Shortages Affecting Auto Production: Semiconductor, foam, etc

Think of how much more room you’ll have with all the styrofoam gone!

5 Likes

Sorry we can’t get you or retrofit that module and it’ll permanently impact your MPG… so how’s about $50 and we call it even? :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

This may be the most GM thing they have ever done

6 Likes

Hondas (Hondi?) about to get more scarce:

3 Likes

Camaro is now halted. Bye bye to LT1 deals.

3 Likes

who is the main supplier for all these chips?

1 Like

The thing is the car manufacturing have been reduced since covid19.
The semicon shortage impacts multiple industries. It’s interesting to investigate how it’s impacting an industry that already producing less.

TSM and Samsung produce the vast majority of chips

TSM has been quite the ride over the last few weeks/months…

1 Like

I made some money on it last fall. Should have made it a long term hold.

1 Like

More bad news: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/26/stellantis-closing-five-north-american-plants-due-to-chip-shortage.html

Is Stellantis closing for a while actually bad news?

2 Likes

Yes, it’s representative of challenges facing not just them. Although I wouldn’t be surprised if FCA poorly planned and had fewer hedges for this scenario.

I was just thinking a little less stellantis in the world might be a blessing in disguise

4 Likes

I just heard that there is a shortage of windshields for X5s - 2-3 backorder if you need one. Yikes.

1 Like

You don’t love panel gaps?

1 Like

Not sure if this is related to chip shortages but BMW is running short of M performance exhausts as well for G20/G22s. You can add every single port option on your build except MPE and no one knows if or when it’ll be back in stock.

2 Likes

Must be contributing too.

They’ve been out for a month so I’m not sure if it’s directly related to suez canal blockage. Although this will lead to all kinds of other shortages I’m sure.

Too bad there aren’t flying machines that can bring things from place to place. :smirk:

2 Likes