Sales tax from out of state lease to MN

Can someone help me…I leased a car out of state and that dealer sent me a check for the amount of the sales tax since I am registering the vehicle in MN. However, when I went to the DMV to register the vehicle in MN, they did not charge me the sales tax only registration.

I’m really confused, as I thought I was supposed to essentially endorse that check over to the MN DMV. Is there another way I am supposed to do this?

Any help would be much appreciated!

IIRC, you pay taxes in the state you leased in and they send it to MN. If their state tax rate is lower you have to pay the difference at registration. If its higher you get a refund.

In your case, its sounds like you avoided paying taxes. I don’t know if they’ll catch up to you. Given how messed up our DMV is you may have gotten away with one but you might also get a bill from the state down the road.

1 Like

That’s kind of what I thought. I paid there, then they sent me a check. The DMV should have taken that money. For now, I’ll put it in a safe spot until it catches up with me.

Thank you for weighing in.

Just had the exact situation happen to me today. Curious how your situation played out Hawkeye?

Sorry Greenfinn…haven’t been very active on here, and just saw this message. To be honest, no nothing has come of it. I just cashed the check and have been waiting. The key will probably be when my tabs/registration are due for renewal. I have a feeling if this was an error and they catch it, that’s when it would be. I don’t think those come due until the Dec/Jan timeframe.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Where are you located Greenfinn?

My son leased a car out of state last November. We got a check for the tax. It was about $800 too much. I cashed it, put in my credit union, forgot about it.

My son’s tabs are due by the end of the month, $450, so surprises. I gave him the money. He spent it.

I leased another Volvo from same dealer in January. I got an extra $900. I’ll be spending it.

We live in Minnesota.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies!

I’m in Ohio, car came from Kansas. Had to go to a title bureau here first, then over to the plates and registration office. Title receipt lists-
purchase price: $32,xxx
taxes: $0
exempt: RL-RESALE-LEASING DEALER

Figuring that’s their system/mistake?