Sold one to CarMax

Just bring in whatever the highest quote email you have is (hopefully you saved/had the system email you) and as long as it’s not expired they will take the highest one. I helped my in laws sell their Buick to Carmax. On Monday the offer was 24000, Tuesday the online offer was like 22700. They printed out and brought in the 24k offer and got exactly that. It seems the price/appraisal only is firmly locked in if you bring the car in for an in person appraisal.

As long as you go to Carmax during VW credit normal business hours where Carmax can call VW you should be good. I would also recommend calling VW to see if they have any sort of 3rd party authorization form where you can give permission for Carmax to talk to them on your behalf. Lastly- just keep in mind your buyout and Carmax buyout can be significantly different as Audi/VW has different payoffs for person vs dealer.

Heh that’s what I’m kinda inclined to do, but I figured it’s worth the ask. It’s big “keep hitting the slots when you’re up big” energy, which is dangerous!

Great, that’s good to hear. Thanks much!

1 Like

Thanks! I will go to Carmax tomorrow to see if they can do that.
The different price is what I am worried about too. That’s why I want to know the price as early as I can. If the price for dealer is too high, will consider take the risk to buy it, pay tax, and then sell it.

Bad news …

Yep, only was a matter of time, unfortunately. Going to be pretty standard across the board now. They don’t want anyone else to get their equity in their cars.

You can also call VW finance and pretend to be a dealer calling on behalf of a client who wants to trade their car in. All I’ve ever been asked is my name and what dealership I am calling from, if that. Sometimes they just give you the 3rd party buyout.

1 Like

Just sold my Honda to Carmax today

No issues?

None at all. Just deposited my check

Are you in California?

Yup SoCal. Got my offer 6 days ago and sold today

1 Like

Just got word from a Honda Financial Representative saying that they haven’t heard any word from corporate saying that they’re stopping 3rd party dealers from conducting buyouts.

1 Like

Wow, So sounds like givemethevin is playing games?

I would just call your local Carmax to see if they’ve heard anything different. The Honda rep told me that third party buyouts are still possible. Maybe call Honda yourself to get a second opinion.

Will do. Thanks

I’m headed in to Carmax today to sell two leases to them. I’ve gotten online offers on both, but I was a too critical on my assessment of at least one of them, and I’ve seen multiple people say that their in-person offer was higher than the online offer.

I was just curious what process any of you used to accomplish that.

I understand that I could just go in there and act like a noob and have them appraise it to see what they give me, but I’d kinda feel like a twat waiting to see if they give me a lower number and only then showing them my higher online offer. But perhaps that’s just business.

Appreciate any insight you guys might have.

Do the online appraisal first. Make appointment if you like it.

I’ve already done the online appraisals, and I’m happy with the numbers. I just saw people on LH indicating that they got an even higher offer when they went in person after getting online offers, so I was wondering how that happened.