SIGNED! ID.4 thoughts on the deal?

Personally, I’d have to save a small fortune to persuade me to take a chance on a VW EV’s resale.

3 Likes

I think the ID4 is attractive and people really seem to like it. One VW lemon buyback was enough for my lifetime.

3 Likes

So on the sticker it says “Base MSRP: $45,730”, below that “Destination charge $1,295” and below that “Total MSRP: $47,025”

Ok, sounds fine then

2 Likes

The MF is almost double compared to last year when i got my FE.

1 Like

Yeah :frowning: I called several other dealerships and they all told me the same MF. I was just reading earlier this year people were getting 0.00143. If only the car came a couple months earlier before the interest rate hike…

Which means that you’re paying way too much interest. Had you financed it with a low interest rate from some CU your 3 year TCO based on 52% RV was going to be roughly 12K + 4K tax + 4K interest = 20K. And note if you want to buy your lease at the end you may still have to pay tax (although in CA you may be ok if you sell within x days)

2 Likes

I just checked Edmunds and it looks like you have the correct MF.

2 Likes

Interest Rate = MF x 2400 = 6.024% APR

Yes, it is very high (compared to financing it). You could probably do close to half of that from a CU.

But you did get the best rate (Tier 1) for this period from VW.

3 Likes

251 looks like base MF from Edmunds forum.

2 Likes

Financing for 6 years would have been the same payment and after 3 years you would owe $21,700, versus $24,400 residual so that’s about $75/mo insurance against residual value dropping and the luxury of a lease. I also consider the possibility that at some point in that 3 years somebody smashes into you and after a 20k repair you don’t want to buy the car out. The lease protects you from the diminished value which you have to eat when you own it.

Not a whole lot of ways to save on an ID.4 right now. I’ve yet to hear from anybody who dislikes theirs… enjoy.

5 Likes

I will finance it at current market, but your lease term is not that bad, enjoy the car!

1 Like

Thank you for putting some concrete numbers to it, this makes a lot of sense. That amount of “insurance” seems like a lot to pay, but there’s definitely something to be said for all the benefits you mention. I think it’s not so cut-and-dry that it was a mistake to lease rather than finance. I suppose I’ll know in 3 years and see if the gamble paid off and the RV is lower like I feared!

This is my first time leasing a vehicle. My thinking going in was that a lease would inherently be more expensive than financing but based on the reaction here is seems like the difference in my lease vs. financing is very large relative to historic differences between the two options. Hence the sentiment that despite this likely being the best lease I could get it’s still not a great deal. And like @ggpaue7716 said it is due to more of the state of the current market rather than my particular lease.

Thank you everyone for your responses I learned a lot here. Time to enjoy the car!

1 Like

Yeah there is no such thing as a good deal on an ID.4 in this market but you didn’t exactly get raked over the coals.

If the car is worth 30k in 3 years you’ll still be able to buy it and have positive equity.

1 Like

Better than my deal :sob:

2 Likes

It’s best to finance VW products since that allows you to capture any equity more effectively. Leases cannot be resold to third parties.

2 Likes

If MMR is 55k, this is a no brainer flip. Buy for 48k, flip for 50k and claim 7.5k federal.

Interesting but I don’t understand. You think I’d be able to flip the car for $50k? Like, on craigslist or take it to a dealer? Why would someone buy it for more than I paid, especially when they don’t even get the federal tax credit?

people are stupid and are willing to pay crazy money to get a vehicle “now”. Don’t list it on Craigslist, check with some brokers on here like Clutch and LC as well as try the usual online shops like Carvana

MMR 55k means this car is selling at Auction for 55k