Should Brokers reveal damage to demos up front- or is it buyer beware?

So this week I was negotiating for a lease deal on a demo with a LH broker- got through 3 rounds of communications-

1. Settled on specific Car.
  2. Finalized financial terms.
  3. Requested documentation to confirm color/packages
    Finally asked for the CarFax report prior to sending over payment- since I knew it was a demo- and then saw there was a report of minor damage on the vehicle. To be fair- broker never hid it, and sent me the report as soon as I asked for it. So, I won’t name the broker.

To me it just felt a little dishonest with no disclosure right at the beginning- the broker saw no problem with it- the deal died right there and we both wasted time on it.

Wanted to see what the LH community thought- should the broker have revealed it when we agreed upon the vehicle- or was it my responsibility to bring it up and ask for the CarFax report?

Probably more likely the broker wasnt even aware until it was brought up.

What kind of minor damage are we talking about?

1 Like

And I assume we are referring to damage history on the CarFax, and not any current (apparent) damage?

CarFax reported damage- noted as minor.
Damage to trunk- no other comments in report.

He’s talking about reported accidents. They should be disclosed in a damage disclosure, anyway. Highly likely a broker doesn’t even know. Hell - when I sell volvo loaners, I don’t check their faxes. I’m positive my dealers don’t. I’ll even give you another example - Park Ave Acura, which used to have a salesperson post here, prior to the shortage, sold a ton of RDX and TLX loaner cars, which are now coming due. I’m getting a ton of those people coming to me since that guy is no longer at park ave. i haven’t seen this many carfaxes on loaner cars, while they were IN loaner service ever…

1 Like

I wouldn’t expect a broker to know that level of detail about each car, I would think that would fall to me to do the research about - but that aside, I wouldn’t care about minor repaired damage either. It’s a loaner with tons of farts, some damage is to be expected IMO which is why it’s discounted.

The general rule of thumb with loaners is that as long as there is no damage that you could be charged for at lease end, anything else is fair game.

I can’t imagine why you or anyone would care if a loaner you’re borrowing for 3 years that you got a massive discount on has a bad CarFax. I’ve actually used a bad fax as a negotiating point in the past on loaners/demos.

5 Likes

I agree - that is likely the norm 99% of the time