Sales tax and property taxes on lease for car (Hyundai) registered in Missouri

I am helping family member with a lease. The car is being picked up in VA and will be registered in Missouri. The dealership is using Beacon title and tag service. Beacon is telling the dealership that the sales tax should be on the full cost of the car but from what I can find online, it should only be on the lease payment.

What is the correct method for sales tax computation?

Does anyone know of any documentation that spells out the correct taxation method for auto leases for cars registered in Missouri.

Also how are property taxes billed by Hyundai Financial? Do they send an invoice once Missouri bills them or do they collect the estimated property taxes up front for the term of the lease?

Payment is taxed. I recently did MO Lease

You will get overpayment in any case, but it should not be taxed at VA sales tax rate on the full selling price.

These clowns are gonna cost you a lot of money.

1 Like

What is odd is that Beacon title and tag is instructing the dealership to use 7.1% as the tax rate which doesn’t line up with VA tax rate so no idea where they are getting that rate or methodology.

Who would typically pay back that overpayment? Would it be the dealership or the title service?

They’ll each say “talk to the other.” You don’t want to be the monkey in the middle.

Avoid this structure at all costs. Get it right on the contract or don’t sign it.

1 Like

Probably dealer. I got overpayments a few times when doing different states. VA tax is 4.15%, so they are giving you the worst of both worlds.

Considering the difference is over 2.5K, I agree that I don’t want to be the monkey in the middle so trying to figure out how to best rectify this.

You’ll pay the property tax every December. The bank will pay the bill on your behalf and the bank will bill you for the prop tax. Personal experience with Chase and CCAP.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.