Six speed sedans/hatches such as Elantra N, Civic Si, GTI, etc

Since there are no great lease deals on sport compacts I am considering a Veloster N, how dumb am I?

It all depends on what you are paying vs what you’d pay otherwise in my opinion. So more details needed

Any reason you are looking at that car? Why used, btw?

Payment will be between 450-500, only thing cheaper would be a WRX which I honestly am not excited about.

I am only looking at 6 speed sedans/hatchbacks preferred $30k or less
-Elantra N
-WRX
-Civic Si
-GTI
-Veloster N (out of production)

In case you didn’t know, buying used changes the PT warranty to 5/60

And don’t forget the Stinger GT if it is in the price range.

Thanks for the heads up, definitely do not want a hyundai/kia out of warranty

Just buy it new - easy enough to pick up at MSRP or slightly below if you hunt, plus the added benefit of all the warranty stuff.

Bought an Elantra N new - paying more monthly than some of my $50-$60k lease hacks and never been happier with a daily driver.

3 Likes

Can you tell me more about the Elantra N? Interested in what someone that lives with it everyday thinks of it

We just had another thread about this, but in short.

The Good:

• Well balanced
  • Good engine
  • Phenomenal DCT transmission (best I’ve experienced IMO)
  • Highly adjustable across throttle response, exhaust noise, stability control, suspension stiffness etc. I like that I can pivot it from aggressive driving to eco mode with one button and everything quiets down.
  • Option to make it crack and pop a lot with the adjustable exhaust (I have never done that - I keep it at most in the mid level exhaust because it is plenty loud.
  • Pretty cool looking, IMO, inside and out - the sport bucket seats are a nice touch and the gauge cluster/infotainment is really pretty good.
  • Great warranty, not that that is an issue for most of us here.

The Bad:

• It’s still an elantra. Hard scratchy plastic everywhere.
  • If you’re doing lots of long distance driving, depending on how you feel in the seats, it could be uncomfortable.
  • At highway speeds it can be noisy - again, it’s an Elantra and has about what you’d expect for sound deadening.

Others probably have thoughts, too, but I love it.

2 Likes

Thanks! Hopefully I can test drive this and a civic si, I know the Elantra is way faster

Another huge deal breaker (depending on where you live) for me in crossing them off my list was their cost cutting of engine immobilizers, leading them to be targets of theft.

The list doesn’t affect the Elantra N or the Veloster N, but the fact that the base model Elantras and Velosters themselves are targets for thieves makes it a nonstarter for me.

Everyone posts, deal breaker this, or deal breaker that. Honestly Nothing is a deal breaker. If the Deal is good, people will flock to it.

Look at Nissan, 2 yrs ago no one would lease one, now it’s the hottest thing since Tesla due to their low 18m leases.

Now I wouldn’t buy a Kia 2021 or before as the Kia boys will break into it. Also just saw a video where someone was using a remote unlock kit to break into a Kia SUV, that would stop me from leasing one if it’s that easy to unlock.

It was a deal breaker for me, but sure, I agree completely that money talks.

I ended up buying a Nissan Leaf, no deal breakers for me on that one. I can point at the number of issues the car has too (limited range, crappy battery technology, low to the ground, etc.) but none of them were enough to turn me away from the the car.

I was in the market for an Elantra N but that killed the car for me, that was my (huge) deal breaker and I said as much in my post.

Your deal breaker was purely principle? You said it yourself that the model you were interested in was unaffected by the theft issue, yet it broke the deal for you so you went with a Nissan Leaf?

1 Like

Well, some clarification is needed I suppose. In a previous life i was a DC2/EG Honda guy and discovering your car missing is not something I would want anyone to experience, hence my thoughts towards the Elantra N.

The Nissan Leaf was for something else entirely, not related to the Elantra, I see that I worded it poorly, my mistake.

no Civic Si love? Come on I know you’re still a Honda guy

If they kept that K20 from the base Civic Hatch and made a performance variant, sure, I absolutely would. Purely principle!

1 Like