Rumor: US EV credit to increase to $10,000

Manchin is meeting with Biden next week - everything is still in play

1 Like

I am looking forward to the entire federal district relocating to Charlestown

4 Likes

I hear it’s nice this time of year!

1 Like

It’s always a good time to play the ponies (not always a good time to white water raft).

Will the $7,500 credit still in be in play for the 4Xe’s if BBB doesn’t fly? Or do those sunset on Dec 31?

Nothing sunsets on Dec 31 unless there’s something new on Jan 1 to replace it.

8 Likes

Someone had mentioned previously that buying a car at lease end should technically qualify for the potential used EV tax credit. Has this been discussed or mentioned anywhere else? Would be pretty nice :+1:

I vaguely recall there being language that doesn’t allow that.

1 Like

That’s a really good question actually. I haven’t seen anything regarding this myself, but I know that dealers are able to assume the tax credit on leases so I am guessing it’s been used up by the time the lease ends. Just a guess though.

Musk told the Wall Street Journal’s Joanna Stern on Monday. "I’m literally saying get rid of all subsidies“

Back on Earth 1, Time’s “worst self haircut of the year” is angry about…reduced subsidies?

The White House/VP had an event yesterday about EV charging, which was good, but I haven’t found one news outlet’s coverage worth sharing.

2 Likes

When all else fails, go to the source document,

If you are leasing the vehicle and have claimed the initial tax credit, either directly or as transferred to the dealer as a point of sale, you are the taxpayer with which original use commences. Therefore, you would not qualify for the used vehicle credit when buying out the lease due to the original use clause.

3 Likes

Darn, they closed that loophole!

Legislators thinking like lease hackrs now. LOL.

1 Like

You know, I can’t really be mad at that restriction. It’s fairly reasonable. :laughing:

4 Likes

Amazing isn’t it?

What about lease buyout of Chevy Bolt that was leased after GM credits ran out and therefore never qualified for EV credit even when new? Leased in Sept 2020.

2 Likes

Manchin’s hang up with the bill is the current inflation and he knows the real cost to bill is much higher. He has said Democrats should not enact temporary programs with the intention of extending them later. This is a time-honored budget gimmick Democrats have embraced for reducing the cost of their bill. They have started to sic the dogs on him, WaPo has a new hit piece about his blind trust and coal investments. That seems to me he isn’t playing ball if they are going that route already.

1 Like

I mean he literally bleeds coal country. He has significant coal investment and refuses to put them in a blind trust. Then he has to govern on energy policy as the swing vote. That’s about as conflict of interest as it gets.

7 Likes

Kinda like having a son on the board of a foreign gas company. :wink:

1 Like

Kinda not really the same, considering that the foreign gas company has nothing to do with the US and WV coal does.

4 Likes