Sold one to CarMax

Had a friend sell his leased Lexus ES to CT Carmax and was quite happy. Goodluck.

1 Like

Did you get a quote from AutoNation?

Just to provide an update for everyone. Went to Carmax today in CT. Process was smooth and effortless. Gave me exactly what they quoted my car for online. They called and got the payoff from Lexus Financial services which was a little under $25000 and gave me a check for the difference which was $7426 and change. Exciting to make money off a lease!

5 Likes

Glad to hear, enjoy.

Sold my 2019 Jeep Cherokee for $28,500, offer came in higher than last month.
Walked out with a $8600 check! Took about 2 hours.

Other offers ranged from 23k-27k.

Also had no issues extending my lease a month to be outside the 60 days, since it was originally ending mid June.

1 Like

So did you sell the Cherokee to Carmax after the extension with CCAP? Iā€™m assuming the original lease end (June) was within 64 days but after extension to July it was outside the 64 days?

1 Like

Correct - my original lease end is 47 days out. After extension it was 77. No issues with CarMax asking for payoff. Also confirmed with CCAP before I went in.

1 Like

Thanks for the confirmation. Was getting different answers from CCAP a couple of months ago as how they calculate the 64 days from original lease end or extension end.

Anyone know whether Carmax offers are higher if you have the title in hand? Thinking about selling a car to them soon and wondering whether itā€™s worth it to pay it off first.

No, wonā€™t make a difference

Going to dump my 12 month ICE lease tomorrowā€¦as my EV is arriving and Iā€™m going fully EV household. Scary!

What do I do with my accessories (like mats/nets)? Do I bring them in and try to sell/barter, or keep and try and dispose of online/forum marketplace?

Anything I should watch out for?

Thanks.

Will post full details when deal is complete!

1 Like

As long as you know your payoff and the agreed upon selling price is correct, thereā€™s not much to do. Take the car off your insurance policy and do the DMV release of liability.

If you wanna go a step further, check with the bank/captive to make sure the payoff goes through later on.

1 Like

Be sure to do this on a weekday, verbal confirmation could be a requirement. Anything that didnā€™t come with the vehicle take it out / sell. Anything you did to the vehicle that is attached mention it & a see if you can get some extra money for it.

1 Like

Also if you donā€™t have a ride home, I always ask the dealer to Uber me home - never had one turn me down. Saved me a $100 bucks.

3 Likes

CarMax wonā€™t pay for Uber. Their business model is different than a traditional dealership, itā€™s not a manager who appraise your car. They have a buying team assigned for each region so itā€™s not up to the employees at that store and they donā€™t have any margin to offer you incentives

4 Likes

And early enough in the day so that the captive is still open for business. An hour before closing on the West Coast is not gonna cut it

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what every dealer told me, but they ended up paying anyways. It doesnā€™t hurt to ask.

1 Like

Sold couple cars to Carmax, only ā€œfreeā€ ride they offered me was a Lyft to the nearest train station lol

1 Like

Wrongā€¦I sold a car Friday (Burbank), and two different employees offered to call a Lyft for me.

Well, I guess youā€™re rightā€¦it was a Lyft, not an Uber :slight_smile:

As for the appraisal, they inspect the car to compare against the information you put down on line. I watched a guy inspect my car. They said that itā€™s rare for the instore offer to be different than the online offer.

Great transaction, BTW. Everything super smooth and easy. No sales pressure whatsoever, despite store looking like a giant time share salesroom!

1 Like

I work for CarMax thatā€™s why I know it for a fact. Maybe their policies are different for west coast. I have seen customer walks away just because we are not offering them a ride. Sounds stupid from a storeā€™s perspective but thatā€™s what we do.

3 Likes