Soft Steering Cars vs. Hard Steering Cars

Hi All,

I’m not much of a car enthusiast/performance seeker, and generally just like luxury features in cars while I deal with my daily South Florida traffic…

My 2018 Altima model got a “stiffening” of the steering, and now I find it super annoying to turn at low speeds (parking lots, traffic, etc.). It just seems to take double the amount of effort to make even the smallest turns, when my other 2015 Altima was effortless to turn. A lesson I learned is always test drive before upgrading to the “same” car, as if I would have know of this change I would have skipped this car all together…

What cars have you noticed to have super soft steering? I know some people also hate this as well…

What cars have you noticed to have super hard/stiff steering? I’ve heard BMWs are known for this…

I know some may say stiffer is better for a more stable mounted feel, but not everyone is seeking that feel.

Side note, does anyone know if the car gets softer over time? I’m at 1,400 miles and still super stiff, was hoping maybe it would “break in” some. Anything else that can be done?

Looking forward to for insights. I’m thinking the Camry would have been a better choice for me, and not really sure why Nissan made this change. I drove a 2017 yesterday (stopped by a rental place for a second) and they let me drive it. It turned/steered just like my old 2015, so it looks like the change was made in 2018.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Is there a sport mode that you have turned on? My Elantra has this but only with sport mode on. It’s annoying, but avoidable.

If it is abnormally stiff, you may want to check that everything is working as intended with your power steering.

Personally I hate soft, floaty steering. BMWs used to be very stiff but got softer for a time (2015ish was my last test drive) where as Porsche will rip your arms off which I love but not for DD.

I don’t believe so, I’d love to have a way to turn off the “sportier” stiffness. I went to dealer, and to be honest the knowledge of the cars/individual cars is pretty baffling. I had a tech drive it with me, and he said it’s normal. It just seems like such a significant difference than my 2015 (same model), but he said they made it a bit stiffer now. In my opinion it was the for worse.

They checked power steering, etc. and everything was normal there. I wish there was a CPU type of change that could be made, would be pretty nice to adjust based on driver preference. I actual prefer the turn with a finger type of steering, especially when you’re mainly driving in city. On the highway it’s not too bad or noticeable, mainly just slow speeds.

New BMWs have super light steering. I can steer with my pinky on my left hand (I never do of course :wink: )

I can definitely see the benefits, and the preference for this type of steering. When driving in traffic and around the city alot, in and out of parking spaces, it just seems to be a bit excessive at least compared to my previous car (same model/same gen), but looks like they made this change specifically in 2018.

That’s exactly what I want. To be honest I never even really thought about it before, because every car I’ve had basically felt that way…

Almost every new car is that way. My dad has a 2006 Audi A3 which has a nice heavy feel to it

You are stuck, changing tires and alignment help a little

Or go to the gym :see_no_evil:

The profile pic is perfect for the complaint. Just saying. I’d totally expect Jared to complain about something like this. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I swear that is exactly how I’d describe it now, having been a bimmer driver since 2002.

Believe it or not, I’m actually pretty muscular and put up some serious weight…obsessed w/ nutrition too. It’s not really about it being too strenuous, more just the fact that it’s annoying in constant traffic/parking lot maneuvering. I’d rather use my time for other things, than turning out of a spot lol

Haha, me too! I always wondered if you guys knew Jared from Silicon Valley, or everyone just thought I put an awkward nerdy pictures of myself ha! I love Jared, he’s awesome.

E46, E9x and E60 had great steering feel…best in class IMO

1 Like

TBH a lot of techs and advisors are just conditioned to call everything “within normal specs”…did you independently verify that Nissan did indeed make this change for MY18?

You can also try to find a different dealer…someone with more of a rep for going to bat for customers.

I plan to test drive another 18’ Altima during my first service…I was hoping someone else on here had one as well. The tightening was just mentioned due to reading 18’ specific reviews from C&D, Edmunds, etc.

C&D noted:

The Altima’s most recent styling refresh also came with some updates to the car’s performance characteristics. Specifically, the steering effort was made heavier to appeal to drivers who prefer a sportier feel. We noted the effects of that change during this drive, as the Altima’s helm does indeed feel more substantial, but it still can’t match the Honda Accord or the Mazda 6 for sharpness or accuracy.

1 Like

41ubmoYjFsL

4 Likes

Gosh I wish I read that earlier. I love the car with the awesome tech package, but this “improved” steering is not to my liking.

To compound the issue a bit more they made the steering wheel thicker and the leather is slippery.

Maybe I can shed some light. I just came out of 2 altimas (2013-15 and then 2015-18) and got a Jeep Grand Cherokee a few weeks ago. One of the first things I noticed was how soft and smooth the steering was. You can even adjust it to make it even softer or slightly tighter.

I’d definitely say to test drive one. I’m super happy with it.