Should I take my leased X3M40xi's $10k over buyout to finance a 2019 Golf R?

45k is the 2022 msrp, iirc 2019 msrp was more like 40k.

Like the others have stated, this seems unwise. A used Golf R for 45k sounds insane to me compared to alternative options that require a bit of patience.

Respectfully, you might as well try to win an auction on carsandbids.com on something more exciting like a used M-series BMW if you’re willing to overpay - OR try to get on a waitlist for the 2023 Golf R (which will be the 20th anniversary edition) and hang on to the X3 for now.

1 Like

2021 BMW m340 and 2019 Golf GTI owner here. The GTI is way more fun to drive but 50k!!! Get out of dodge.

2 Likes

A Golf R is way rarer than an X3 40i and a nicely bought R will hold value better than peak bubble BMW valuations.

That being said I’m sure you can find a better deal on the R?

2 Likes

What is the current buyout on the x3?

I’m curious how it compares to the Golf at the moment. My uneducated guess is that it is pretty close, and I have to wonder why the hell anyone would look at a ‘21 x340 and a ‘19 Golf at the same price with similar miles and say “oh yeah, Golf for me!”

2 Likes

It’s around $39k, $29k residual.

So you have a choice of a '21 X340m for $39k or a '19 Golf for $45k and you want the Golf? Am I reading this right?

6 Likes

Maybe bias but I’d take an X3 M40i every day ending in Y.

2 Likes

I don’t even understand how someone arrives at this choice

4 Likes

Golf R is cool, but an optioned brand new GTI makes more sense financially.

1 Like

Add my vote to the “don’t ever do this” category.
This sounds insane to me on every level except getting equity out of your lease.
Even though it has ~3 years (guess, could be less) of warranty left that golf R will be expensive to keep up out of warranty most likely and you will still have 3+ years left on the loan.
The market is not going towards small cars long term in terms of resale value (golf R might do ok…) and an out of warranty VW is kinda rough IMO.

2 Likes

Kudos. :clap: That’s the best way to compare those choices

3 Likes

Some people here talking about an x3 m40 like it’s a boat. Ya the golf is a little slimmer and more nimble but the x3 is pretty sporty for a little suv.

2 Likes

I can definitely attest to the X3 M40i being quite nimble and responsive in the twisties.

3 Likes

No, he has the option to monetize a leased X3 for +$10K equity, which I think is a no-brainer.

The best new car to finance using all or some of that equity becomes a wholly separate question.

The OP’s binary framing against an overpriced 2019 R makes no sense.

3 Likes

Well, yes. But I was just framing based on the presented options.

And, I guess, technically, we could say it is an x3m40 for $39k vs a 2-yr-older Golf for $35k (since we get the $10k equity). Still no contest, IMHO.

And, really, vs any other option, a $39k purchase of a '21 x3m40 with 15k miles seems a helluva good buy.

2 Likes

Are you in SoCal and would you consider a new design WRX?

1 Like

Is the golf r one of those exclusive colors? Why is it priced that high? Your better off getting s3 for the same money, essentially identical car.

1 Like

I think you mean S3, not RS3.

1 Like

The m40 is so much fun to drive, better than Macan S imho, I would pick it over the VW on any day of the week but these are completely different cars. I would still take the 10K equity like tomorrow

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.