Slowest EVs on the Market

I know you are a Volvo dealer but doesn’t the XC40 have 400hps? That’ almost double the others.

1 Like

The rwd long rang EV9 has only 201hp and 0-60 of 8.8sec.

Polestar 2 fwd is around 7s and I think the bmw i3 did something near that as well.

Agreed the xc40 is quite fast. 4 sec to 60.

The Solterra on the other hand… not so fast comparatively

I think around town you feel 0-30 more than you feel 0-60. That’s why I didn’t take a killer deal on an e-Golf back in the day; it was way slower from a stoplight than the C-Max PHEV I had at the time. Really strange that some manufacturers need their EVs like that.

Anyone own or drive the RWD model Y yet?

Wow I drive a XC40 recharge every day and find it a bit porky. I cant imagine how slow the others are

All EVs Car & Driver has tested between 2012 and 2021 vs all the gas cars tested over the same period. Skews slow because of the age of the dataset (lots of Nisan Leafs and E-Golfs in there). On average these EVs were nearly half a second slower 0-60, but the same cars were a second faster 30-50. In other words real world at legal US speeds EVs perform significantly better than their 0-60 times suggest. Doubly so at altitude.

Which does not of course mean some aren’t slow. Leaf S 7.4 to 60, though the RWD EV9 mentioned above likely takes the cake.

Time to get a Hummer EV and use the LAUNCH button.
0-60 Samples:

• XC40 4.7
  • Hummer 3.0
  • Tesla Plaid 2.0
  • VW ID4 7.7

Too bad they don’t have a 2023, I wanna see where the EV6-GT is, or the Genesis GV60

In the last couple years there have been many times when I’ve wondered whether C/D or OEM 0-60 times mean anything in real life. Is anyone actually replicating these with a car in their name, ie not with a press car?

For example I’ve been a passenger in a RS3 at WOT and it didn’t feel like as quick as a Perf3 (on paper they are supposedly the same).

I saw an E92 335iS get spanked by a YLR and a W212 E550 couldn’t get away from one and I’m not saying that to denigrate them, I actually like both platforms

3SR+ easily beats all the supposedly mid to high 5 second German 2.0t cars like the 330, Q5, C300, etc etc even though on paper they should be equal.

You really need to just stop. Your lack of knowledge on this subject seemingly never ends.

1 Like

I had a Smart ForTwo EV. So my bar is set real low here.

6 Likes

Rock solid though in that pass.

1 Like

freeway driving in a very short wheelbase car is always a white knuckle experience.

Driving The Muppets GIF

2 Likes

For sure!

1 Like

Slowest EV on the market is whatever EV I’m driving :grinning:

2 Likes

Depends on the car. Most Porsche drivers will hit the manufacturer’s quoted 60 time, which is conservative. Most owners probably won’t hit the C&D results, which virtually never come on the first run because the tires aren’t warm- back to back runs are necessary even with good launch control in a quicker car. In a car that takes skill to launch, ie a RWD manual BMW, Viper, etc, a casual owner likely won’t come close to an editor’s best run (of ten or more) unless they practice or visit a prepped surface.

I’ve certainly launched everything I’ve owned multiple times. But I only find 0-60 useful for impressing my three year old or pro-solo events, and I suspect most don’t have use for them beyond top trumps. Of course top trumps is important enough to ruin a generation of M cars apparently (4wd BMWs less engaging than their predecessors), so clearly people care even if they’re never going to use it. But 0-60 is in my mind a stat for people that don’t actually push their cars. I push my cars at least occasionally- every car I’ve owned has been to the autocross at least once, and frankly I could care less about 0-60 times largely because they are so divorced from any real world driving experience.

3 Likes

I agree with most of what you’ve said. Most people have no idea how to put down a decent run, let alone how easy it is. Blanket statements from the uninformed about how most people can’t meet or do better than a published test number or manufacturer’s number are just nonsensical.

If you don’t know enough to have your tires warm or semi -warm and can’t use launch control (since a manual is almost never available at this point) to hit or better a manufacturer’s or tested review 0-60 time then you probably shouldn’t have the car in the first place.

I have raced at several drag strips on the West Coast with many of the cars I’ve owned and laying down a good time and one that can even beat what is published is not difficult depending on the car and conditions. Unlike at the strip, for Mexico testing don’t forget about the 1 foot rollout that is used in most testing now as well. That will make a huge difference for any car and certainly for a rear wheel drive car.

1 Like

Got eqb350, I’m used to tesla Y, sure tesla acceleration can throw you back but I prefer driving n sitting on eqb anyday. Tesla suspension sucks n riding it in the back is so bad. Eqb is not a good ev but trim interior n suspension makes up the downside.

1 Like

I had one of the first ones. Was fast to me, but did not like ride or the harsh regen.

Why is this discussion not in the EV thread? :slight_smile: