroom offer 16390, Carvana 14300, Autonation 15000
Late June, 2020 - payoff 16,600; Shift 15,300, Carvana 17050 , Autonation 15800
Mid-July, 2020 - payoff 16,400**; Carvana offer 18,800 YOWZA!
VW’s payoff quote to Carvana was 17,400, a full $1000 more than if I wanted to buy it.
Nevertheless, cash to me = $1400

(We only put 11,000 miles on the car due to kids in school, then Covid)

*Was unable to get Shift to do the deal because they could not get a payoff quote from
VW- I tried hard, they were not that helpful

** I extended the lease (for a 20% discount from VW), so residual is now less than it was @ lease inception; also paid CA DMV renewal in mid-June

Carvana purchase timeline
July 15- Initial quote with Carvana
July 22- Accepted offer (dragging feet on purpose)
July 26- payoff quote requested; ended up calling Carvana to do 3-way w/ VW; on hold for hours, hung up

July 27- Called Carvana back, “wait time >30 min” BUT they gave me a call-back option this time, and about 90 min later, I received a call. Very professional, they called VW, got the payoff, and we were done.

July 31- got email for additional docs requested (DL, etc); a few hrs later, got email asking for pickup date

Aug 1- scheduled pickup date online for 8-13 (last day, per the online form; dragging feet on purpose)

Aug 11- Called Carvana to change pickup date, “wait time >30 min” again; used call-back option again, and about 2h later, I received a call. Very professional again. They let me change pickup date to 8-15 (still dragging feet on purpose)

Aug 15- Carvana texted me in the AM that pickup appt would be 30-45 min delayed. Agent did arrive at new expected time, wearing a mask and sporting a sanitizer spray bottle. Asked me to start the car, sprayed all 4 door handles, did a walk-around and an in-car inspection. Took photos, handed me several docs to sign, gave me the $1400 check, and put one of the 2 keys in a lock box that he hung from the window. He said someone would be by to pick the car up within an hour. I left for a few hrs and when I got back, it was gone.

Carvana Experience Summary:
5-Stars *****

Notes:

1. I thought the deal in 2018 was great for a 24m/12K lease with essentially 1st month + DMV + MDSs due at signing.

2. Although I paid DMV fees in June, I got 2 more months of use of the car plus I avoided the dispo fee to VW, so that was a little bit of cash to my favor.

3. The agent made no mention of the scratch in the front valence (see my pic upthread). That would likely have been at least a $250 charge by VW at lease return.

4. All that stuff above, plus a check for $1400.

Conservatively, my cost to rent this car for 26 months was $196.50 x 26 = $5109 minus $1400 = $3709 + tax , or $142.65/mo plus tax, or 34c/mile. Not bad for a VW lease

By the way, it was a great SUV. German handling, good looks, nice interior materials, lots of space, plus 3rd row seating. Would lease again.

I am happy I found LH. Reading all the threads here got me 2 great lease deals in 2018/2019, and told me about the nice Carvana experiences that were possible. I also got a friend a nice lease on a Lexus by reading this, and cash back from Carvana on her Toyota just before she was about to return that lease.

4 Likes

MBFS is super slow. For them to generate a payoff letter takes for ever. Other banks are much better here. E.g. Infiniti financials generates automatic payoff letters and you can pull those right from their homepage. I had to call 5 or 6 times until one of the customer care people wrote manually the letter. At that time, I didnt know that it was enough to do a 3 way call. Later on as the payoff period of the letter expired we did a 3 way call and it worked ok. It also takes them for ever to send carvana the title. Carvana is super fast when it comes to send the checks. They sent the check for my car the day after they picked up the car to MBFS. MBFS needs several day just to process the check and after they processed the check, it will take them another 8 business days to send the title to carvana. Carvana picked up my car over 2 weeks ago and MBFS has still not send the title over to them.

Very happy Carvana has to deal with all these and not me. Imagine I would have sold the car to a private party…

Thanks for the info as I may be interested in selling to carvana before my lease is up

Sold my 2018 RAV4 yesterday. Very easy process. Took less than 10 minutes when they showed up. Longest part like everyone else said was trying to get ahold of someone on the phone

They came today to take away our 2018 Jeep GC. $3800 positive equity!

2 Likes

Congrats! Now go find another lease :joy:

1 Like

Already did! Was delivered yesterday! 2020 Jeep GC North edition. Was about $30/month higher than the GC we sold to Carvana, but the positive equity still made us come out ahead

4 Likes

Hey if they’re still paying stupid prices later maybe you can flip it again!

Last week the offer for my BMW 428xi convertible was 18.9. Yesterday, it was 23.5. I’m trying to quickly find a replacement.

I’m still waiting for Carvana to review the payoff letter from MBFS.
-I called MBFS first and told them that I authorized Carvana to obtain the dealer payoff doc.
-Called Carvana and told them to call MBFS. MBFS told Carvana they will fax the doc within 72 hours.
-48 hours later, I texted Carvana asking for status update and they said they have received the payoff doc from MBFS. Carvana team will review the doc for 24-72 hours. They also said they will honor the offer even if it says expired.
-72 hours after Carvana supposedly received the Payoff doc from MBFS, I texted them again for status update.
-No answer

What should I do? Just be patient and wait? Or should I just ask for another 3-way call with MBFS?

Call at opening and you should be able to get someone immediately. When I spoke with someone on the phone they reviewed my docs and approved it during the call.

2 Likes

I figure I would ask the community instead of calling because I know that wait times are atrocious right now. If I were to have $2,000 negative equity when to sell my lease to Carvana, am I able to pay that negative equity with a credit card? I just got a new card with 0%APR (for 6 months) and I would rather pay it in installments.

Vroom made me pay via debit card or cashier’s check. I’m guessing carvana is the same. They want a guarantee that you can make the payment

1 Like

I actually paid Vroom via credit card and went through without issues… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh wow! How was your experience with Vroom?