Shortages Affecting Auto Production: Semiconductor, foam, etc

Not the Chip!

Fast forward 46 seconds and in guarantee you will think about the auto industry shortages. What a wasted chip…

Apple in their earnings call this week said they too are going to be hit by chip shortages.

Now the largest and most sophisticated company at sourcing in the world is saying this is a risk to watch.

The US Infra bill that’s being pushed right now includes large dollars going towards building fabs as well.

Hope the issue is solved before my lease expires and I have to throw in the towel and get a Tesla :frowning:

2 Likes

Since they are just as much at risk as everyone else with chip shortages, and taking their response to now, I would guess that they will be selling a $50k unicycle citing data that no one needs all that fancy schmancy rest of the vehicle.

2 Likes

Ooops

1 Like

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

1 Like

aka american Trabant.

2 Likes

300 hectares on a single tank of kerosene.

homer simpson put it in h GIF

3 Likes

Not exactly related to the current shortages (nor will it fix them today), but this could be a step in the right direction

Veoneer was spun off from automotive safety system maker Autoliv in 2018. The company formed a joint venture with Volvo Cars, dubbed Zenuity, that was focused on advanced driver assistance systems. That venture was later split last July.

The ADAS developer also has a pre-existing relationship with Qualcomm. The two companies signed an agreement in January to collaborate on an ADAS platform.

QCT being one of the few who has continued to operate US-based fabs.

2 Likes

Qualcomm has always been fabless (Design + have TSMC/Samsung/3rd party manufacture it). Are you mixing it up with Intel?

2 Likes

The commercial products (eg Snapdragon CPUs and cellular modems) are fabbed by third-parties, of course. But they are definitely not fabless, it’s just that the chips they make don’t go into anything you can buy on the open market.

More distant good news (although we’re robbing memory to pay for processors)

3 Likes

Add GM to the list of manufacturers who “build-shy” and are accumulating unfinished WIP inventory

Bloomberg: WHITE HOUSE SAYS ITS SUPPLY CHAIN TEAM IS IN TOUCH WITH AUTO INDUSTRY EXECUTIVES ABOUT ISSUES DRIVING UP PRICES

:face_with_monocle::flushed:

1 Like

This morning I dropped off my car for routine service at Kelly BMW.

They’re 1 of 2 BMW dealers in the Columbus, Ohio MSA (~2 million people), and if you want to buy a new BMW there, you currently have 9 from which to choose.

1 Like
  1. 1 appears sold.
2 Likes

Looks like they have two with 3 rows, for anyone who’s expecting their first child.

13 Likes

Oh, c’mon​:joy: you didn’t have to go to “need 3 row suv with my first child”:joy:
Everyone knows it is a requirement. As well as 4 bedroom house😂

1 Like

@Lvs23 was raised in a ZAZ-966 with no third row and he turned out ok…

5 Likes

That’s interesting. Looking in DC metro area, which granted is about three times the size, the shortage doesn’t seem nearly acute. Multiple dealerships (passport, Bethesda, Alexandria) have 100+ new cars in stock - granted all are heavy on 3 series trims.

Wonder why conditions are different here? Different buying patterns, historical allocation models etc.

Not sure exactly, but I drove past Mercedes-Benz of Easton over the weekend, and it looked like they were closed.

They aren’t, they’re just down to 26 new (as of the time I pasted the link).

Nearby Nissan dealer’s new car lot looks relatively normal (but I have no idea if they normally keep hundreds offsite, but now WYSIWYG).