“Should I buy out my lease?” super-thread

Get your lease-end inspection from AutoVIN asap. If you aren’t planning to buy out the car, yes start getting quotes from BMW dealers to buy it, try and save yourself the disposition fee.

Did you check 3rd parties for value? For the future know that you also overspent a lot by paying for 40K miles on your lease when only using 28K.

COVID reduced my anticipated travel significantly…not much I could have done there. I’ve checked with Carvana and some others, mostly in the $28-$30k range as well…

Yep, not using mileage on leases for any reason is a big downside to them. Pre return lease inspection will catch tire/brakes…how do you plan to ‘negotiate’ out of that? Are you going to buy another car from them?

I would start with buying a matching used run flat tire. After that you can ask your dealer if they would like to buy it.

Yes of course the sum of payments is going to be much higher than the selling price of the original lease.

When you leased, you paid acq and rent charge and tax on top of the depreciation.

When you finance it at lease end, you’ll pay the residual plus interest plus tax.

The only way for you to pay the original selling price would have been to pay cash on day one, and you still need to pay tax.

How much exactly is your equity? What’s the highest bid when you plug in your VIN into each of these:

1 Like

Yeah plan to lease a car from them. So am hoping they won’t charge for that and disposition but we will see I guess.

Hello wanted some advice on either to keep my car or just transfer into a cheaper car for now until car prices come down a little. this is my situation currently in a 2020 M550 22k miles with a maturity date on 1/7/2023, I have a buyout of 50k taxes included still would have to purchase warranty and stuff , ideally id like to keep the car another year and sell but fear how the used car market might tank and leave me at a loss. should i take that gamble or get into a short term lease like a jeep and wait for it to balance out over time…

Hi All – hoping for some advice on my lease buyout. I have definite lease equity in my 2020 X3 M40i with the lease ending on 12/31/22. I am considering trading this in for a Ford Bronco. In order to do this, however, I know that I will need to buyout the lease as BMW won’t accept a dealer purchase of the leased vehicle. Ultimately, I will want to finance the vehicle I am trading in for, but in order to get ownership of the BMW, I will need to finance that first. Just looking for advice on how best to get financing for the lease buyout when I will also need to get financing for the Bronco. Seems silly to do this twice and potentially not possible to obtain two financing deals in a matter of days. Thanks!

Some Ford Dealerships also own a BMW dealership, you can trade it in direct with the Ford one.

1 Like

I don’t live in AZ but getting the bmw transferred and retitled in 2022 seems ambitious.

For short-term financing on the buyout, checkout

same boat as you except idk what car to get into currently in an m550

You have a bigger problem: you need to be test driving alternatives until you find something acceptable, and getting quotes from third parties (as if you financed) to see what it’s actually worth.

I can’t imagine coming out of an M550 and being happy in a 4xe or Frontier…

Thank you - this is helpful. Does anyone have experience applying for short-term financing such as this on a buy-out and still getting the long-term financing for the vehicle they intend to trade in for?

I also didn’t think about the transfer/title timeline to be honest. If the funds can be obtained same-day, is this still a concern?

Not sure if there an Audi thread for these questions - but just wanted to confirm with you guys if this is a no brainer.

2019 Audi A6 P+
$620/month
Expires May 2023

Residual is $29k+ tax (total $31K ish)
WAY below mileage 36K max currently ~22K miles

Current KBB trade in - $34K
Current KBB private - $38K

I will be slightly positive in equity which isn’t the most important factor, its the fact that there are no good new lease deals currently (nowhere near a $0 DAS $600/month payment for a $65K car)

Thoughts?

Others here have used Lightstream for their lease buyouts. It’s unsecured: as long as your credit/income can support the new one it shouldn’t be an issue, but if your DTI is already stretched then :man_shrugging:t2:

I don’t know how fast AZ can turn around the title and what the purchasing dealer expects there, worth asking them.

The KBB numbers don’t indicate what someone will pay for it today. Need purchase quotes to determine better (linked above and first post).

I personally wouldn’t touch this until near the end of Q1 2023, especially if you haven’t targeted a replacement yet.

1 Like

We have GLE 350 lease expiring in couple of days, $575 per month. Paid MSD $7500. Low miles due to pandemic.

We have an end of the lease buy out option of 35k.

We are thinking of buying it and then reselling in few months for a higher prices. Based on our limited research, we think it will go for 45k or more. Any thoughts?

Will we have to pay any additional taxes or other fees when buying?

Note: We don’t want to enter into another lease as we may be moving across the country in summer. So, either we return it and make do with 2nd car for few months or buy it, make some profit when we are ready to sell.

Thanks and happy new year!!

2020 350 GLE’s are going for 35k at Fletcher Jones, so unless yours is super ‘special’ don’t think they will give you $45k, more like $30k for it.

When you buy you pay taxes on the amount you paid (unless in TX or one of those prepaid states), plus what ever other fees they can think of.

Scroll up and find the links to see how you can properly value your car.

You’ll pay 6.625% tax on the buyout price in NJ and then $300-400 for reg/title.