Sold one to AUTONATION!

I just sold my 4xe yesterday to my local Autonation and it was by far an easy experience. It seems to be a YMMV based on your area but mine had me to go Toyota of Cerritos. I went and got quotes from a bunch of places from Carmax, Bidlane, Carvana, Givemethevin and local dealers. The range went anywhere from 55k-61.5. Even though Autonation did give me the highest, I would still shop around when I sell my next car. I would rate any online place easier and better than your local dealers. Mine were mostly trash in a sense that no one had their shit together, you had to deal with some low level salesperson who then had to go through the red tape to the sales manager who then had to get around to finally giving you a quote. When I were to get a quote from a local dealer, it wasn’t even remotely competitive or they gave me stupid excuses as to why they couldn’t buy it.

After finally shopping around, Autonation gave me the highest price. It took a few minutes then a human gets back to you with a marketing email that gives you an offer on some fake looking check. I was pretty hesitant reading reviews before going in. Autonation requires you to bring the car in physically to verify the condition and this is also a good way for you to make sure their offer is legit. When I did go, the sales manager was very easy to deal with, nice and actually no pressure. They just kinda looked at it, got the VIN and took pictures for reference. I couldn’t sell on that day due to no plates and registration. I ended up following up a week later and they told me the quote was still good.

I ended up going on a Sunday and dealt with the same manager as I did previously. All in all, I was quoted 60-90 minutes but due to how busy they were, it ended up being 120 minutes. Most of the time was spent waiting on them to finish people before me and to get the paperwork verified and processed. I had to sign about 8-9 forms and the offer was $250 less and not a deal breaker at all. Once done, they give you the equity check on the spot and you’re good to go. Autonation was very competitive and gave me the strongest amount that no other place could come close. I would say the second strongest offer was around $2000 less give or take and none of my other choices even wanted to negotiate. They made it a point to tell me multiple times that they were high volume and low markup so that was the reason for the strongest offer. I took it with a grain of salt and was just happy to make a few bucks. A+ experience

2 Likes

What was MSRP, packages on 4xe, and Autonation buy price?

MSRP: 65,000 ish

Exterior Colors: Hydro Blue Pearl-Coat Exterior Paint $245
Grilles: Integrated Off-Road Camera $595
Exterior Design: Body-Color Fender Flares $695
Wheels: 17-Inch x 7.5-Inch Machined / Painted Black Wheels $0
Tires: LT285/70R17C BSW Off-Road Tires $0
Tops: Body-Color 3-Piece Hard Top $2,495
Safety & Security Systems: Remote-Start System $495
Locks & Keys: Remote-Proximity Keyless-Entry $645
Safety Group $995
Advanced Safety Group $795
Cold Weather Group $995
Trailer-Tow and Heavy-Duty Electrical Group $795

Buyprice = 61,250
Payout = 52,800ish

2 Likes

Got a KBB Instant Value quote for $29,500 from an AutoNation dealership for my 2020 Honda Accord Sport. Go into the dealership and they offer $25,500 instead with no new information on my vehicle. Waste of time.

KBB instant value isn’t a real quote though. You should have gone directly to the autonation website and clicked sell my car to get a accurate quote from them.

1 Like

3 years ago I came to this forum for some help on an Audi S4 lease, and I received plenty. Today I sold that lease to AutoNation and I want to give back and share my experience here!

My lease is ending in ~2 weeks and I basically went around and checked every online platform that buys cars. (That’s basically Rodo, Autonation, Algo, Carmax, Carvana, Vroom, Shift, CarbuyerUSA, Driveway, GMTV, Sonic, BidLane, EquityHackr). Some don’t take leases straight up. Vroom has the highest offer, but it doesn’t accept lease transfer. AutoNation came second but it accepts lease transfer. This means I don’t have to pay tax on the residual myself. So I decided to go with AutoNation.

A month ago I first connected with a sales person, then I went on to do something else. They seemed genuinely interested in my car, and they called me back later, told me they may pay more. And indeed they offered $250 more. All in all I’m ~$10k positive equity on the lease end.

I went in the store today, somehow the sales person, even though he made an appointment with me, was not in. Another sales person very kindly helped me and set me up. It took 4 hours from start to end, I was originally quoted 40-80 minutes, but I think the problem is that the local sales person has to email AutoNation headquarters for payoff quotes and procedures. I also had MSD in my lease, which they were not familiar with and didn’t think of at first. I pointed out that it should lower my payoff, and I printed out the AudiFS payoff webpage. They seemed genuinely confused, and went back to chatting with the headquarters person again. Note that they communicate with headquarters through email, so every conversation takes ages.

They finally got confirmation that AudiFS will send me the MSD directly, and it’ll not be included in the payoff. I wasn’t convinced at first and asked them to print out the conversation/confirmation for the record, and they did. Then I signed the lease transfer documents, and left the dealership with a check in hand.

Their final payoff is my residual + $495 disposition fee + $100 some random fee. They told that they are able to get the dealer payoff through another Audi dealer in the AutoNation network. Otherwise Audi doesn’t really sell leases to third party.

At the end it’s a very enjoyable experience. It was longer than I anticipated, but I got extra money so what’s there not to like. It remains to be seen when my AudiFS lease account will actually close (I have only 2 weeks till the turn-in date and I don’t want Audi come asking me where the car is), and when Audi sends me the MSD check.

5 Likes

Sold my 2020 Jeep GC High Altitude to a JLR dealer through Autonation. My payoff was $40,900 and they cut me a check for $7,100. It had 12,500 miles on it with a deep scratch on the hatch/trunk. Aside from that it was immaculate.

Easy process and I’m still in shock as I head home in an Uber. Interested to follow the Jeep along to see how it’s listed.

2 Likes

Does anyone know how long it takes for their payoff to post? My turn-in date is a week away and I’m worried that I might be still on the hook.

My payoff took at least 2 weeks to process after Carbuyer picked up my car. Just to be safe, make that 1 extra payment if you’re not sure if the payoff will be made prior to the next due date. At the worst, you make that extra payment and get that money back back when the bank processes the payoff check. Not really a big deal.

Thanks. I don’t have any payments left, but I need to turn it in in a week, that’s what worries me.

Wow that’s good equity. I have a 2019 JGC High Altitude and payoff is $28k with 18k miles. So far I got a quote from Vroom for $40k. I wonder if I should sell to Autonation…hah

Vroom does not buy leased vehicles anymore. Only reason I sold is because I had a 2022 Defender arrive :slight_smile:

What region or location?

AN experiences seem to be very dependent on which store you’re dealing with.

Dealer is Land Rover in White Plains, NY

1 Like

Interesting. My wife was offered 48k on her 2020 GC Overland. 2500 miles and owes 41k. We want to sell but still looking at a month or two on her Wrangler delivery.

That’s who I sold our Jeep to - the team there is awesome. I was in and out with a check in under an hour.

I initiated a quote through autonation for my wifes 2019 VW Tiguan on Friday. The sales person called me from this same location and told me they were unable to buyout a VW Lease to which I was obviously disappointed. However, I received a voicemail yesterday from them stating that they were able to buy the VW. I am still waiting on another call back. Hopefully they can make this happen so I can avoid having to buy it myself and pay sales tax before selling.

Received one of those “certified offers” from Autonation. Brought it in today and they supposedly certified it and gave me up to 500 miles and 7 days to accept. $54,500 for a $58k wrangler 4xe. Plan on selling it next Monday.

What state? 2021 unit?

Ohio. Yes 2021 with 1500. It’s $1500 higher than Carvana. I hope they don’t pull the offer back before Monday.