Should I pay my monthly lease payment with a rewards-back credit card?

I am about to lease a new Porsche Macan and was wanting to pay my DAS and MPs with my Amazon Visa CC for the Rewards Program. Do any of you do this? Pros & Cons? In northern California.

1 Like

Amazon won’t give you x5 points on car purchase. Don’t you have some other rewards card?

1 Like

for GM I use my GM card, for BMW I use my BMW card. Use what will make the most sense for you.

1 Like

Good point. Thx. Looks like they give 1% rewards for stuff like this. So, I am wondering what Rewards CC would be best choice.

Sign up for a new card with a big sign up bonus and hopefully your dealer is willing to take a credit card for the DAS. Not all do.

2 Likes

From my past experience dealers usually have a maximum limit they charge to the credit card, which can sometimes be negotiated, but I’ve seen it usually be 5k, which during normal times covered MSD and DAS. I know someone that was able to negotiate the full purchase of a WRX with an Amex Platinum but I know it took a lot of work for him to find a dealer that would do it.

Regarding the monthly payments, I am unsure if banks/FS will allow monthly payments with a CC or if they charge a % fee for service. But I don’t think many, if any will allow CC payments with no fee.

3 Likes

Some dealers accept Apple Pay.

I used my Apple Card with Apple Pay for my MSDs. Max limit $5000.

2% back on $5000= $100.

Don’t miss miss the forest through the trees.

What’s your Macan deal?

The cash back from CC is chump change compared to that.

2 Likes

not great. i pounded them with tons of numbers and counters and everything i learned from this site. they finally got sick of me and said this is final. well, i found their limits. full msrp, .0025 mf, 58 rv, 43m/5k, no incentives. when i ran their number in the LH calc, the MP i got was much less than theirs. odd. at some point you just say fk it. at 69yo, i just want to drive a Porsche for 3.5 years.

7 Likes

Or an indicator that the deal isn’t what you think it is.

Don’t just ignore the giant red flag waiving in your face until you understand where the discrepancy is coming from

4 Likes

OH man THANK YOU!! So i just did a deep dive and realized the sales guy had my Mileage at 52,500. WTF? And he stated in an email " Also, please disregard the “mileage limit”. The software that we use defaults to the miles listed. To confirm, both leases are for 5k miles per year."

I put 15,000 annual miles into the LH Calculator and the numbers matched his. So basically he was lying to me and instead of 5,000 miles i asked for, he pumped it up to 15,000 annual miles, and lied about it with some crap about software default. Which increase the MP from $907 (Actual with 5K miles) to $956 (with his 15,000 miles) Which would add $2,058 to the term of the lease.

I will call him on this bullshit in the morning. Hopefully, I can get to the GM.

AGAIN, thanks for the red flag warning!!

2 Likes

The dealership or salespeople don’t benefit from the RV decreasing (and thus the payment increasing) when increasing the mileage allowance.

But the bigger picture is leasing doesn’t seem to offer you any benefits here. Why wouldn’t you just buy the damn thing and drive it as much or as little as you want to, for as long as you want to?

2 Likes

OK, now really confused. Why would buying be better than leasing here?

All I am asking is for the actual milage calculated (5,000) which would give me the ACTUAL monthly payment.

What’s the MSRP on this? Financing likely makes way more sense because you’re paying 42% of the car to drive it 17.5k miles over the course of 3.5 years, AT 6% INTEREST.
Porche’s keep their value wonderfully and you’re just lighting money on fire with an interest rate like that. Could you share your calculator we could give more finite answers that way.

2 Likes

Like I said you can just buy the damn thing and drive it as much or as little as you want to, for as long as you want to.

You also save the acq fee at the beginning and disposition at the end. You also save on minor wear & tear that could be charged on a lease but would realistically be overlooked by a used car buyer.

You’d save on financing costs.

So the question is, why is leasing this car better?

2 Likes

Here is their offer with a .00300 MF which they will reduce to .00250 MF

My LH Calculations

When we’re talking about .00250+ MFs, the answer is to just walk away

You’re talking $300/mo here just in rent charge

2 Likes

If you finance it for 60 months at 1.49%, you are looking at $1100 ish/month. Why on earth would you lease it at $1000/month effective?

3 Likes

Ya please finance this.
Even with $0 down at 2.3% interest, you’re looking at a monthly of $1021. Total finance cost: $61,285, time allowed to drive: infinite, restrictions: none

Your calculator shows a monthly of $973. Total lease cost: $40,876, time allowed to drive: 3.5 years, restrictions: a lot

Even if you didn’t care about interest or payments or any of the numbers, ask yoursel; in 3.5 years do you think the car would be worth more than $16,964? (57,840-40876)

Edit: forgot about tax in my finance cost…still you’re getting straight robbed with that lease. It’s funny to me that you could get 3 Wrangler 4XE’s w/ higher MSRPs for about the same a month

1 Like