Signing Alfa Stelvio Quad

That is BRILLIANT. I’d love hear more about how you went about looking up the law and figuring this out. I bet their internet marketing person is looking for a new job sadly.

5 Likes

Kinda lame actually. I guess you win. Way to stick it to the Man

Exactly the kind of person I try to avoid in life

2 Likes

Really? So dealers should be just able to have false advertising that say whatever they want without consequence?

12 Likes

Its about time people start calling out dealers on their BS marketing. My new favorite: advertising the car price minus delivery. WTF is that? If I roll to the factory can I get that delivery fee waved? (yes yes European delivery and pickup I get that) Whats next? “Oh you wanted tires with your new car? that’s an extra $400 not included in the advertised price.”

4 Likes

“caveat emptor”

I’m not defending the dealer because I have no idea what happened. Maybe the high school kid who inputs deals on their website made a mistake. Maybe not? I know sending demand letters when you called and they said it was a mistake makes somebody the kind of person I try to avoid.

I also try to avoid car dealers that make mistakes on their online ads.

I think that goes out the window when after being informed of their mistake, they continued to advertise their bait and switch for a long period of time.

9 Likes

Not sure what your problem is. OP legally hacked a deal using tools available to everyone. Highly doubt this was a mistake made by a “highschool kid”. Most likely it’s the internet manager, who gets paid the big bucks.

5 Likes

Not defending the dealer and don’t know what exactly transpired there, but my understanding is that dealerships put their ads up monthly with their marketing partner. They can’t just go to the website and change it immediately, it takes time for their partners to do it.

38%?!!?!? WTF! That is horrible!

Most states have some type of consumer sales practices act. Find the act to start. Most states also have some type of consumer protection division. They often have additional resources and information that you can use. Most everything you need can be obtained with enough time on Google. If you have a friend with some legal training, it also helps.

They can’t update their own website? Or posted ads on external websites?

I can understand the latter. The former? I’ve seen an awful lot of dealers that have somehow managed to find a way to remove cars the next day after their sold, update pricing on a regular basis, etc.

4 Likes

Oh stop, it’s false advertising plain and simple. These people run a business and are responsible for the offers and ads they create. If the dealership leader in charge of this is not screening what goes up on the site and they have no capability to take an ad down within a a reasonable timeframe then that’s on them. The FTC fines dealers for this and they aren’t interested in excuses.

6 Likes

On their own site. I’m talking about canned “specials”, like this:

1 Like

Of course it’s on them, no one’s arguing about it.

They made a mistake and it took them “a week or so” to fix the ad. As somebody mentioned, dealers aren’t updating the promos on their site every day.

Forcing somebody to enter into a financial transaction they don’t want to enter is bs. I get there are laws to protect consumers but when you start sending demand letters because you want it but the dealer doesn’t want to do it, that makes you entitled.

“Best deal in the country!”
“Perfect condition!”
“You won’t find a better deal!”
“We’ll beat ANY price!”
“Nicest car in the world!”

Do you demand they fulfill these claims? There are plenty of moves in life that are perfectly legal, but still make you an a hole

Where was the damage? It’s not like he called, they confirmed, he flew halfway across the country, and then after trying to sign the deal they pulled the bait and switch. No, they told him right up front, it’s a mistake. Then they fixed it within a week.

2 Likes

this goes against the narrative that it’s the dealers who are the “enemy,” and should push out losers to every leasehackr.

You’re not their lawyer. Evidently he felt it was in their best interest to honor the false price. The dealer was free to call the consumer’s bluff and could have told them to pound sand. There’s probably a good reason they didn’t.

Or this whole thing is made up, who knows.

OP - lease contract please!

2 Likes

@surfer. The level of ethics you are describing a is foreign language to a lot of people in this day and age. You are someone I definitely want to do business with.

I posted the details in the event it was useful – and because, as I understand it, that is the point of the forum.

If you think the transaction makes me “an a hole,” cool. If you think it makes me “Brilliant,” thanks. If you think the whole thing “is made up,” that’s fine too. It’s all words on a screen. Hopefully the chain is useful to you – for one reason or another.

9 Likes

It sounds like a car for a 12-year-old boy.

3 Likes