“Should I buy out my lease?” super-thread

Get quotes. It’s easy to start getting quotes online before spending any time in person.

It’s all moot until you have quotes.

Thoughts on a buy out given the below?

2021 X3 M40i. 18k miles on a 36k lease. Seeing offers to buy for ~$43k:

At around the 6-7 year mark, expect it to be worth around ~25% of original MSRP.

If you’re ok with that TCO based on depreciation, maintenance and financing costs, then go for it.

1 Like

Thanks. I wasn’t planning to keep it for the long haul. The lease market was just terrible at the time (still is but slightly better) and I figured cheaper to buy out but now with no warranty I’d rather not risk any potential expensive repair costs and lose the $1200 on the sale too carmax. I have another car to hold us over while looking for a new lease.

Oh, I was considering a buyout and then selling as I need a pickup.

Try to sell it directly without buying it. Your TTL destroys most of your equity.

Various brokers on LH
Equityhackr
Autonation
Multiple BMW dealers

1 Like

Hi all, seeking some opinions on what to do and best ‘value’. I am currently quite flexible (e.g. buy out lease, lease return and lease another BMW/non-BMW, or lease return and purchase another vehicle BMW/non-BMW)

2020 BMW M4 CS

MSRP: 103,xxx

Final price: 89,xxx

Monthly: 955

Driven: 21,000 miles out of 36,000 miles (anticipate 25,000 miles by contract end)

Lease payoff quote (5 months remaining on lease): 64,578

Contract end: 7/23

Residual: 61,529

Felt I got a reasonable deal on an M4 CS (overpriced MSRP to begin with) relative to MRSP and monthly payments. Plenty of enjoyment driving the M4 CS would not mind keeping until car prices normalize and an equally fun car is identified.

Caveat in the lease buyout vs return: 2 minor accidents. First, passenger door and rear panel damaged by another car in parking lot while parked (5k in repairs). Second, rear ended another vehicle at low speed – front bumper and grill damage (8k in repairs). Repaired both times at BMW Collision Center – all BMW parts used.

Thanks!

So what’s your VIN worth?

Online quotes obtained. Bye bye M4 CS! Thanks

2020 Jaguar I-pace
MSRP of about $89,000
Agreed upon value of vehicle was $59,500
Lease ending June of this year. Payoff amount of $36,500.

I can’t seem to find anything the wife is excited about for anywhere near the deal/payment of this car. She’s happy with it for the most part.

Estimates from Vroom, CarMax, etc are from $36k to $41k.

We can extend the lease another 6 months at current terms. Any reason to not keep it? Positive to even equity after paying CA tax. It’s still under warranty for 2 more years. We have cash to do the buyout so I’m not refinancing at ~7% APR.

I’d buy it out and keep it while under warranty, until you like something better.

1 Like

What does this mean?

The sale price after incentives?

$29500 in Incentives? Wow.

I think discount plus incentives.

But the crazier thing is that carvana and carmax and vroom all have it at 39k

After a 30k discount.

I would dump that and lease something with a better residual

Another year left for the 36m folks with a 4xe launch. What’s the consensus here, most jump ship? Buyout is 38/39k I believe. I only ask so I can start planning my exit on this car.

Quick search with cars.com found 2 at 42k w/ 40k+ mileage and another at 44k with 20k mileage (nationwide search for a rubicon). Don’t think selling it would be ideal anymore since they seem to have depreciated a bit.

I have a BMW 330xdrive Model 2020
Leased 36/10k
But I have only driven 7.5k in TOTAL in 3 yrs and the car is in mint condition. I am a physician and they the last few yrs were extremely busy at work hence did not get to drive my car.

My lease is over in 2 months… The lease end payoff is 33k
I checked carmax and carvana … apparently they are buying the car for 30 and 32k respectively. so thats neg equity.
Need suggestions on what to do? I do not want to keep it either as need more space and considering an suv
zip 07601

Simply return it? What am I missing?

3 Likes

Hello fellow physician :slight_smile: As mentioned, simply return it. I am not sure but I believe you may be able to get some money back for the unused miles but dont’ expect much. Read your contract or call BMWFS to see the amount, if any, you can be refunded for the unsued miles. Othewise, drive as much as you can the next 2 months if you want to enjoy it :slight_smile:

They would cut u a check for the unused milage but only to a certain amount.

1 Like