Rumor: US EV credit to increase to $10,000

Didn’t Mitch say he’ll vote for it?

I have been watching a reddit user who closely follows the developments. Based on his assessment, there is very less chance for this to pass by Christmas. The most probable scenario is that it’s signed before the State of the Union address in January.

Going forward this will be known as The State of the U-Know, the thing address. 😶‍🌫️

5 Likes

I think that’s optimistic based on the CR that just passed. But not trying to get into the politics as much as to remind those who think these EV tax credits are coming: they haven’t passed the Senate, they aren’t imminent. I wouldn’t try and plan an EV purchase around them.

2 Likes

So if nothing passes this year will the current credit stipulations remain for next year or next year’s credit structure is completely up in the air?

1 Like

Correct. What you see listed here is what you get (from the Feds, if eligible)

https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml

2 Likes

Dems also lose their reconciliation shot for CY2021 if they don’t do one by EOY, right?

The short answer is no: it’s not constrained by the calendar year, and the reconciliation considerations are already attached to the House version of the bill.

I am not sure how this can work out if the bill adds provision to apply retroactively. For eg: Previous senate version had wording to apply this to purchases starting May or June of 2021. There are rumors that they can at least make it applicable starting Jan-1 of 2022 if it passes late into Jan/Feb. However, my doubt is regarding certain purchases assuming existing fed credit, but has the potential to be reduced on the bill getting passed. For eg: Someone purchases a PHEV made by non-union workers in January expecting 7.5k credit (or received a lease incentive of 7.5k) and later the bill reducing it when applied retroactively. Or, will it be like they get an exception to choose whichever gives higher credit?

There’s not much point in speculating until the Senate passes a version of the bill (as-is or with amendments).

2 Likes

I thought the whole point of the thread was endless speculation?

8 Likes

That language hasn’t been in the bbb act language for quite some time, if ever. There were a few asking for it, but nothing recently.

1 Like

Well sure. There was some discussion about the aspects that were possible realities, but now we’re half-pregnant with one reality. The prior Senate versions might completely take over or have zero impact on the outcome, impossible to know.

What is certain is: someone will post this weekend asking how to get the $12,500 credit on a new Tesla (which was never the correct number for that brand under any formula) — we have what we have :point_up_2:t2::point_up_2:t2:, until we have otherwise. (feel free to hit snooze again until February 1st)

1 Like

Let’s say this theoretical annoying Tesla purchaser asked you if he should hold off on buying one until 2022 - what would you say :smiley:

Of course, as of right now, Tesla tax credit is nada. I am in the opposite camp, the car I’m looking at will likely get tax credit reduced if anything passes.

2 Likes

Counter-point: Man born with South African emerald mine in his mouth, and benefitted from billions in state and federal tax dollars thinks nobody should have subsidies.

13 Likes

This Is Fine GIF

2 Likes

I also find that statement extremely hypocritical. We can debate on whether subsidizing EVs with tax payer money is the best (or less worse) idea, but Tesla benefited enormously from the Dept of Energy subsidized loan program in its early days when it transitioned from a start-up w 1,500 Roadster sold to a major auto manufacturer.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/tesla-gets-loan-approval-us-department-energy

WaPo: This government loan program helped Tesla at a critical time. Trump wants to cut it.

2 Likes

I wasn’t going to go there…but since you’ve brought it up… :rofl: :sweat_smile: