Short guide for who gets what for EV lease incentives (California)

Tax man is coming. Apparently people have been falsely claiming tax credits, particularly on leases.

Expect a letter from the IRS if you claimed the Federal Tax Credit.

1 Like

Hello Folks

I live in Sacramento but have family that lives in San Joaquin. Looking at picking up an EV . here’s what I am looking at

• $7500 Federal Grant
  • $2500 California Grant
  • $500 Bonus Drive
  • $2500 CVRP ( Is it confirmed that I’ll get it as long as I qualify or there’s a chance of disapproval if they run out of funding. I am okay with waiting)
  • $SMUD grant

I don’t know what proofs are required but if I use San Joaquin address, what documents I need to present. Website says Utility bill which can be PGE however would they disapprove if the DL address & other address is different ?

I would be surprised if they would go by the DL address…people move all the time and not change their DL every time they do it. They will want to see your name on that utility bill.

So I can just buy a car with Sac address and then get a letter from my family member that they’re a tenant and I should be good to go ?

Not sure how you came to that conclusion from @Mark.ca’s post. He clearly stated.

2 Likes

Not every one in the household have their name on the bill.

Then you need another form of proof.

2 Likes

You need to “prove” that you are a SJV resident in order for this fraud to be successful.

3 Likes

I thought we call it Hack here :slight_smile:

update: after Dec 3, 2019, California rebate will be reduced by $500. See https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/faqs/what-should-i-know-about-december-3rd-program-changes

The new rebate amounts will be:
$4,500 for Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles
$2,000 for battery or range-extended electric vehicles
$1,000 for plug-in hybrid electric vehicles
$750 for zero-emission motorcycles

3 Likes

Emissions standards are being reformed Nationwide. A lot of state rebate and tax credit programs have expired and are being reworked to be offered again soon.

and HOV stickers! https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/decal

Also: Vehicle Purchaser or Lessee:

• Rebate limits are reducing from 2 rebates to 1 rebate per any single entity for individual and business applicants. This will not be applied retroactively. Applicants who have not already met their rebate limit prior to December 3, 2019, will be eligible for one additional rebate after December 3rd, 2019. Those that have already met their two-rebate limit will remain ineligible for an additional rebate.
  • Applicants will need to submit applications within 3 months of the vehicle purchase or lease date (post purchase applications only). Vehicles purchased or leased prior to December 3rd, 2019 will continue to have an 18-month eligibility window in which to submit an application.

Important: Applications are subject to the Terms and Conditions in place at the time of application submission. Exceptions will not be granted.

Vehicle Eligibility:

Vehicle Eligibility Criteria:

• An MSRP cap of $60,000 will be instituted on all vehicles with the exception of fuel cell electric vehicles
  • The Urban Dynamometer Driving Schedule (UDDS) all electric range will be increasing from twenty miles to 35 miles.

Beginning December 3, 2019, vehicles that no longer meet eligibility requirements as defined above will be removed from the eligible vehicle list. Please check back soon, as the final vehicle eligibility list is still being determined.

Eligibility Based on Income:

• Income verification is required for all members of the household ages 18 and older (currently 17 and older).

My situation: my principle residence is in Las Vegas, NV - but I work in the Bay Area. I am interested in leasing an EV, and intend to register in CA and keep it in the Bay Area to get around while I’m up there. Will I be eligible for the $2500 rebate?

It’s the registration address that counts…so you should get it.

Thanks! I will be back in the Bay Area next week and will go to work hacking a lease on one. I am sold on EV tech at this point, should be interesting.

Anyone out there that sold or transferred their lease and had to refund CA cvrp rebate?

I’m going through a lease transfer now and couldn’t find any useful data point on this yet.

I haven’t personally, but ca has been going after people recently for misuse of the rebate.

I’ll refund it for sure, but just trying to understand the process and also figure out if I need to refund a prorated amount or in full.

It’s prorated, my understanding is they do dmv checks and send you a bill if you don’t have the car anymore.

1 Like