Sold one to CarMax

In the online appraisal, it ask how many body panels needs repairs. You can redo your appraisal with that question answered and see what it reduces the appraisal down to. For me it was $200. Keep in mind that when you bring it in, you tell them the code relevant to the appraisal baseline you want them to use. Also keep in mind that you can rerun your appraisal with different zip codes across the country and bring in the code with the highest appraisal figure. It varied by as much as $600 for me when I did this.
I ended up selling my car to Enterprise Car sales since they gave me $450 more than Carmax and the full process was 30 minutes vs the two hours that multiple friends have spent at Carmax to sell their cars. Enterprise will mail you the check while Carmax will cut you a check right there.

His panels don’t need repairs he said he repainted them so it has already been fixed. If it’s been fixed @orys , then there’s no need to mention it. Like I said before if it’s an accident that was reported to carfax it will automatically come up and already affect your appraisal calculation. If it’s damage that’s small then don’t say anything and if it’s damage that you’ve personally fixed, again don’t say anything. If they find something that they deem to be a negative they will update your appraisal. They’re not going to yell at you lol or keep you from selling the car. If it’s really catastrophic damage then say something (even still there’s no need because they will find it). This is your process when you go to CarMax 1. Find a rep and check-in 2. Turn in your online appraisal (they ask for personal details and that’s it) 3. Wait for physical inspection and results 4. Turn in your car and get your check if you decide to sell

Thank you this is very valuable suggestion

Will try with enterprise also
thanks

Honda is still accepting 3rd buyouts as of just now. Just sold my '19 Civic EX Hatchback with 37k to CarMax. They bought it for only $2k less than the selling price a little over two years ago, which goes to show how crazy the used car market is. Car even had an accident(side swipe), small scratches on the hood and windshield, and some rim scratches. Their offer was $3k higher than Carvana’s and $2k more than Vroom’s. Ended up coming away with a sizable amount of equity in the car. Rushed in their because of the rumors I have heard with Honda and the fact I already have a new car.

2 Likes

I feel like GMTV is making this Honda stuff up or just doesn’t want to deal with them for some reason. I’ve called Honda Financial repeatedly and all the reps have told me that they haven’t heard anything about not being able to sell to third party dealers.

So is honda ALLOWING 3rd party buyouts or not?

Yes, I just sold my Honda to CarMax two hours ago.

Thanks.

I’m trying to deal with honda dealerships and getting a buyout offer on my lease but not liking the numbers to carmax which are offering me $5000 over buyout. So I feel like just trading it in there and getting a check and moving on from there.

I would definitely go that route. It was a very quick process for me.

Try Enterprise Car Sales and see what they would offer. They paid me $450 more than Carmax for my 2018 Honda Accord.

Are they like carmax where you just bring the car to them and walk out with a check?

You run an appraisal online, set up an appointment, they look at your car for 5 minutes and then come back with an offer that for me lined up with the KBB trade in value, excellent condition. You sign paperwork and then they mail you the check within 5-10 business days. The whole process took 30 minutes. So no you don’t leave with a check which you would get a Carmax.

Just used the online appraisal, its not too off from carmax number at around $26,000

However I called them up and the rep didn’t know if they bought leased cars. So…

I would ask for the manager who deals with these purchases. The sales team who I initially called didn’t have much insight into the process.

Just walked out of carmax Ontario CA - reached end of lease with our Kia Sedona SXL with 8700 miles. lease buyout 22.7k carmax paid 33k. Over 10k in equity. I can’t quite believe it but it’s true. Crazy times we live in folks.

8 Likes

Nice congrats!!

1 Like

Does anyone know when I should cancel my plates(registration) and insurance? Sold my leased Honda to Carmax and gave me the plates (normal in MA). Don’t want to end up with a lapse in coverage or problems with Honda before they receive payoff and close my account.

My carmax appraisal came lower than a few days ago. Vroom was higher thou, I will try Enterprise then, no time for the drama with Vroom, even thous my car is not leased.