Should there be a law against ADM?

Rather than a law “against” certain things, i think laws (or maybe more guidelines?) for more transparency or more consistency in terms of “formatting” would make sense. Maybe something like jargon stating that the lease deal is largely governed by RV (based on MSRP) and MF and that MF has a certain base rate but that the dealer is allowed to mark it up to a certain max amount. Maybe even something that says that add-ons are just that… optional. And that dealerships operate independent from the manufacturer and thus one dealerships may offer very diff prices for the same basic car.

Then at least consumers know that there is stuff to learn about, regarding the deal; it’s up to them, beyond that, to do their own research.

Just a brief off topic: as someone who is physician, I would say that doctors themselves/ourselves did more to f*ck that up in this country than did private industry or the government… I know nothing about the other industries and cannot comment on gov’t involvement in those.

1 Like

Basic operating costs for dealership allowance, and clawing back MACO and Training Fee.

I don’t want to get completely off topic and I’m sure you know more since that’s your field. But I’m specifically referring to the collusion and the jumping back and forth from private to public sector that’s been going on forever in the pharma/ insurance industry. Big pharma/ insurance companies and the govt shouldn’t be dictating care, that’s the physicians job. The docs I know complain about pushing papers half the day, dealing with so much regulation that they can’t provide efficient care, and their time is wasted.

I don’t personally even have insurance except for catastrophic events. I pay out of pocket as all the physicians I prefer don’t even want to deal with insurance companies anymore. And my care is fantastic this way and costs less then $500/mo. My son is covered by the state for the maximum fee which is around $250/mo. Luckily my wife is very healthy and can pay out of pocket as well for the doctors if her choosing. For a decent healthcare plan for my family of 3 I would be looking at about $30k a year. Absurd

How do you think doctors themselves caused the issues? I’d blame medical schooling before the docs for most of their shortcomings. After all what do you have a half a semester of nutrition classes?

3 Likes

Dealerships aren’t losing money selling cars at MSRP - maybe they’re losing money from a “front end gross” perspective because of imaginary packs, but a dealership as a whole isn’t losing money.

Only argument you could make here is that there are not enough cars to sell to make enough profit to surpass overhead, etc. For the majority of dealerships they’re having record years, even ones that aren’t selling over MSRP. Don’t cry poverty.

That being said, dealers should be allowed to charge whatever they choose. It’s a free market and a new car is not a necessity.

4 Likes

I’ve said this before, my main dealer is def doing well. But they prefer volume over the bs going on now. It seems the dealers that sold at the highest discounts before now need to markup to make the same margins.

The dealers that always did around msrp, it’s business as usual. The only thing the volume dealers have going now, is more allocation. So that’s def helping them get back to where they need to be profit wise.

1 Like

Yeah they can charge whatever- blow up the reputation of the manufacturer and send Tesla stock soaring

Rivian hiked their prices across the board by $10k and the model 3 has gone up a similar percentage over the past 24 months. Tesla/Rivian may not have ADMs, but the price a customer pays has certainly gone up.

3 Likes

Not to mention Tesla doesn’t have a tax credit anymore so they will have even more competition from other companies.

2 Likes

I have a coworker that was looking at a Model X, I think they raised the msrp by 14k. Starts at 114k before options. Just get a plaid at that point.

Absolutely not. ADM is avoidable if you can control your emotions.

You can argue that saying there needs to be a cap is equally the same as saying there needs to be a floor.

Let the free market work.

3 Likes

Yeah but you see the trouble Ford is having

Subaru chiding it’s dealers

Consumers prefer DTC model - the messed up situation is why there are brokers lol

Where are the Tesla or Rivian brokers??

2 Likes

There were a couple articles I read over the last few months that chart out (broadly) how the healthcare system became such a mess. I will either post here or perhaps send them to you through DM (since that would be pretty off topic).

Suffice it to say that organized medicine shot itself in the foot on at least one occasion, if not more than that.

There is also a saying that doctors generally stink at managing $. I would say most doctors (across multiple practice settings) outsource the billing, not just b/c it’s a huge hassle, b/c they wouldn’t even know how to do it.

Yeah, having to deal w/ numbers means you might have to “dirty” yourself b/c you can’t just focus solely on clinical care. But just like one can’t good lease (yay! on topic!) if they don’t know the inputs, one can’t expect physicians to create or advocate for a cost-effective-yet-clinically-appropriate system when they don’t quite understand the numbers. The numbers and cashflow in one field of medicine (or one practice setting) may have very little resemblance to another field or practice setting. And what works for an individual practice or group doesn’t always translate very well to population-based stuff.

2 Likes

100 Percent. Unfortunately dealer franchise laws exist. Time will tell if OEMs will find workarounds and loopholes.

1 Like

As usual, slippery slope. If they can control the price of new cars, what else can they control the price of?

The used car market deems some used cars are worth as much as new MSRP, should that be illegal? I could go on forever with examples. This is how markets work and it you will never make a case that a specific new car is a necessity. If you can’t afford the market value of one vehicle, you can get one that you can afford.

I understand it upsets you, but government is almost never the solution.

3 Likes

Yeah and before anyone else starts touting jettisoning dealers, remember Tesla’s method before COVID - no negotiations, MSRP take it or leave it.

Now they’ve really ramped up their prices, and just like gas prices, I would be very surprised if they lowered their prices once their costs and supply chain issues are resolved down the line.

Should just be better public education about it.

Like gas prices… no way should it be $7/gallon, guess who is making that profit (not Putin)?

With the inter webs there’s no excuse not to educate yourself about the second largest purchase of your lifetime, that you’ll likely make 5-15 times throughout.

It’s pure laziness and stupidity. But yes “the system” should teach personal finance to young adults. Sadly I think there’s a borderline conspiracy to keep the consumer uninformed to appease corporations.

7 Likes

I think this is probably the time to say stay on topic but I’m not even sure what the topic is. Title indicates it is about ADM but OPs post then focuses on dealer add ons so :person_shrugging:.

Yes, I’d also like a 300 dollar 3 series lease. Unfortunately 2019 isn’t walking through the door anytime soon.

Edit: general comment. Not directed at @Jrouleau426. I just replied to last post. Your post is on topic.

1 Like

More laws are not going to change anything here. That’s just pure fantasy.

What’s necessary is better enforcement of existing laws, especially regarding:

1. Disclosure: any doc fee, ADM, add-ons, etc. need to be clearly stated in every listing.

2. Bait and switch: self explanatory.

3. A lessee’s contractual right to purchase their leased vehicle at RV.

6 Likes

Bait and switch can’t be regulated lol - too many factors -

Finance is based on bait and switch - that’s just getting caught with you draws on the floor