Shortages Affecting Auto Production: Semiconductor, foam, etc

Is Stellantis closing for a while actually bad news?

2 Likes

Yes, it’s representative of challenges facing not just them. Although I wouldn’t be surprised if FCA poorly planned and had fewer hedges for this scenario.

I was just thinking a little less stellantis in the world might be a blessing in disguise

4 Likes

I just heard that there is a shortage of windshields for X5s - 2-3 backorder if you need one. Yikes.

1 Like

You don’t love panel gaps?

1 Like

Not sure if this is related to chip shortages but BMW is running short of M performance exhausts as well for G20/G22s. You can add every single port option on your build except MPE and no one knows if or when it’ll be back in stock.

2 Likes

Must be contributing too.

They’ve been out for a month so I’m not sure if it’s directly related to suez canal blockage. Although this will lead to all kinds of other shortages I’m sure.

Too bad there aren’t flying machines that can bring things from place to place. :smirk:

2 Likes

Not at nearly the same cost, but yes. A lot of already short or stuck product will switch to air freight for their next shipment.

This thread is about any kind of disruption that will affect cars for sale on dealer lots.

2 Likes

And Honda’s DONE

1 Like

Even sea freight that doesn’t get stuck is routinely getting delayed at port for 2-4 weeks. My company has had to fly a lot of product from Japan. Obviously everyone else is air freighting too. Parts have been sitting at airports for 7-10 days before they even get off the ground. Never seen anything like this.

2 Likes

This is affecting the heavy duty vehicle industry. Have about a dozen bobtail style trucks ordered that are delayed by 60 days currently. They shut the line down and laid everyone off.

2 Likes

Back in the days auto workers used to still get paid a high% of their wages with supply chain disruptions, probably not true anymore.

The following BMW models cannot be built with Driving Assistance Professional (ZDY) right now due to the shortages:
X3 (4-cylinder, all trims)
330i, 330ix, 330e, 330ex (online configurator also shows it’s not available on either driveline of the M340i, but the official bulletin doesn’t say this)
X4 xDrive 30i
430i coupe - both drivelines
430i convertible - only RWD

Therefore, if this option is a must and you find one on the lot that’s almost perfect, you should probably consider buying it. There is no potential end date as of now.

2 Likes

A U.S. auto industry group this week urged the government to help and warned that a global semiconductor shortage could result in 1.28 million fewer vehicles built this year and disrupt production for another six months.

Here’s the newest option not available on a 3 series - 19" black wheels with any of the tire choices.

Wooo, let the fun begin!

1 Like

so it comes on cinderblocks?

4 Likes

There are new Escalades sitting in dealer lots for weeks with steel wheels, while waiting for the black wheels to arrive. Weird times.

It depends on whether it’s an NA build or not.