“Should I buy out my lease?” super-thread

I did car gurus and they offered 18?,

Think I’ll just turn the vehicle back in unless someone wants to buy it from me at 35 grand.

Just passing it along. It’s a nice car. Never a problem and always serviced with Audi care. No accidents…

Car gurus is crazy

Carmax in nj says 29700 to 38482.

I guess I could take a half an hour ride up to carmax and see what they say?

It will be unlikely to get over $35k. Check with Autonation online.

I too have a 2021 etron with 17k miles. I’m turning it in.

I think I’m doing the same thing.

If nothing is available to lease I may extend the lease a few months month to month until something comes along…

It was a good lease and the cars still under warranty for another year so calling Audi and going month to month at what I assume will be the same price shouldn’t be a terrible option?

You have 17k on the vehicle…that might be a decent alternative too?

Yeah that’s my backup plan if I can’t find a good deal on an EQE/EQS or a similar deal on a Q8 etron

I stopped by the Audi dealer and for like three grand I can get a 3 year extended warranty. Audi service has been wonderful. The car has been utterly reliable…just don’t know if that’s what I’m interested in doing.

For those interested in extended warranties for Audi it’s called Audi pure.

I think I’ll just extend the lease a few months if no new great deals appear.

1 Like

No point buying a warranty for something that will cost you way over market to buy.

I have a 2023 Bolt EUV…it’s loaded with every option, Super Cruise, Upgraded Infotainment…the only thing it doesn’t have is the lighted charge port. It was a substitution of collateral with GM so I’m able to buy this car for 18,800 plus tax so figure around 21K. According to KBB, Edmunds, etc, the car as is has a value of between 26-29K depending on if I’m selling, trading it in, private party vs dealer etc. Car is in excellent shape and I tinted the windows and added a bike hitch receiver.

Lease is up at the end of the month and I have no other real options. My thought is to finance the balance with a 3 year loan (which would never brought to term) and drive it for another couple of months to see what the EV market is like in the April-July period. Then sell the car and take the remaining equity (might be a couple of grand by then)

Any words of wisdom?

Well you have the opportunity to buy a car you know well and really like for $18,800. A lot of new leases today would cost you that. Seems like a great plan to keep it and if you happen to score a killer deal, sell it then.

Will the used ev $4k credit applicable for this transaction (lease buyout)?

Discussed many times if you search - no

Sorry if I missed it, I searched through the forum.

I have an Acura lease up in a few months on a lease with Acura/Honda Financial.

I know they only allow a buyout to Acura/Honda. I’m thinking about purchasing a different model Acura (Integra) or a Honda Accord Touring.

Since you’re pretty much a ‘captured market’ do they offer a fair market trade in buyout…or just offer the buyout amount since you don’t really have any options?

I’m thinking it would be kind of colludy to all conveniently offer what the purchase price in your contract…but suppose it’s legal to do.

The only other option would be to buy it then trade it in.

Get tons of offers and choose the highest equity, whether that’s a Honda dealer without buying it or a non-Honda dealer after buying it.

1 Like

I’ve got a 2021 bmw m340i with only 21k miles on it. KBB says it’s worth ~$40k to trade in. My lease ends in may and I can’t decide whether to buy it out or trade for something else. If I keep it, it will need new tires ~$1500 in the coming months. Does it make more sense to keep or get the equity out while I can?

Get real purchase offers not KBB trade in values. Compare with your current buyout and decide.

2 Likes

You are missing a lot of details, read the first post in this thread and edit your post with details

Link in first post explaining how to do this, if you are unsure.

I got brand new pirellis for mine for half that. Just go to a local tire shop not the dealer.

Have u check costco? Even their michelin should not cost u that much.

Well this decision can’t be made in a vacuum. What’s on the table for “something else” and what will it cost?

Hello hackers. I’m considering buying out my lease and would appreciate your thoughts. I’m stuck with a somewhat expensive lease on a 2023 VW ID.4 Pro S, with a total cost of $23,585 (the price dropped a few weeks after I signed my lease). The current payoff is $38,833. If I factor in the payments I’ve made already ($6,337) and the $7,500 federal tax credit (which I qualify for), the total cost of the vehicle if I pay it off becomes $6,337 + $38,833 - $7,500 = $37,670, which seems more appealing to me than paying a high monthly lease for 3 years then turning in the car. Doesn’t that mean that as long as I can sell it for more than $14,085 (total buyout cost - total lease cost) by the time the lease is up then I’m better off buying than leasing? I’m aware that EVs depreciate badly, but I sold a 2019 e-Golf that I had 4 years to a dealership last July for $17k+, so I can’t imagine that the ID.4, which is much better equipped and has more than twice the range, would drop lower than the e-Golf did, no?

Also, do I have to pay sales tax on top of the amount shown in the payoff break-down below? VW said I don’t have to pay anything extra, but I don’t trust that info TBH. At first I thought the item labeled “Residual/Payoff Tax” was the sales tax, but I don’t think it is, because I’m in CA and the sales tax where I live is 10% and that number is not 10% of the RV or the total payoff amount.