Signed - 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD in Seattle

Signed a lease in the Seattle area on May 31st! I know, I know, how boring, it’s not BMW X7 for $499/month, what can I say. A Honda may not lease well but there are specific reasons why I signed this. Read on…

Attached is the lease calc sheet. Here are the details:

2019 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD
36/12k
MSRP $32,195
Sell Price $28,900
Total Cap Cost $29,994 (includes $595 acquisition fee, $499 “value added theft protection package”)
Adjusted “Net” Cap Cost $29803.87 (after $190.13 cap cost reduction payment at drive off)

MF is 0.0014
61% residual = $19,638.95

Total lease payments $12,656.88

Base Monthly payment $351.58
Monthly Sales Tax $36.21 (tax rate 10.3%)
Total Monthly payment $388

Total Drive Off at signing =$1,200 (Cap reduction $190+ $20 tax, Doc Fee $150, First Payment $388, WA state license fees $452)

A few comments about this deal. First, I certainly don’t think this is a world-class deal. I had to work hard to get it to this, but I still think I should have fought a little more to get that $499 theft protection package off. I had to reject their offer multiple times as they kept trying to convince me to pay something, anything, for their special package of nitrogen tires, oil changes, etc.! I could have walked, but did have a few vested interests in getting the deal done. My wife and I moved from FL and were approaching the 30 day window of residency here, so FL state was going to make my current vehicle registration invalid (since I had changed over my auto insurance to WA state). I certainly was not going to spend $350 to register that car here only to trade it soon and pay again to register a new car.

The current car was my wife’s 2016 Honda CR-V SE lease. It was ending in July and she had just last week hit a pillar in a tight parking lot and caused quite a fair bit of damage along multiple body panels and a wheel. Rather than just pay insurance deductible and risk the likely rate increase, I had the car inspected by Honda’s 3rd party SGS for lease-end appraisal. To my surprise, the total damage came in at a very reasonable number. This meant if I re-signed a Honda, I could use the $1,000 damage waiver to wipe out most of it and only write Honda Financial a check for a couple hundred.

All that being said, I got this Honda dealer to make the last payment on that damaged lease vehicle and turn it in early for me in order to make this new deal. My goal going into negotiation was $380 a month with minimal drive off, which would have been everything listed above minus that Cap Cost Reduction fee.

I did compromise a little but got pretty close and the benefits of getting that other car off my plate was well worth it. So overall, success!

Even better, when I called Honda Financial to talk over a few things, they waived the remaining damage amount as a courtesy! No money out of pocket for a pretty nasty amount of body damage!

Feel free to message me with any Qs on the process I went through, etc.
Thanks to the forum for always providing valuable info!

LH score was a measly 7.4

This is a hard car to get a deal on but we’ll played on the car damage.

1 Like

What is an impressive score for a CR-V in Seattle?

Doesn’t matter what the score is. Some cars lease better then others. There is a reason you don’t see CR-V threads on here. Congrats on the new car and enjoy!

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this. I’m looking to make a lease on this exact configuration in the Seattle area in the next few days. They are quoting me a cap cost of $30,200. With zero due for $327.75/mo + tax. This is only an initial quote but they say it includes Fees/title/docs/License.

I’m new to leasing. I’ve asked them to provide the money factor. Would someone mind commenting on what else I should ask for? Is it reasonable to get this Agreement Sheet before they run credit check and over email?

Thanks for your help and thank you mfizzy for posting.

No dealer should be running a credit check until you have a deal sheet in hand and approve of the numbers. Who’s running the deal you or the dealer?

2 Likes

Get them to send you the lease sheet via email. It will show money factor, incentives, etc.

Unless I am missing something here, my cap cost (shown in original post above) was just under $30k. My monthly payment is $388 and it was NOT zero DAS.

I would love to understand how they can quote a cap cost of 30.2k and zero due for $327/mo plus tax, which will be about 10.3% here in Seattle area. That means total monthly is ~$360/month? I wish I had that deal!

1 Like

Turns out the deal had some mis-communication where I thought I was getting the car zero due at signing, however they thought I was going to get simply zero cap cost reduction. Kudos to the dealer, when I said this wasn’t the deal I thought I was getting they came back to me and said they would eat the due at signing costs of 862.

Gross Cap cost was 30,199, residual was 19,638, money factor 0.00069.

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear you had a good experience at this dealer, seems like they wanted to earn your business. Did you sign?!

This is why getting the deal sheet is so important. Essentially eliminates any surprises.

1 Like

Agreed, I did ask them for it and they didn’t provide it, saying they couldn’t until the purchase was finalized. The rep may have been confused as to what I wanted to see though. At any rate, I went in anyway just to see and it ended up in my favor this time. Next time I’ll be more careful. Thanks for your help!

@Mfizzy - yes I did sign. My wife is happy :slight_smile:

Congrats! That is what is most important. Enjoy the car!

Enjoy the car!
I do not like leasing Honda’s they are for sure for me better to purchase. I recently sold a 2017 CRV EX-L to 24K, after two years of driving and having about 28K miles on it. Price paid was 28K + tax, for about 29.7K. Mainly it cost me $250/month to drive to car including the loan interest. A lease would have been close to $340-350.

1 Like