“Should I buy out my lease?” super-thread

I see a couple of dealers selling m sport 330i models for 32-35k, however every estimate I’ve gotten from Vroom, Carmax, and a couple BMW dealers ranges from 25-28k, so I don’t know what the true value of the car is. I also don’t see too many M sport models for sale online in general. With the high interest rates these days, I just want to ensure I don’t end up with a very upside down loan in 3-4 years

I would be eligible for $7500 in California rebate. I love my BMW, but factors such as the car being 3 years old, and BMW depreciation make me wonder if it’s better to buy the car at 29k or finance a 38-40k new Tesla.

Any idea how they compare in terms of build/interior quality?

What about the $7,500 federal tax credit?

Sometimes when I see those 2 words together and I look at my $2000 rebate I got on my Volvo, I feel sad.

I have a lease coming due in a few months and am likely going to buy it out in cash. My local BMW dealer seems pretty enthusiastic about ‘handling’ the buy out for me. I had planned to just deal directly with BMWFS, but if the dealer will handle the DMV paperwork in CA, there’s some value to that. My question to anyone whose gone through the dealer is whether the dealer is layering in a bunch of fees for this ‘handling’?

Just a useful tidbit for some people deciding what to do. I extended my Ram with CCAP for 2 months atm. I can extend up to 6 with the same terms and it was pretty quick to do on the phone. Sent me paperwork with all the extension info. I’m getting about 90% of my payment going towards my buyout, this includes having to pay more tax upfront cause I’m NY. It seems to be the sales tax rate on my monthly payment for each additional month. Like I said even with this I’m getting 90% of my payment towards cutting down the buyout. So going to keep extending it until a I can find a deal and buy it out if I can’t. Will cost me $250-300 in total towards buying out the car if I buy it after 6 month extension (which I’ll make more than that on high interest savings of the buyout money during that time). This will likely vary a decent amount by lender but you should be able to see it before actually signing.

Model: 2021 Toyota Tacoma (SR Double Cab 4 cylinder with TSS)

Miles: 17,900 currently
Term: 12K / 24 Months
Lease End: September 2023
Monthly Lease: $199
Residual Value: $26,682.36

Carmax - $28,400; Carvana - $28,087; Vroom – $26,915

Condition: Excellent / State: TX

Qualified for Loyalty incentives; have FCA Affiliate, Ford X-Plan Pricing, GM Supplier Discount, Volvo A-Plan, BMW Group Corporate Sales, MB Corporate Account, VW Supplier Purchase Program

Pandemic era Taco deal. Was due back in March but I extended for 6 months. Use it primarily for errands and the lake here in Austin. Lowish miles, I bike to work. Fiance has a 2023 Sahara 4xe. Would really like to keep a truck around but new deals are $400+ and I think financing a buyout would be around $500/month for 60 months. Conflicted with the redesigned 2024s dropping this fall.

I’ve considered buying out and just listing on Turo part time since I don’t use it during the work week (already do this a bit, and fiance works at Turo). Is a Taco worth keeping around for the long term? I’m interested in other trucks but not seeing much for deals. I’m eligible for several corporate programs (listed above) through my company, but haven’t used them before and not familiar with how to use them. Any truck deals I’m missing? For non-trucks, the AutoCompanion offers on pre-order 2024 Wrangler 4xes seems decent.

Any input on whether to buy this out or just sell it off next month are appreciated. :pray:

Residual and buy out price are two different things.

Consider keeping it and listing on Turo part-time for extra cash. Explore those corporate programs for epic deals or check out the 2024 Wrangler 4xes.

Model: 2020 VW Tiguan SE-R Line Black FWD
Mileage: 37,000
Term: 39/10k
Lease End: August 2023
Monthly Lease: $379
Residual Value: $ 16,139.50
Payoff Amount: $17,571.88

Carmax: $22,000 Carvana: $20,551

Condition: Excellent / State: NY

Pandemic deal where I used all the knowledge learned from Leasehackr to get a fantastic deal on the Tiguan. Lease is about to be up and we are considering getting a new car as we are expecting a baby early next year. We want a car thats a little bigger and is an IIHS Top Safety Pick +. Torn between extending the lease, buying it out, or using the equity for a new car.

Any feedback helps. Thank you!

2021 BMW M340i
Would you buy it out and sell it private party or return it?
31k miles in excellent condition. Lease ends end of the year.

Any reason to sell it now?

No, going to drive it until end of the lease. Only discovering my options.

I am currently coming to an end on my Mercedes GLB lease and am debating on buying out the car vs. rolling into another GLB lease. My lease ends Sept 1.

Current lease payment is $644 (AFTER tax, includes prepaid service, Zurich shield, and wheel/tire plus). Paid $4000 down at signing (this was my first lease). This was a 36mo 15000mi per year lease. Vehicle price was $41900. Residual is $26755. The payoff quote for the lease end is $29130 after taxes and fees.

When discussing buying the car. The dealership also gave me a quote to lease a 2023 GLB that is coming out of their service fleet. It has 1700 miles, MSRP of $50225. I qualify for $2000 in incentives and they are offering $7328 off as demo savings, bringing the vehicle price to $40897. They have offered a lease payment of $592 for 36 mo at 12000 mi per year with $4000 down at signing. This is BEFORE the tax, prepaid maintenance, and tire/wheel plus, which I would probably go for. They didn’t provide with the cost of these up front. I just received this, so I didn’t get the residual value either.

I leased the first GLB in Ohio, but I have since moved to Florida, so that is where I will be buying or leasing this next vehicle.

My thought was originally to buy the current GLB and keep it for 3-4 years until ready to go to a larger vehicle. Now I’m debating if it’s a better move to lease the 2023 as it seemed like a decent deal off of market price.

Step 1.
Put your current card, details, mileage options, etc. into carvana vroom carmax give me the Vin etc, and see what it’s worth before you trade it in.

1. Florida/south Florida often (not always) offers the worst value leases, so if you can try and get one from Georgia or Louisiana, or anywhere away from south Florida.

I don’t know what the Mercedes market currently looks like especially for that specific vehicle but 10 or 12% off for demo does not sound like a crazy good deal. Also they are eating any equity you may have in the car.

Remember that you can also always have a dealer buy out your car directly and pay the non-sales tax payoff amount.

Doesn’t sound like a good lease deal at all.

Thanks @Petrem

Just checked with those three:

• Carmax: would not offer online
  • Carvana: $27,122
  • Vroom: $30,906

Current Miles on the car are 37,144.

I’m located in Clearwater, so not sure how feasible it will be to head to the next state up or over to review lease pricing.

I know neither are stellar deals, but my wife really likes the GLB and is hoping to hang onto it for a few more years. Just trying to go with an option that makes the most sense.

1 Like

Keep the current one.

1 Like

Do you have access to a phone and/or email? :slight_smile:

You can either have something delivered, or fly out and drive back.

The car in my garage (in Ohio) was leased from a dealer in Virginia.

I spent a small stash of AA miles + some Marriott points and bought a couple dozen gallons of gas, and - presto! - I was back home wishing I was somewhere else again.

Saved me thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars.

1 Like