Should you shop for a $1000+ car payment right now?

To each their own, were on the verge of a depression. I’m holding on to my cash :moneybag::crown:

3 Likes

I think that there are some chasing the nonexistent COVID fire sale and some that have nothing better to do than pick up a new toy.

Transportation is transportation I guess, if you need it, and it fits in their budget, then why not?

Wealthy and financially savvy people don’t think like that. They think of yields, IRRs, etc and taxes. If they know how MSDs work: They know a non-taxable 10-18% annual return (depending on whether it’s BMW, MB, Lexus, etc) with the safety of an A2-rated bond is untouchable

Your second point was already refuted. If the person can’t park a few thousand dollars into what is basically the best CD in history without putting a dent into the cash they can deploy in stocks and RE, then they are not actually wealthy.

10 Likes

You are only truly wealthy if you can live on passive income alone. If you make a lot and spend a lotl, you’re also living paycheck to paycheck.

3 Likes

Absolutely this.

I’m about to start my first job after getting my bachelors this June, and am about to sign a lease that’s around $1300/mo. My starting salary will be just a tad under $200,000 and I’m getting a great deal. For me this is the ideal time to buy.

1 Like

I would seriously reconsider that decision

11 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong - are you signing the least before actually starting the job?
Btw, for educational purposes what’s the job that pay 200k right out of college with bachelors?
Just wonder for my kids future education😄

10 Likes

Rhymes with “Mug Mealer” :grin:

10 Likes

In the late 80’s when we graduated from college, my friend signed a contract to take delivery of a VW scirocco before graduation. The insurance company quoted him $4500/year (that was in Canada), at least the dealer let him out of his contract and he switched to a GTI which was actually a very nice ride.

Haha I own my own small business and have some other investments that pay dividends. I am getting my degree in mechanical engineering, but I’m at the very top of my class and my small business ownership puts me a level above my peers. I’m also fluent in English and mandarin, this makes me very lucky to have scored a top 0.1% job. If you want an easy peasey $200k within 1-2 years of graduation, have them major in computer since, like my brother did.

I can imagine a repo man could really clean up right now…

2 Likes

I would love to hear about this me job paying $200k for an undergrad college hire

7 Likes

Economically, we are in un-charted territory, some companies might rescind offers…

1 Like

Many, including some of the more lucrative engineering positions in the aerospace industry, already are

3 Likes

Hey that stimulus check’s gotta go somewhere. Free government wing wangs!

3 Likes

So, I just signed something a little under $900/month inc tax, and we were ok with going over $1k in certain situations, and this hasn’t really changed that. We certainly aren’t wealthy, but we do have quite a bit of room in our budget (and more soon, since we’re going from 3 to 2 cars and cutting out a bunch of our mortgage expense with a refi), have no debt other than mortgage and leases, and a substantial cash emergency fund.

This is definitely a once-in-a-lifetime thing, and it certainly could cause me to lose my job and make it so I can’t find another one for a year or longer. If we get to the point where stocks are worthless and there aren’t jobs for software developers for years, though, spending an extra $600/month or so on a car payment will be a minor footnote in the story of my financial ruin.

1 Like

CCP money is running out, good luck.

This is one of the situations where this forum is extremely disconnected from the actual world. In BMW and Audi world (I assume Porsche and Mercedes too but I have not sold those brands), I see leases all the time for $1k+ (X5s, X7s, M550s, 750s, etc) even $2k plus for M5s, RS 7s, M760s. And these are not people stretching to afford them. Most are making $350k+ and it is not unusual to see someone making 7 figures when you get over $100k MSRP. Your typical client in this price segment and income bracket is not fighting over the last penny and they typically want what I call the “feel good” discount, where they save some and the dealer makes some. Also the one thing no one can get back is time, so a lot of wealthy and high income clients won’t negotiate hard since saving $30/mo is not a worthwhile time investment for them. Now there are always exceptions to the rule, but this is the situation 80% of the time.

14 Likes