Should I wait to lease an Golf alltrack

With golf Alltrack becoming discontinued, if I were to wait until December to sign a lease on one… Could I expect better offers?

Who knows what inventory will be available in 2 months.

Do you want AN alltrack or do you want a specific color combo with options?

Have you already checked Edmunds to see if the residual/MF/incentives are any good this month or not?

You are not necessarily getting the best deal in December.

I am looking for an Alltrack too. Not having much love from the dealers I’ve emailed.

I have not looked to see what the residual/MF/incentives are this month, but that tells you about how low you can go. Once you have that, you can always tell a dealer (who doesn’t appear to want to play): “On this car I’m willing to pay $XXX/mo for XX months/YY miles/$ZZ due at signing (hopefully $0). I understand if you don’t feel you can make this deal now, but if something changes feel free to reach out while I look at leasing something else.”

VW’s sales have been good this year, but never know when it gets close to the end of the month and a dealer needs to move a unit, especially if it frees up an allocation for something they actually do want to sell.

You’ll obviously have a little better luck at your volume dealers who are sitting on some aging inventory. Check CarGurus or one of the other sites that shows both what they have and how close to a birthday it is.

1 Like

They have never leased well, and being discontinued won’t help

2 Likes

VW is weird…the only cars I’ve ever wanted to lease from them lease terribly! GTI, that wagon with the diesel engine, alltrack.

1 Like

Depends on how desperate they are to move inventory. Last year in December, there were very few regular Sportwagens but a decent number a few Alltracks (at least in SoCal). Many of those, however, were SELs (which have a base price of $35k).

Most VWs don’t lease well. It might be a good idea to consider buying, esp since this is the last yr the long warranty will be offered. Dealers last year were offering $5-6K off w/o you even having to ask (again, at least on a regular Sportwagen), if you were paying cash.

2 Likes

Not completely true. Golfs, Jettas, Passats, Tiguans generally lease pretty well.

VW has no need to subvent (buy down MF or buy up residual) on models that sell just fine: GTI, Golf R, and yes the All Track.

Just like you could side-by-side a V60 and XC60 with similar MSRP and payment on suv is 150+ less than SUV, you could probably lay a Tiguan lease side by side an All Track and the SUV would be cheaper. Probably.

Yes, Jettas and Tiguans def lease well (haven’t really looked at any Passat leases myself, but I wouldn’t be surprised if those leased well, too).

Do regular (non E- or performance) Golfs lease well?

And do the Alltracks sell fine? I assume there’s a reason why VW isn’t bringing a next-gen Sportwagen or Alltrack to the states…

MSRP on an SE Automatic (leather sunroof carplay/android auto) is 26,140$, invoice is probably ~25,500. No incentives to speak of ($500 mil/first responder) but the residual was in the low 50s and MF was like .00032 last time anyone asked on Edmunds, in May. Not a hack but ~300-350/mo on a sign and drive?

I suspect (just a guess) VW dealers think the All Tracks with some equipment should be in the 400s. The Sportwagen (with no lift) are probably a little cheaper.

If there are any 2019 Outbacks left that is probably the wagon deal to beat still.

Don’t ever buy a VW. POS that die a hundred miles after the warranty.

I just assume when people ask they don’t want to be talked out of their choice. I’ve met plenty of VW fanatics: my GTI was bought back within less than a year, and will probably be my last VW product.

If you like the car, you’re leasing, and it’s under warranty the entire term, worst case is a lot of visits to service before it goes home to the mothership (maybe a :lemon: lawyer :man_shrugging:t2:).

Just for a laugh, I wanted to share my 36/10 numbers from 2 different dealers:

1. steeply discounted Golf Alltrack S $518/mo
  2. discounted Golf Alltrack SE $497/mo

Decisions, decisions!

1 Like

SURVEY SAYS

Which is why I plan to sell several mos b/f the warranty expires. I drive a little less than 10K per yr, so that should be around 5.5 yrs after purchase.

Of course, the other issue is whether VW will consider something to be under the warranty or not…

I suppose that’s not too bad. If only Americans liked small, upscale hatchbacks…

I’m eurotrash so I love them. But I’d get another Mazda3 5dr before I got another VW hatchback.

1 Like

The blind spot from the huge pillars on the current 3 are a total deal breaker for me. Otherwise, I’d consider one.

I’m actually looking forward to the next gen Audi A3 (which will hopefully include a hatch for the US) b/c I’m really impressed by the MQB platform and assume that Audi’s version might be more reliable (although my car has been fine so far… Knock on wood). And while the amount of power in my wagon is totally adequate, I wouldn’t mind another 20-30 HP…

Back to the topic… to the OP, it might be a good idea to check inventory and see what kind of deals you can get now. If it’s a price you like, might as well just get one now.

1 Like