“Should I buy out my lease?” super-thread

A Honda SUV or Toyota is in your future. Extend this lease few months if you can because who knows things may get better in the spring

Do you have to have the latest and greatest? You could find a discounted 2022 RAV4 right now via the brokers. Not sure there’s still discounted 2022 CR-Vs around. A 2023 CR-V will be marked up, probably heavily.

I’d also recommend considering a Tiguan. German solidity, might be more to your liking coming out of a BMW.

My wife’s lease is up in a few weeks and we are exploring options.
2020 430i Grand Coup with 15,300 miles and excellent condition.
Residual is $29k.

Due to low milage we are considering keeping it and then explore selling in a year or two. Mileage should still be very low i.e. 20k in Dec 2023. Only concern is service & warranty cost that would no longer be covered.

Reaching out to our credit unions exploring lease buy out rates. Also reached out to BMW as to options, but they want us come into the dealer before really providing any info as to terms and rates.

Wondering what others suggest as who to contact about financing. Is going with BWM a good/bad idea what perks do they offer or be asking for such as extended warranty/service etc.

edit - Added Residual.

1 Like

I would not recommend buying this unless you want to keep it for a while. Chances are, your buyout is higher than the actual value and its a last gen body style.

1 Like

Residual is $29k and pricing similar cars at same milage are all $5-7k more.

Check out this thread for finance options: The Best Finance Rates & Hacks! Submit your CU recommendations!

Have you reached out to BMW dealers to see what they would offer you, if you were to sell it?

Thanks for the CU info.

As to seeing if BMW had interest, the one dealer I did speak with while getting service was luke warm. They say for them the value was right around the residual and also my guess that they thought they would get it back in a month. This was also before I realized that Carmax wont even give a quote for a leased BMW.

Have you looked into getting into another lease instead of buying out your car? There are still deals out there. Feel free to check out broker deals in the Marketplace to get an idea of what’s available.

:point_up: :point_up: I would have to agree.

1 Like

Appreciate the assistance and info. But it looks for similar monthly cost of around $415 ($460 w tax) its a model down 4 series to 3. But will keep looking. We can extend the lease for 2 months without a commitment so don’t have to rush into anything.

1 Like

Unfortunately, even a base 330i won’t be leasing in that price range in this market. You might have to look at other cars.

4 Likes

They offer convenience for, let’s be honest, a lot of lazy people.

Secure your own financing from the CU thread.

Find a BMW platinum extended warranty from one of the sponsors on the various BMW forums.

3 Likes

Double check this but from what I know, your spouse won’t pay sales tax if you buy the lease and sell it to her in 10 days.

Your warranty should also be active for another 12 months if this car was punched the day you leased it.

What is the upside to this?

Upside is they can “avoid” paying taxes if they want to finance it and keep the car. If they lease a new car they will be paying taxes on the monthly payment again.

1 Like

Personally I’d probably just buy out your 2020, even if it’s not swimming in equity. You could return it and then finance a new one, but how much more would that cost? Is a brand new 2023 worth $20k-$25k more to you?

Are there other cars you’d rather have?

As long as your buyout isn’t ridiculously high relatively to that market on these things (which doesn’t sound like it’s the case), it’s not a bad option if you like the car.

I think OP was looking at leasing a new BMW. Hence, buying out one’s lease vs financing a new one might not be the best comparison given the price difference.

This was my suggestion given OP’s budget requirements.

Getting a new vehicle with a warranty and maintenance included is far from free.

There are thousands of dollars of transaction costs alone every time you trade.

This doesn’t even factor the additional cost of a new car itself or how much more the finance charges will cost you on a higher cap cost / loan amount that what you have now.

So is it worth an extra $5,000 to you to have “someone else” provide “free” maintenance and repairs? $10,000? $50,000?

The money is always coming out of your pocket. So what’s your number? :slight_smile:

1 Like

OP will have to pay sales tax if he buys it. If he does not pay sales tax and tries to “sell” it to his wife, she will have to pay sales tax when she registers the car. The no tax due situation only works when the sale within 10 days is made to a car dealer/reseller. In those cases, the State gets their tax when the dealer/reseller sells the car.

1 Like

There is a post here how someone ‘convinced’ DMV that the sale to the wife is non taxable (TRUE) and they don’t need to pay Tax on the original transaction (GREY area).

So theoretically, a transfer to the wife before title change somehow doesn’t incur a tax charge.

I havent seen anything that suggests the 10 day resale clause in CA requires the vehicle to be sold to a dealer and can’t be private party.

1 Like