Signed! Mazda CX-30 Premium: $317/month + tax, $900 drive-off

Thought I’d share my experience trying to hack a deal in today’s market, vehicle shortage and all. I helped a friend find and negotiate a CX-30, and this is what we were able to get:

2021 Mazda CX-30 Premium FWD
MSRP: $30,125
Selling Price: $29,825
Monthly Payment: $348 including 9.5% tax
Drive-Off Amount: $900
Months: 36
Annual Mileage: 10,000
MF: .00001
Residual: 61%
Incentives: $750 Mazda Loyalty
Region: Southern California
Leasehackr Calculator Link: CALCULATOR | LEASEHACKR

I first used the LH calculator to create a target deal based on this month’s programs and incentives. My initial target was $800 off MSRP, which is right around invoice and something I’ve seen from data points a few months ago.

I used Autotrader to identify inventory, as well as dealer websites to confirm. Each dealer had at most one or two CX-30 Premiums in stock; few had the color we wanted. Then I called and/or emailed various dealers for quotes and provided my counteroffer. I soon realized that my goal was MSRP and buy rate, and it wasn’t easy finding that.

One dealer advertised $800 off MSRP but had a $2,000 alarm on the car and wouldn’t give a final price without going in person. A few were quite candid and said the best they could do, without markups, was $1,000 over MSRP. I got the impression that most dealers believe they could sell to someone else for more and weren’t too hungry.

The selling dealer, for whatever reason, was a little more eager. Maybe they had a quiet day; who knows. They initially offered a slim discount ($300 off) but required $1,400 in prepaid maintenance and excess wear/tear. I told them we’d take delivery immediately if the F&I products were waived, and the dealer obliged. We made an appointment for the following day, first thing in the morning.

The dealer was 60+ miles away, but we were out in less than an hour. The contract was printed in advance and we signed with just the salesperson, no F&I manager present.

The car itself is nice. Not the highest LH score, but it’ll give an X2 or GLA a run for its money. The Premium trim has a heads-up display, power tailgate, memory seats, real leather, Bose audio, and other niceties. Hope this is a useful datapoint for those in the market right now!

25 Likes

Congrats on the new lease. I have been thinking about getting a CX-30 for wife. But, not in a hurry. I can wait for few months. I was anyway curious about the current market situation in SoCal. So, your experience gives me good reason to wait. I am no way in a hurry/need to get it at or near MSRP.
CX-30 is a very nice car. I strongly believe it will hold up its value quite well.

Great work. I’m surprised Mazda is supporting such a low MF in this market.

Is this considered a good deal for a Mazda? I am not familiar with Mazda leases so I’m genuinely curious.

It’s the best I was able to find at the time. Inventories are tight; these cars are sold the moment they hit lots. The local dealers have more Miatas than they have CX-30s:

Back in March, this CX-30 would have been $30/month cheaper.

1 Like

Yeah, the programs are surprisingly strong, so it’s an OK deal even with minimal discount. The CX-30 Preferred is best: same residual (61% for 36/10K), .00001 MF with two MSD, plus $360 in lease cash.

there is another guy here who signed same vehicle for less than 270/mo in cali

the dealership should have given Michael a much better deal because he is cofounder of LH:)

Is it okay to ask which dealership offered you that price? Thanks

Useless to ask about a deal from a year ago.