Curious about buying out my lease

2020 Subaru Legacy Premium, 26K Miles
Disposition Fee - $300
Current Bank - Subaru Financial Services
Disposition Date - 3/14/2023
Residual Value - 16,735.88
Extended Lease Options - Additional 6 Months
Equity - approximately 1500

Cheapest 2016 GLC on auto trader within 500 miles of me is $18k and is not an amg line. I’ll be offering a one owner car still under extended warranty in great condition, only one model old in life cycle. I don’t know how much less than $12k I should adjust my optimism?

Yes, I guess I could replace it with a corolla cross or sportage right now and those would be much more kind to the mileage. But I like the GLC. :orangutan:

Hey, I am looking for opinions here and help me make decision.

So i am at the last month of a 36m/12k months lease. The car is 2019 E300 RWD, half loaded (AMG, panoramic roof, 360/auto parking, Burmester sound, etc, but no ACC). Its MSRP is $63K, and I got a deal that time with 23% off. That large discount was mainly because it was a Loaner car but it’s a good deal at that time. I also bought paid maintenance and lease protection (to have peace in mind) so pushed residual value a big higher, i guess. Tts Residual value on the contract is about $35k.

Thanks to pandemic, I didn’t use up the mileage so i left about 20K mile unused (not to need to mention my lease protect would give me another 2k or 4k mileage. shame on me). So I was thinking to buy out this lease given the only 25K mileage, good condition and always using the best gas :grinning:.

However when I quoted with those online car dealers (carmax, carvana, etc), the best offer that I got now is <34k. (I just found an offer back in 2021 in my email box, it’s $42K, by Carmax, lol).

Do you think it’s worth buying out this car? I am now inclined to return the release or extend for a few months to search for another new car. Otherwise I would pay $35K(i think those prepaid maintenance and lease protection pushed price higher?) and the CA sale tax.

Your opinions are very appreciated!

S

It’s worth roughly to a third-party what you’ll pay to buy it out, plus tax ($2100-3000?)

If you didn’t buy it out or extend the lease, what is your alternative to replace it?

Aside from fewer-than-planned mileage and top tier gas, do you like it well enough to drive it for a couple years?

Maybe a 6 seats SUV (for my Wife). We also have another car that is barely used.

It’s a nice car. not sure how long I would keep it at least 1~2 years. I am bit worried about its resale value then as it will be technically two owners (coz it used to be a Loaner car but I don’t know).

I think this buyout is a no-brainer, but looking for some input.

Due to a change circumstances, this truck is barely being used anymore. I don’t need to replace it with anything.

2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4, 8K Miles
Disposition Fee - $350
Current Bank - Toyota Financial Services
Disposition Date - 1/21/2024
Monthly Payment - $350
TFS Buyout Cost - $35,214
Residual - $32,120
Equity - getting offers in the $39,000 range

Thanks!

If you can get another truck for Less than $550/month OTD you will make a profit.

Yup. No brainer to sell it.

Thanks guys!

Hackers,

Can you explain how a BMW early lease buyout works? I’m planning to lease a BMW i4 e35 and take advantage of the $7500 federal EV credit for leasing vs buying. However, I’m not sure how the early lease buyout works on a BMW. I’ve spoken to two dealers, and they’ve given me conflicting information. I want to know how BMW calculates the early buyout price after 12 payments. My monthly payment is $548, with $375 as the depreciation charge and $172 as the rent charge. My understanding is that the total buyout amount would be the remaining depreciation amount ($375) multiplied by the remaining months (24) plus the residual amount. Is this correct?

Also the reason I want to buyout early is that my mileage is usually north of 20K every year and also I don’t plan to keep the vehicle for more than 12 - 15 months.

Thanks

Residual plus remaining payments less unearned interest.

3 Likes

Thanks IAC. So the unearned interest is calculated using the money factor or the rent charge as per the leasehackr calculator correct?

What’s your contract say?

Don’t take the LH calc as gospel as infallible it is not.

Example: A one-pay I sent a customer recently that turned out to be significantly lower upon review using our desking software.

1 Like

How is an i4 a good candidate for this?

I haven’t signed the lease yet. I wanted a sedan / compact SUV so was looking at all the available options. Members on the forum mentioned that i4 has the 7500 lease credit and BMW dealers are discounting them an additional 3 %. If there is a better option please let me know.

Many other EVs have the $7,500 lease credit.

And 3% is nothing considering how overpriced the sticker is. Every other 2WD ~250 mile range EV is around $45k.

Also, have you considered the logistics of charging when you’re planning to drive north of 20k miles per year?

Yeah for someone that drives 20k per year I am surprised range isn’t a big priority. Personally I could care less about range as I have an ICE for road trips and I can charge at home - driving more than 50 miles a day is almost never going to happen for me.

Also if you know you are going to buy it out, then MF isn’t really as big of a concern. Maybe an id4 is an option OP?

I drive close to 50 miles daily for work, My average daily would be 110 miles. So range is not a problem for me as I can charge overnight. As far as I know the only other vehicles that qualify for the 7500 credit and are below 50K are ID4, Q4 Etron, Volvo XC40 but the MF for all those those three vehicles is at 0.00387 which is way too high in my opinion compared to the 0.00225 for BMW. Also styling/ packaging of BMW is better than the other vehicles in the list.

Hi,

Im coming up on the end of a 24mo/10k lease on my Nissan Leaf SL Plus. Overall I like the car and it’s fit my lifestyle well. I can go either way in terms of keeping it and being happy or possibly letting it go and getting into another EV that has a bit more space and range. The one problem for me is the inability to quick charge it and the older chademo standard, which kills the ability to road trip with this car.
I’m well under mileage on this thing. I’m at 14k miles at the lease is up in May. So about roughly 6k below…

That being said, the buy out is $26,465 and my current monthly is $292.32. I know the days of having that kind of payment are gone. If I keep it, wondering if I should throw a down with the buy out to keep the payment reasonable close to what it was during the lease. I can probably throw in like 5k or something and just keep the car.

With 5k down, the buyout + ca tax seems to put the payment around $410 a month assuming a 4.5% interest rate from a credit union of some sort.

On the other hand, for 410 a month, I’m wondering if I can get into another EV thats a bit more modern and has better charging. I’m considering the bolt EUV but the trunk space is way smaller than the leaf.

What do? :slight_smile:

Appreciate the input and sorry if these are stupid questions…

My situation: I’m at the last 3 months of my 2020 Q5 P+ lease. My RV is $30,200, and I have 3 payments left @$700/mo (including tax). Got a payoff quote from AudiFS for $32,200. Low mileage (17k). I’m in CA. I realize if I want to buy & keep, I have to pay sales tax - I’m in CA so that’s 10% - UGH.

Got a CarMax quote for $36,600. I realize I can get other quotes but just trying to understand the basics.

Question 1: can I drive to CarMax, hand them the keys, and walk away with a $4,400 check? Meaning, they pay me the difference between their $36.6k quote and my $32.2k payoff? I don’t have to “buy” the car from Audi and pay 10% sales tax and DMV fees before I “sell” to CarMax?

Question 2: assuming I agree to lease/buy another Audi (not a given by any means), and assuming I’m willing to do some negotiating (several dealers near me in NorCal)… would a dealer give me close to $36.6k on a “trade”? I know enough to negotiate the 2 deals separately, but the question is - will an Audi dealer essentially match CarMax?

Thanks in advance!