Should I replace 07 Infiniti G35 with 2019 or newer Rav 4?

Hi, I am looking to see if it is cost efficient to replace my ‘07 Infiniti G35 with a Rav 4 that is 2019 or newer. I am looking to upgrade to an SUV with great mileage and really found the Rav4 is my best bet. Looked at Grand Cherokees and LOVE them, but have heard terrible ownership reviews with maintenance etc.

only looking to purchase, no lease

I am graduating college soon and need something to last me for a long time. Current G35 has 140k miles and is getting 11.5 MPG - all city driving, not much highway.

Can someone help me figure out what I could upgrade to that would be the most cost efficient??
-Rav 4: gas/hybrid/prime?
-Rav 4: 2019 or newer, XLE premium or higher trim. Really just need leather, heated seats, and the upgraded infotainment screen. Don’t care ab many of the other extras.
-Looks liked used Ravs are going for almost MSRP on a new 2022 one - which would include 2 years of free maintenance.

Here’s a google sheet of my cost comparison. Feel free to make comments if you find flaws. I just want to get this over with WHILE knowing I have a good deal going for me. Thanks so much.

Currently in TX but would register the car in Oklahoma

A couple of things that I noticed immediately…

-how are you figuring that the rav4 is going to get over double the gas mileage in the city?

-if you would be making the minimum payment on a 72 month loan, then you can’t afford the vehicle imo. You shouldn’t finance used vehicle for that length of time.

One thing I’d understand is that buying late model used is not a good value right now; you’re better off buying new if you have to buy right now. There are some good new car deals on the market at the moment (see Wrangler 4xE) but Ravs aren’t on that list.

Also, I see you’re talking about putting 4k down on the Rav4 - did you factor that into your TCO calculation? I don’t see it - I just see the monthly payment.

How are you planning to dispose of the G35? Looks like you owe about $5700 - are you going to sell it privately? If you trade it, you’re likely going to roll negative equity into the RAV, which you don’t have accounted for here.

To put this into context, there are folks (like myself) who have picked up cars like the G35 to hold them over until the market stabilizes.

if SUV is not a requirement and you have access to a level 2 charger, I’d recommend a 2018 or 2019 Honda Clarity plug-in hybrid. leased a 2018 and I could easily get 45-50 mile in EV mode then ave. 40-42 mpg after the battery is drained. Interior is roomy and comfortable, decent size trunk but definitely can’t compare to the RAV4. It fit my needs perfectly since the electric driving range covers most of my daily commute and I probably only had to fuel up once or twice a month. The fuel tank is small though (7 gallon) so maximum range is only 300ish mile, you will have take that into consideration depending on how you drive.

Wow from a G35 to a Rav 4…you are REALLY going to hate the way the Rav drives over your G35.

2 Likes

I think to me the only play that makes sense here is if (and this is a BIG if) you could find a Rav 4 Prime at MSRP and have enough tax liability to take advantage of the $7500 federal tax credit on it.

1 Like

I went from a G to a Wrangler 4XE lease — made the most sense since this lease is probably going to cost negative money out of pocket + no more gas bill.

I really honestly don’t think it would be worth spending out the a$$ to get a new car with prices at all-time highs and inventories at all time lows.

If I didn’t have the Wrangler to jump into, I would have just stuck with the Infiniti and dumped money into fixing it up. Even with the horrendous MPG, you’ll still be saving over a new car payment.

Really consider the fact that they just don’t make cars like the G anymore. The industry has all moved to electric steering and turbo 4 engines. You are not going to be able to replace the feeling and excitement of that car, unfortunately.

My best buddy owned the same model year and spec G with me. He always regretted selling that car for a new Mazda 3. Told me to never let go. I just did the same thing, and to be honest, he was completely right.

I was getting my wife’s highlander serviced the other day, they had a 2018 RAV4 SE on the showroom for 35k. I’m pretty sure that’s over MSRP when it was new.

I know, I know, not the same market, but that’s insane.

The free maintenance just covers regular oil changes.

How did you come to that conclusion? What other compact SUVs did you look at?

Huh? Really?

Time capsule on a last gen RAV interesting

I was confused why it was on the showroom floor. I didn’t really think much of it, but in hindsight I should have checked the mileage. It might have been obscenely low.

Your best bet is a brand new RAV4 hybrid, Corolla hybrid or Prius.