Signed: 2020 Ford Explorer ST $60,335 $636/month 36/12k NJ

, ,

My mom’s looking at the same car. $60k msrp offered at $52k OTD because of Rona. Debating whether she needs needs an ST and not just a limited, which can be had like 7k cheaper. Nice suv though regardless.

That OTD should be obtainable without COVID crisis… the explorer is absolutely tanking and was a botched launch for ford. If anything, the selling price could be better without COVID. It’s possible dealers are giving out less discount.

Definitely look up it’s depreciation before purchasing it. Might not be pretty

What would you shoot for?

There will be no long term depreciation data for it since it’s a brand new for 2020 vehicle. Like I said, she doesn’t really need the st, so a limited is probably more than adequate. She kept her last brand new car 13 years so depreciation won’t matter much. My only concern is how much shit could go wrong after warranty is up with all the new gagdets Ford has started throwing on, and their warranty is pretty basic.

Is a third row an absolute necessity?

For that price, I’d go XC60 T6, X3 M40i, SQ5, RX350 F Sport.

1 Like

Yep third row is a must, and all those listed are much smaller. They’re all nicer cars too… she’d have to step up quite a bit in price to get the room she wants. It’s her grand kid hauler. Imo the ST would be a lot of car for 50k. But obviously the interior won’t be as nice as something German.

XC90 if she’s hauling around a small child. Explorer is a massive car that takes “budget cut” to a whole new level. It honestly makes me puke to think ford thinks it’s worth 60k.

Maybe an Atlas SE? Honda Pilot? Acura MDX can be had at steep discounts and a much better deal. A Spec is pretty sweet.

Who needs a hotrod (by SUV standards) ST for grand kid hauling?

BTW, the Explorer has arguably the worst third row and second row in the class. Ford absolutely sucks at packaging.

1 Like

Yup. The double allure of these inflated, imaginary MSRPs.

People think the product is worth more, and are doubly happy to get these big “discounts”

Here’s the litmus test @Baseballpler : if the made-up MSRP was $40k, would you still think you’re getting a lot of car for $50k?

Absolutely nobody needs the ST, it’s a want. The ST does not lease nearly as well, but pay to play.

As a twice former Ford lessor, one of many reasons you should lease a Ford. As long as she drives 15k a year or less.

Well there is that.

LOTS of threads on cars with third row, suggest driving those first.