SolarHackr for EVs

That is about $10k net if purchased. Based on what he posted his yearly consumption is at around 5500 kWh/y (if this is in CA) so the purchase payout should be just under 10 years (on cheap electricity rates In SoCal).
That lease may be cheaper than others but still expensive in the long run.

I found another article on The Verge where except for Cali, the medium system will rent for $100/mo and the large for $150/mo.

I also found Tesla’s rental / lease contract, this version is for Cali and states they can change rates at any time, and you have 30 days to cancel your subscription if you don’t agree to the increase.

That’s $ here! In my location such system should produce close to 17000 kWh/y. That would be enough to power my house and get 35k of ev miles per year…all for $150/mo! Now I’m curious about their purchase prices…

The Verge article I linked to mentions the systems are $10k, $20k and $30k respectively to purchase direct from Tesla, and that pricing includes installation.

There’s probably not enough time left this year to take advantage of the expiring Fed rebates :roll_eyes:

“though they’ll be charged a $1,500 removal fee”

For sure not enough for the 30% but 26% is still good.
The price for the big one in Ca is almost $200.
“Monthly rates are higher in California; rentals will cost $65, $130, and $195 per month for small, medium, and large systems, respectively. It costs about $10,000, $20,000, and $30,000 “

What I don’t see is if the fed credit is included into the purchase prices…because if it’s not, then these are really good deals.

Edit: found it…of course it is…The cheapest one actually costs $14k which is a bit expensive.

Not sure, but for existing homes in NJ, there’s no state incentives, but in addition to the Federal credit, NJ does allow for SRECs and Net Metering. SREC’s are good for $1200-1400/yr and w/ Net Metering your system could have a net $0 utility bill, or even get wholesale refunds for extra energy produced by your system. Net new House construction will qualify for the NJ Clean Energy New Construction Program.

Re: removal fee - this is on their website and in my contract.

Yes, the article is wrong…here is the detailed agreement:
“7. System Removal. If the system needs to be removed for any reason, such as your cancellation or for roof repairs, you agree to give Tesla reasonable access to your Home to remove the System at Tesla’s convenience and availability. Tesla will remove the system at no cost to you. Tesla, or one of our subcontractors, will patch and seal all roof penetrations associated with removal of the System. Tesla shall have no obligation to repair any ordinary wear and tear on the Home, or to provide any replacement parts. You may not modify or remove the System without written consent from Tesla.”
Solar Subscription & Home Improvement Agreement

@CaptQ, definitely not worth leasing in NJ. Buying is (was?) the way to go. The system in my previous home paid for itself in 7 yrs and now makes money (I still own that house). My current hone has a system twice the size of the previous. My math tells me it will pay for itself in 8 yrs before making money. Between both systems, the SRECs fetch almost $6k/yr on top pf the $5k electricity savings. I paid $81k after rebates.

The removal fee initially was $1500, but Tesla changed it to $0 in September.

2 Likes

+1 for Energysage - the folks who run it are great (worked together in the past) and it’s helped several friends decide to buy.

Re: Tesla Solar I wouldn’t be able to get past

The solar roof tiles (not currently part of the lease deal) is a great idea but the v3 launch is the same as the v1 launch (I guess we all slept through the v2 launch?). Economics aren’t great but there are also plenty of highly reputable installers with a lower roof combustion rate to choose from.

:clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2: Congrats

I visited a friend in Denver last month whose system just got turned up the week before. The install was done in March (nearly 6 months of inspections and tagging issues). They’re very happy, hopefully yours will be online quick.

If you are comparing the commercial to residential you are comparing apples to monkeys. Show me one instance of residential fires.

CA is much faster on this mainly due to political pressure. Under Edison it took under 2 months to get the approval when i did it.

I have looked into to this too but even on NEM1 it’s not worth it for me to sell my surplus to Edison. One year i got paid $120 for ~2500kWh…screw that! I got a second ev and that 2500kWh is good for about 8500 miles => over $1100 value (30 mpg equivalent) on current gas prices.

1 Like

+1 more for energysage . I would NOT recommend SolarMax Technology as an installer though.

1 Like

I don’t know anything about them…but i will say this…cross shop everyone. I heard so many bad things about Sunrun and in the end i ended up with one of their subsidiaries (Horizon). Just like you do when leasing cars, get solar providers to bid against each other.

They’re a large installer based primarily in SoCal, I ultimately went with them as their pricing on TOTL equipment and financing was way better than anyone. The installation process was not handled well and my system is still not fully operational and it’s been many months since I received permission to operate. I’m very sour on the whole thing.

All this year as far as I can tell.

This is a barn behind the house technically

Also

And

:apple: and :monkey:

That isn’t even LN or Westlaw.

1 Like

NJ is totally different. I don’t sell my surplus, per say, my meter simply spins backwards when I’m producing more than I am using, and SRECs are totally separate from actual electricity use and payments.

1 Like

You and your bait clicks…i thought you posted something about Tesla solar…that’s what we were talking about here.

1 Like

It’s a thread about residential solar. I mentioned issues with Tesla solar (which is all Solar City commercial and residential) and you said commercial and residential are apples and monkeys and show you one residential solar fire: I sent four.

You want Solar City ones? Here (there are more)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-29/more-tesla-solar-panel-cases-emerge-in-wake-of-walmart-suit

A month later, a fire broke out on the roof of Ken Tomasello’s home in Waldorf, Maryland, sending a section of the ceiling crashing onto a bed. It ultimately caused so much fire, smoke and water damage that Tomasello and his wife lived in a hotel for more than a year.

The two homes had something in common: SolarCity, now a unit of Elon Musk’s Tesla Inc., had installed their rooftop panels. While these are just a pair of relatively small incidents at a company with some 400,000 solar customers—one of the biggest such portfolios in the U.S.—they add to the growing concern about the safety of Tesla’s solar systems.

Apology accepted / gfy

Click bait provided by 4 local news outlets and Bloomberg.

1 Like

LOL…it was never given…you know well what you are doing.

Obviously their fires aren’t more or less frequent then industry numbers. They found 2 out of 400k…however, looking at that low mounting design got me thinking…it would be easier for the asphalt shingles to catch fire since the panels are much closer and air flow is impeded. My panels sit about x3 higher.