SolarHackr for EVs

Thanks everyone for the discussion!

Below are my summary. I’m also posting this to the top so it’s easier to find for everyone. Let me know if there is anything you want to edit.

• Energy Sage is a good source
  • Leasing is expensive and mostly does not make sense
    • Leasee locked into long leasing contract
    • Decreasing property value as next owner might not want to take the contract
    • Leaseing company owns the panel. Leasee does not receive tax benefit
    • (Tesla solar panel subscription seems to be an exception??)
  • Does not make financial sense in short term (<10yrs)
  • Does not make financial sense if your electricity bill is low ($250/month?)

After some research, I’m genuinely interested in the Tesla Solar Subscription since it’s a month-to-month subscription with no termination/removal fee. Makes perfect sense if I do not intend to live in this home for more than 5 years.

I know it sounds too good to be true, especially given Tesla’s track records on their car delivery. But I still want to learn more to see if it will make sense for me. What else?

I’m in the process of purchasing a new home (2800sqft w a gas heated pool). The agent said the monthly electricity bill should be around $250 given the size of the home. Plus, I will be charging my EV (12k miles per year).

What are the risks of going with Tesla solar subscription? I know they said in the contract that they change the price anytime but I can cancel at no cost.

Yeah, your agent is undershooting big time…unless close to coast. The risk is this subscription to become popular and install times to be extended. What ev? Energy consumption wise, Etron = Model3 x2

1 Like

I have a i3 with 12k annual mileage.

The other aspect I’m trying to understand is how much electricity I still have to pay if I switch to solar without a battery, which seems to be quite expensive, since we typically keep the AC running during the night and also need to charge my car after the sun is down.

No one will be able to help you with numbers because you have nothing to go with…no consumption history.
Not sure why you think you need a battery…CA has NEM2 which is a much better option.
The i3 will need about 3500kWh/y

NEM2 can help offset cost but a battery also affords one the ability to power things during a power failure too, doesn’t it?

Yes, that’s pretty much the only reason to get one…but let me give you some cold facts…power outages in CA are fairly rare (even with the media making the most out of the recent fires), a Tesla battery with install will cost you around $7K, a gas generator maybe $1000…that battery may never recover it’s cost under a regular plan. I will say this however, under Edison there is a plan called TOU-D where you have a peak between 4-9pm of 38c and a 13c the rest of the time. If you have a high consumption during that peak then a battery may be a good fit since it would only have to give you about $45/mo in savings to recover its cost (15 year life span).
NEM2 in CA acts like your battery, you give the grid your surplus they give it back when you need it.

1 Like

I thought that you can be in NEM2 but use any rate plan i.e. TOU-A or EV2 to get the lowest rate plan based on your usage pattern. So essentially if your usage fits into TOU-D you can still use that while being under NEM2. Or is it not the correct understanding?

I didn’t see any restriction except for tier rates…you can’t have that and NEM2. They are trying to eliminate them and switch everyone on TOU.

“### Mandatory Time-of-Use (TOU) Rate Requirement for Residential Customers

As a requirement for participation in NEM successor tariff (“NEM 2.0”) programs, residential customers must take service on a TOU rate.* You will be billed on Schedule TOU-D, Option A (TOU-D-A) unless you elect to switch to another TOU rate option for which you are eligible. For those who participate on or after March 1, 2019, you will be on Schedule TOU-D-4-9PM.”

There is no restriction mentioned for the D-Prime on the data sheet so you should be able to combine with NEM2.

I agree that gas is a far better option, but $1k is not even close, unless you want to just power your fridge. I did a great deal of research and trial and error and just recently spent $3750 for the genny, ATS, and ancillaries, and that is without installation nor permits and inspections.

TOU-D seems like a very good plan with 13c lowest rate. Unfortunately PG&G doesn’t offer this and the best rate I can see is EV2-A for new enrollees.

One thing you should keep in mind is enrolling into some CCE program if you have the option. Last month I got $10 solar credit from PG&E while my CCE gave me $14. As CCEs tend to be non-profits, they give way more credits compared to investor owned utility companies.

I’m super ignorant when it comes to generators…i had my power out for max 2 hours about 2 times in the last 15 years so i never did any real research.

1 Like

I started a 4kW solar project with Tesla (Socal), purchased, literally the day before they announced their subscription version. Price wise it was identical in total cost. They offered competitive interest rates but require that you pay off 30% within the first 18mo(?) of financing which is equivalent to the fed rebate.
I would have still gone with purchase over subscription or lease.
Permitting seems to take some time and may be highly dependent on the city… it’s been about 3 months since I’ve signed the contract and I keep having to follow up with Tesla to get updates…
In contrast my buddy signed up the same day and got his installed and online within 3 months. Different city.

I personally think the blame should be placed on the utilities, city permitting is done before the install…final inspection is fairly fast too…and then you wait for 2+ months after all the work is done just for the utility approval. To me it’s clear who is dragging their feet.

Yeah actually my permit is still in review cycle. It was rejected the first time, resubmitted and now review/check.
Seems like install will happen pretty quick thereafter.

1 Like

I got mine (4.095 KW) done through Tesla in Early September. Whole process took 6 weeks and I took half of the time as I reviewed everything in details. I’m in a east bay.

I didn’t give a genny a 2nd thought for years. When Sandy came through and knocked us out for a week, that was an eye opener. Then we had a few days out last winter and I was keeping our fish alive by heating water on the stove every 12 hours. That was the last straw for me.

The value here is, to me, having peace of mind in case of an emergency like a quake. Insurance of sorts. All the lines could be down for a long time and we’d have power. Almost priceless. 7k seems worth it. Plus, we are indeed on TOU-D and run the washer etc and charge cars after hours. And that AC on summer nights would be great if it was free. So there’s that.

Point made…some may find value in it for sure…but let’s not forget, it’s not $7k and done. The warranty is 10 years…do we even know how long after they last? Is that TOU-D or TOU-D Prime that you are on?