“Should I buy out my lease?” super-thread

Return the car to the dealer.

Very unlikely you have equity in it :slightly_smiling_face:. I went through a similar scenario, unless things have changed

not with a carfax, no.

3 Likes

Thank you, both! If I am returning the car to the dealer then:

• Would my best bet be getting a new Volvo lease? It seems like Volvo offers incentives for Volvo customers who are nearing lease end? We are keen to have an SUV of at least the size of XC60 (and have been very happy with the XC60).
  • What prep work would you recommend to avoid issues at the time of lease end? (e.g., pre-inspection, chosing the next car, negotiating new lease with the dealer) When would be a good time to start these given that our lease ends in mid-October.
  • Is there a way to get equity on the car when returning to the dealer, considering the very low mileage (8600 miles)?

Thanks, again!

What are you paying for the car now?

No

You are eligible for Loyalty, yes

Pre-inspection from AutoVIN even though your Excess W&T will undoubtedly cover it. Get the inspection anyway.

1 Like

Isn’t the worst idea. Much better than serially leasing in today’s environment. The savings on depreciation + rent would more than pay for an extended warranty.

How many miles do you drive every 3 years? Understandably the 8,600 miles reflects covid lockdown etc but in a mostly post COVID world how much do you drive?

In the state of Texas do we need to pay double taxation when you buy out the lease. Interested in the id4. But looks like there is full tax at time of lease and also tax again to register it in your name . Is that the case ?

interested in some opinions here

2020 Audi A6 - leased through a LH-verified Audi Dealer

17k miles on the car - offered so far largest 33,500 by Vroom

Buyout is 29,900 at the end of lease in September. Buying out car + sales tax would be 33,5 so I am at dead even.

Debating what to do with the Audi, giving up a 17k mile car just flat out feels wrong but it will probably significantly depreciate over the next 3-4 years.

It will still be worth 20+ at 6yr old and 35k miles

If leased in TX and you are the same person buying it, you get a offset tax.
If leased in say NY then bought in TX then yes double tax.

https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/publications/96-254/leases.php#:~:text=No%20tax%20is%20due%20on,vehicle%20for%20lease%20in%20Texas.

1 Like

My lessor is saying I need to pay registration taxes of 6.25 after the buyout. I asked my dealer and they said the OTD does not include tax and I need to additionally pay tax.

I called the county tax office and they said I will need to pay tax to register on my name.

Well that out is out of my expertise…I just pointed out the parts that I think apply.

There is some covid lockdown impact. However I don’t foresee the current 3,000 miles yer year average to go beyond 5,000 per year over the next 3 years. So let’s say a total of 15,000 miles for the next 3 years. How does that impact the decision?

Have you had any issues with the car within the last 3 years?

No issues with the car.

Did you mean what am I paying for the lease? $580 per month including tax and excess wear & tear protection. No down payment, but did give refundable MSD of $6500. It’s a 36mo/10K lease.

I have 3 month old 23 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD that I leased in FL with the $7500 incentive.

My loaded Badlands Bronco (March 27 order) got built this week WAY ahead of schedule and I want it lol. The Ioniq 5 is a great car/EV but I already have another EV.

I wonder if I should buyout the Ioniq 5 lease and trade it in for the Bronco or simply sell the leased Ioniq 5 back to a a Hyundai dealer? The Ford dealer gives just a hair under MMR for trade ins as I’ve dealt with them before. They simply send the car to a broker to send to auction as they rarely take used cars to resell.

There’s probably no way to escape from the Ioniq 5 cleanly due to oversupply of EVs, interest rates, etc. I’m just trying to pick the least worst path.

I have a:

2021 VW Tiguan S. Base package with 11500 miles in San Francisco. 6 months left on lease.

Residual is 15900. Highest quote I got was Rodo for $23500.

I want to upgrade to a nicer car at the end of my lease, but I know VW charges a premium if I sell directly to Rodo/Carvana. Instead, I have to buy the car, get new title/registration, etc.

Is it worth it to buy it outright, do the paperwork and then sell it to Rodo?

Or should I try to sell to a VW dealer?

The only way to know is for you to do the legwork and get quotes from VW dealers

Doesn’t Rodo have any VW or Audi dealers in their network? They just need one, anywhere in the country