Signed lease for Volvo XC60 - Feedback on how did I do?

A lesson here is that many people think MSDs don’t matter in situations where “the MF is still good without any MSDs”. MSD’s make sense in all situations where the post-MSD MF is above zero (unless the MSD program itself is crappy with a low payoff per SD).

3 Likes

I think that is only on the Momentum model.

If you look at the calculator, this is a $64,755 XC60.

You did pretty well, and honestly all that matters is that you love the car, and I’m assuming your monthly payment worked within your budget. Sure, I got the MSDs low but I probably could’ve gotten the sales price lower if I wasn’t so hungry for that specific car… As you said, hindsight is 20/20. There’s always a million more things you could’ve done according to this forum. You’ve done better than many other XC60 leasers; this model just doesn’t lease well like the S90 or XC90.

You got the car you wanted, it’s fully loaded, and the driving experience is just so incredible. Try not to beat yourself up about it too much and enjoy having the best SUV on the road! :slight_smile:

It is simply not true to say that “MSD’s make sense in all situations where the post-MSD MF is above zero” . For example, let’s say the MF is already very low, and you are allowed to put down $2k to end up saving $50 overall. Well… that $2k would be much better invested elsewhere. You just have to calculate the ROI.

Uh - that is why I gave the caveat that you have to look at the MSD program - I said “unless the MSD program itself is crappy with a low payoff per SD”. There aren’t many MSD programs that only yield 2.5% as in your example - that would qualify as “crappy”.

1 Like

Multiply $50 each month of lease. Show us where you can make $50/mo on $2000.
Well, maybe loaning it to the guy who needs $400 for his lease payment in 3 days. Lol

1 Like

Ha - for sure. I assumed the $50 was an annual savings in his “example”. Hopefully even the above poster would see the merits of a 30% after-tax return if it were $50 per month for $2000 in MSDs.

Fantastic car. Absolutely terrible deal. But at least you have a fantastic car. Enjoy it.

1 Like

Yeah I meant over the total course of the lease, i.e., 3 years, which is why I said total. I gave an extreme example to show a clear case when the MF is nonzero and when it isn’t worthwhile to do so.

Your additional caveat is bizarre, essentially saying it is always worth it unless it isn’t. I was providing more context as to how to determine if it’s worth it.

You made up a case that doesn’t exist.

4 Likes

Sorry, my initial post wasn’t very clearly written. What I was trying to say is that if a MF starts VERY low, such as .00001 from Toyota, then it doesn’t matter if the MSD can bring it down by 100x because the real value is so low to begin with. So it’s not that the reduction is crappy, it’s that there wasn’t much to reduce in the first place.

Didn’t mean to call anyone out, sorry if it seemed that way.

That’s what @kevinmr meant by above zero MF. When the MF is .00001, you cannot apply MSDs.

1 Like

Edited not to pile on. Apology good.

So, just for my own edification. What details of the lease did I not do a good enough job negotiating?

The basics of the S90 deal, even with substantially less cash on the XC60 seem consistent across Volvos

1. Sweet spot on residual of 24 months, not 36
  2. MF reduction with MSDs
  3. Discount goal of at least 10% (there is $1k in cash, check the build tool on Volvo’s webpage for their lease estimator which will tell you any national rebates)
  4. A plan would have scored you an additional $750 off* if either you qualified or were willing to sign up for Costco and wait a month

All of these factors are up to your preferences but they could have potentially improved your deal and as others have said, you got the car you wanted, fully loaded so it sounds like walking away was not going to be an option so just enjoy it. Next time post up your quotes and use the community to help you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not sure what the discounting on the XC60’s are but honestly i think you did ok sans the MSD items and the A Plan cash. The XC60 just doesn’t lease well at all especially an absolutely loaded Inscription. I had to add nearly every single option to get to that MSRP. The car has over $15,000 in options which is nearly Porsche option territory.

Most folks here would probably lease a different vehicle that has a better lease program is the biggest reason I would guess this deal looks bad since their is no lease support what so ever (I’m not finding the $1000 lease/finance cash, at least in CO)

Best XC60 incentives are in NER. There is 1k and if you lease/own XC60, there is an extra 3k.

That’s only true with the huge discounts and incentives. I’m pretty sure the 24-month term wouldn’t be cheaper in this case.

1 Like

Ahhh, you’re in Colorado. My brother-in-law owns his own dealer/broker in Castle Rock.
I called him near end of April shopping S90. Told him I was looking for S90 T6 Momentum msrp $60K for 24/10 at around $300ish. He has a guy working for him that was former GM at local Volvo dealer. He said that deal was absolutely impossible. In fact, he said if I found a dealer to go for it, he wanted one too.
I’m near Minneapolis. I picked up my new S90 4/28 for exactly what I was proposing. My deal was done by @Benedetto. Class act. Best $450 I’ve ever spent.
Colorado dealers are sitting on a ton of '18 S90’s right now. The deals will be back when the '19’s show up within 90 days.